IGNORED

Should Ernie Els Get a Masters Invitation?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should Ernie get an invite to the Masters?

• Yes
    • No

BTW, they just said that all Ernie needs to do is finish top-3 today & he's in The Masters. So if he can just stop yanking putts left he can play in it. Let's watch!

Originally Posted by zipazoid

...and he just gakked a two-footer.

Yeah, Mize would have made that.

• Upvote 1

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

They just showed a graphic of the players outside the top-50, i.e., not yet qualified to play in the The Masters. There's 7 guys ahead of Els, including Retief Goosen.

So shouldn't the title of this thread be, should Goosen get Masters invite? Dude's won two US Opens after all....

• Administrator

So shouldn't the title of this thread be, should Goosen get Masters invite? Dude's won two US Opens after all....

A fair point, yep. I think Ernie is the focus because of his gagged finish a week ago.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Okay so here it is. Els is one shot behind Bud Cauley for 3rd place & The Masters invite. If he can't beat Bud Who for 3rd place, cmon now. He doesn't deserve a Masters invite. Sorry.

As does Doug Ford, Tommy Aaron, Fuzzy Zoeller, George Archer & Craig Stadler. You win & you have a lifetime exemption. So why pick on Mize?

That doesn't make 'selection process' a joke though. It just makes it what they wish it to be. They honor their past.

But they also honor the present with the rest of the ways to get in. Bottom line is, Ernie hasn't gotten the job done. If he doesn't qualify he doesn't deserve to be there.

If they never had give special invites then I would agree.  But there is long history of special invitations for players who did not qualify.  There are a lot of reasons why EE deserves such an invitation more than the vast majority of those who have gotten them in the past.  Like having qualified for more than 15 years in a row.  Like being a 3-time major winner.  Like being a multiple time runner up.  Like having just been inducted into the Hall of Fame.  Personally I think they should have an informal unwritten policy that any time a player who has qualified for 10 or more years in a row fails to qualify they get a one-time special invitation.

It is easy to say that if he doesn't qualify he doesn't deserve to be there, but that is not how the tournament has been run in the past.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

They don't do sponsor's exemptions at The Masters. It's a major.

No they don't do sponsor's exemptions, they give special invitations.  A distinction without a difference.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Huge difference. Sponsor's exemptions at regular tour events are to try to increase the gate - the local amateur phenom & so on. The Masters don't have to worry about the gate. Their 'special invitations' are to reward special players, not create sideshows.

In other words, you can be sure that John Daly will never snag one.

• Administrator

I think he was being sarcastic. I'd hope so anyway.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Watching Els putt makes me nervous and it just seems like he's totally lost it with the putter. I don't think he deserves an invite based on his current play but I wouldn't be upset if he got one. The point about past champions teeing it up with no shot of winning is pointless because there is NO WAY Els would have a chance at winning with his putting.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

http://golf.about.com/od/progolftours/a/sponsor-exemptions.htm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1196276/index.htm

Two weeks away from the Masters, always the most anticipated tournament of the year, a little-noticed race-within-the-race on the PGA Tour—the hunt for coveted special exemptions—has begun to take shape. (Tournament officials can invite, through sponsor's and foreign exemptions, anyone they choose. A PGA Tour member can accept an unlimited number of sponsor's exemptions, while a nonmember can take only seven a year.

Bag
Adams Redline
Adams 3,5 Woods
Ping Zing 2
SaddlesPutter - Icon III

I think he deserves it...he's been playing pretty well of late.  He'll do a whole lot better than the random foreigners and amateurs who get to play.  yeah his putting is a little shaky but its not like he has been missing cuts and playing terrible lately.  I would say two top 5's in a row isn't playing too bad.  In my opinion, he is gonna get the invite regardless of what we think.  And yes, he will accept.

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Ernie deserves consideration but If he can't get in on merit, I don't think he would want to play. Or unless they invoke the "ernie els" rule and offer a special invite to a deserving player every year which i think they kind of do already. On a side note, the field I would like to see at the Masters would include the following:

-Top 40 American Pros

-Top 10 American Amateurs

-Top 20 International Pros

-Top 5 International Amateurs

-past champions that don't otherwise qualify assuming they have full status on an official tour

I think some people forget that the Masters is suppose to celebrate amateur golfers

Note: This thread is 4265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!