IGNORED

Forged irons players - when was your last checkup?

Note: This thread is 4406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Get your lofts and lies done!

Sounds like a cliche, but I just got my Cleveland TA1s regripped and had them check the lofts and lies. They were crazy wrong. I basically had two 4-irons and two 7 irons. No wonder I was struggling with distance control. The only two clubs at the proper angles were my 4, 6, and 9 irons. Guess which ones I felt most comfortable with?

Also, it's nice when you build up a rapport with your local golf shop owners. The guy did all the bending for free. I know it's not a big deal during their slow season, but it was a nice gesture and will make me consider looking there first next time.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I have never seen a new set come in perfectly on spec. I had mine bent when I bought them a few years ago and checked 6 months ago with no movement.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Any idea much something like this cost if you aren't a regular at the golf shops? I tried checking some of the major golf stores websites and nobody had a price for something like this.  I never got my forged clubs checked when they came in...seems like that might be a good idea.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

I had mine last checked in October.  During the season, I get them checked every 2 months.  With the softer metals in today's irons, even if you irons arent forged you should be getting them checked at least twice a year.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by RichWW2

Any idea much something like this cost if you aren't a regular at the golf shops? I tried checking some of the major golf stores websites and nobody had a price for something like this.  I never got my forged clubs checked when they came in...seems like that might be a good idea.

It's about $10 to get them checked and they give you a card with the numbers. It's handy to keep even if they're still at the factory specs. You may want to tweak a club or two to fill gaps (or to stretch things out a bit on either end of the bag), or in case you're really comfortable with them and want to buy a different set in the future. Anyway, it's typically ~ $5 per bend and considering I needed 6 of them bent, he saved me ~ $30. I could give the link or the shop's name, but I didn't start this thread so spam. Suffice to say there are only two full stocked golf shops in Red Deer and it was the other one (not where I'm getting lessons).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I never even thought to check mine. They're over a year old now,  I guess I probably should.

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

I do mine every few months. The clubs that I practice with a lot -- 5, 8, gap wedge -- get hammered upright pretty quickly. Our range is 4 days mats, 3 days grass.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I did myself a favor and bought my own Blue loft lie machine.  All my clubs are soft forged irons and really you will be shocked at how quickly the lie can change.  I just got a set of Mizuno MP63's and checked them from PW to 3 iron for loft and lie.  The clubs were pretty much dead on and I made a copy of every single setting.  I played those clubs about 3 weeks (maybe 12 round of golf) and hit them on our hard mats at the practice range quite a bit.  Yesterday I brought in my clubs home to check them again.  Every single one of them was off by between 1/2 a degree and 1 degree in Lie angle (all more upright), although there was not too much change in loft angle.  What bothers me is that this change happened in only 3 weeks.  I used to have clubs that I never checked for Lie and Loft angle before, until my club pro told me the reason I was having to aim so far right with short irons was that my lie was off (it was by 4 degrees).

Personally I think you play forged irons you absolutely have to have your lie checked regularly ... at least on your PW and 9 iron and 8 irons.  This is especially true if you play blades, where the sweet spot is already pretty small.  It really is a quick process and should take less than 10 to 15 minutes to do your entire set.  Not only will having a perfect lie keep your ball straighter off the face, it will also prevent unwanted side spin which can create havoc in windy conditions.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by spearq8

Personally I think you play forged irons you absolutely have to have your lie checked regularly ... at least on your PW and 9 iron and 8 irons.  This is especially true if you play blades, where the sweet spot is already pretty small.  It really is a quick process and should take less than 10 to 15 minutes to do your entire set.  Not only will having a perfect lie keep your ball straighter off the face, it will also prevent unwanted side spin which can create havoc in windy conditions.

Not just forgings, all irons.  Especially today's irons are using softer metals and they will change over time.  Forged or cast makes no difference in this aspect.  The kind of metal is what makes them soft, not whether the clubhead was cast or forged.

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

So, about 15 minutes to check the specs, is it pretty easy for them to make the adjustments? I'm pretty sure mine are screwy as well, its been about a year since I got mine from the factory. I hit off mats a good deal of the time.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

This is why I like Pings -- no worries about bending if they are on spec. Pings are heck to bend.

As to forgings, get them checked more frequently if you practice off mats. Normally, once or twice a year, depending on the amount of play.

As to bending, find someone who knows what they're doing. Some people bend them too fast, which can cause "spider" marks on the hosel. I also like guys to use a small towel or some type of cushion so my clubs are not marked.

Also, when you change loft, it seems to bend the lie. So always check lie after the loft is changed.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by lumpuckeroo

I just found an iPhone app that will check your loft and lie, My Golf Bag.

That's really bloody clever! Aussies FTW.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

During the season, I get them checked every 2 months.

Seems like overkill but better to be safe than sorry I guess. I visually inspect my clubs once a month…if they seem out of wack I'll take them in. But I will say I'm going on almost 3 years with these irons and I have only had them adjusted once (and that was when I first got them ;)

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

Originally Posted by Bump-n-MI

Seems like overkill but better to be safe than sorry I guess. I visually inspect my clubs once a month…if they seem out of wack I'll take them in. But I will say I'm going on almost 3 years with these irons and I have only had them adjusted once (and that was when I first got them ;)

If your loft or lie is off a degree or 2 you arent going to notice it with a visual inspection.  One real easy way to know you are due for an adjustment is when you suddenly start to struggle with a certain club or clubs.  Chances are if you do, the lie angle is likely off.

Also, if you notice that your distance is suddenly off a bit, chances are the loft needs to be adjusted.

It might seem like overkill to you but you need to remember that I practice every day for at least an hour and hit thousands of balls over the course of a year with my clubs.  If you only play once or twice a month and never practice, you may not need adjustments as often.

I hit Miura MC-102s and Scratch wedges, and only the check the lofts and lies in the spring when I re-grip.

Taylormade RocketBallz.....13° tour spoon;  Ping G15.....17° fairway wood;  Callaway RAZR X Blk.....24° fairway wood;

Epon AF-901....19° driving iron;  Wishon 870Ti....5-8 irons (1° weak), 9-iron (2° weak); Nakashima SuperSpin.....52, 58, 64° wedges;

Lovett Tour Standard.....sand iron; Louisville HB.....putter.

Note: This thread is 4406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!