IGNORED

Jim Furyk's new sponsor - 5 Hour Energy

Divot Master
Note: This thread is 4128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

If anyone is stupid enough to start drinking 5 Hour Energy just because some golfer endorses it, well, shame on you.

Oh, it's not for the players, it's aimed at people following his group for 18 holes.

But still, all those millions of teenagers who follow every move on with the PGA Tour (especially with with Jim Furyk) will surely dabble in this product.

Seriously though, how does this warrant a thread? Did nobody have a problem with his Johnny Walker sponsorship?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Wow, I can't believe some who even care about this. Really? It's a new sponser for Jim. Thats it. Chill out people.

Borderline illegal drug? Seriously? Have you even drank a cup of coffee? Some of these comments are hilarious.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by mvmac

What troubles me the most is how bad the logo on the hat looks

Yeah seriously. It's actually completely void of a logo.

Thats a good point. People are complaining that this is a dangerous product, but no one mentions the thousands upon thousands that are dying every year from melted livers, blacked out murders, DWI catastrophes, etc. I LOVE how alcohol gets such a free pass in society.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Oh, it's not for the players, it's aimed at people following his group for 18 holes.

But still, all those millions of teenagers who follow every move on with the PGA Tour (especially with with Jim Furyk) will surely dabble in this product.

Seriously though, how does this warrant a thread? Did nobody have a problem with his Johnny Walker sponsorship?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

I'm sorry but you sound ridiculous. What do you want to do, ban 5 hour energy? Its freaking caffeine, maybe some taurine or something else. No, ravers do not ABUSE 5 hour energy. You cannot stay up until 6 am off caffeine. They are using cocaine, speed, and ecstasy to stay up all night.

Sounds like you want the ultimate nanny state...

He didn't say he wanted to ban it, just that it isn't something he would like to see sponsored by a pro golfer.  He also called it an unregulated drug which is hard to disagree with.  It's caffiene, and caffiene is a drug.  Anybody can go to the store and buy as much as they want ... I'd say that's unregulated.  The reason why it's different coffee or soda is the concentration.  I won't speak for high schoolers or ravers, but I can easily see how it could be abused because it comes in 2 oz. bottles.

It's just not the IMAGE the OP would like to see on the PGA tour, just like a lot of us would never want to see a golfer with a beer or cigarette logo on his hat.  I certainly don't want to BAN beer or cigarettes.

Did nobody have a problem with his Johnny Walker sponsorship?

Oh crud, I forgot about this.  He's actually going in the right direction coming (drug lethality-wise) from hard liquor to caffeine.

The Five Hour Energy helps him "Keep Walking"... and walking and walking and walking.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Seriously though, how does this warrant a thread?

Wow...

I thought the purpose of chat rooms was to encourage conversations, not to stifle them.

24 responses in 17 hours, about 50/50 pro and con.  Seems like there is certainly enough diversity of opinion here to warrant a discussion.

Marshall

I assumed it was a battery company.

I think it's hilarious that they chose Furyk. Of all the "low energy", drab, dull and boring golfers, he's right up there. And I doubt that he'd have a following amongst the hipsters who want to drink this garbage.

Hate the term, but it's not a "good fit".

Unless they chose him because he looks 80 years old and non golfers are supposed to think "Wow - this guy is still playing, so it must work!"

He should go back to his bowling shirts and the picture would be complete.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Divot Master

Watching the tournament last weekend, I saw that Jim Furyk had a new sponsor on his shirt and cap - 5 Hour Energy shots.  Does anyone besides me find this troubling?  This product is essentially an unregulated drug that is abused widely by high schoolers, ravers, and truck drivers.  Hardly the image I would think the PGA Tour wants to promote.

I think it's naive to expect PGA Tour pros to create some kind of image with their choice of sponsors. Many have been sponsored by financial companies and we all know how sleazy they can be. It's a slippery slope when start to judge these companies. There was a time when pros were sponsored by companies making alcoholic beverages and cigarette companies.

I highly doubt that very many teenagers look up to Furyk.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Once again, TitleistWI's irony detector malfunctions.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

Once again, TitleistWI's irony detector malfunctions.

Millions of oversized button up shirt and pleated baggy pants wearing teenagers are likely very alert (5 hours at a time) right now. Maybe even in your own city or town!!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Millions of oversized button up shirt and pleated baggy pants wearing teenagers are likely very alert (5 hours at a time) right now. Maybe even in your own city or town!!!

I'm working on my putting routine. The "about to pull the trigger and then got stung by a bee" routine looks way cool!

• Upvote 1

Slapping any kind of label like "unregulated drug" on caffeine is just pathetic. 5 hour energy is a decent product, its worked for me in the past. Nothing wrong with this ad.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

He didn't say he wanted to ban it, just that it isn't something he would like to see sponsored by a pro golfer.  He also called it an unregulated drug which is hard to disagree with.  It's caffiene, and caffiene is a drug.  Anybody can go to the store and buy as much as they want ... I'd say that's unregulated.  The reason why it's different coffee or soda is the concentration.  I won't speak for high schoolers or ravers, but I can easily see how it could be abused because it comes in 2 oz. bottles.

It's just not the IMAGE the OP would like to see on the PGA tour, just like a lot of us would never want to see a golfer with a beer or cigarette logo on his hat.  I certainly don't want to BAN beer or cigarettes.

Yeah, I don't think there is anything wrong with the product...like a lot of you have said, its basically just vitamin B.  I actually drink them from time to time, but just not before a round of golf.   On that 5 Hour Energy isn't the first sponsor that doesn't fit with golf.  Actually, a majority have absolutely nothing to do with golf....except for Hooters.   That being said, I don't mind he is sponsored by 5 hour energy...except for that ugly hat he wears now.  What I do have a problem with is how the commercial makes it look like he downing a 5 hour energy drink every round...I just seriously doubt that he drinks those when he plays.  Working out, yes.  In a tournament, No.

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I think it's a bit desperate on his part to take on such a product, but in reality it's no worse than Redbull or Starbucks.  Every NFL game is sponsored by Budweiser and Coors so hard to be too critical of Furyk.

Originally Posted by jamo

Yup. You could even say it's better than Red Bull because it has no sugar.

Originally Posted by mvmac

What troubles me the most is how bad the logo on the hat looks

I think that these three posts really cover it.  The OP is right that 5 Hour Energy among other energy drinks are abused, especially by teens; but really, what isn't.  I really wouldn't go so far as to say that it is an unregulated drug and I'll admit to drinking one before the first hole before teeing off when I've worked late the night before.  I really don't think that drinking 5 Hour Energys is any worse than people that drink a couple of pots of coffee every day.  The thing I thought was the worst about it was how huge and ugly the logo looked.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

My favorite endorsement on the PGA is Chik-fil-a. Do people actually eat that garbage? I ate there once and the breading on the chicken strips tasted like it was fried for 25mins as the kid behind the register working the fryer forgot to drink a 5 hour energy and fell asleep... Letting the fryer win.

Note: This thread is 4128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!