IGNORED

Closest Call/ Worst thing you've hit with a golf ball?

MacGregor9
Note: This thread is 4404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm talking about errant shots, and all that stuff. You could have hit something, or just had a close call.

Mine was when I skulled my 60 degree in my first year of playing. It went through a chain link fence that was about 20 yards behind the green and hit a tire of a Range Rover. I could just see my golf money going towards repairing that window, until I got a break and it bounced off the tire. Phew!

Nothing real drastic here - if someone hits one out of bounds, I want to at least hear it hit a house.

A couple of weeks ago I drilled a house so hard that my ball ended up back in the middle of the fairway - saving me from being destroyed by that same 17th hole that ruined my round the 1st time I had played that course.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I myself have never hit anything with my ball except the ground and a good number of trees, but my dad once may have hit a squirrel (we couldn't tell for sure but it came within 8 inches) and yesterday my buddy nearly hit a duck on a water carry off an elevated tee. Not a proud moment for either of them.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Hit my dad about two years ago. I was trying to punch a 7 iron between two trees and the ball hit a low hanging branch solidly. The ball came straight back over my head and hit my dad in the thigh. He was fine, but I felt pretty bad about it.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher DST

Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 3H

Irons: Cleveland Launcher

Wedges: Cleveland cg 15 46, 52, 56, 60

Putter: Odyssey tour black

Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

My brother in law has hit more geese than I can count. You wouldn't believe how loud of a "thunk" a well struck 4 iron will make when it contacts a goose.

To be clear, he isn't trying to hit the geese; it's just luck...unless you're a goose.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

i hit the club house on a small exec course due to over clubbing on a downhill 9th hole, twice on two separate occasions. its bad because people regularly stand around exactly where my bal hit

luckily i missed people both times and the window that looks out to the 9th green. man if it hit that window someone inside wouldve taken a spray of glass and a golf ball to the face

I hit myself once when I was first learning to play.  Hit a tree and it came straight back at me and hit me in the thigh.  Left a pretty good bruise.  My father in law fell out of the cart laughing at me once he knew I was OK.

• Upvote 1

Was trying to punch out from the trees, unwisely trying to split two trunks. The ball ricocheted off one and headed right back at me and hit me in the throat just above the center of my collar bone. Fun times...

When I had just purchased my first 60* I tried to use it from about 40 yards.  I ended up sculling the ball with almost a full swing.  I was playing with my mother at the time and she was watching me from the other side of the green.  The ball went over the green and bounced at least 3 times and at least two of which were on the cart path, the ball hit my mother right between the eyes.  She was wearing a pair of large designer sunglasses and the ball hit them at the bridge of the nose.  Luckily she was completely unhurt.  After I hit the shot I thought the ball is heading right toward you, move you idiot!  Thank goodness she didn't, if she had turned her head at the last second the ball would have hit her in the side of the head right around the temple.  I guess being a deer in headlights works out sometimes.

That club got me back about a week later, I was with my uncle around the chipping area and he wanted to try the 60*,this was about 1999 so 60*'s were somewhat unusual.  I after I hit my shots I said sure and went to get my balls than he than did the same thing as I did except he must of hit it off the toe as well and hit me in the small of the back from about 30 feet it hurt quite a bit but the resulting bruise made me realize how lucky I had been when I hit my mother.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

i hit the club house on a small exec course due to over clubbing on a downhill 9th hole, twice on two separate occasions. its bad because people regularly stand around exactly where my ball hit

luckily i missed people both times and the window that looks out to the 9th green. man if it hit that window someone inside wouldve taken a spray of glass and a golf ball to the face

My local coarse has the dining room set up so they overlook the the 18th fairway I think they did this to help lure PGA events for a special V.I.P. section, so one time I hit my approach and hit the windows on a fly and it was rather embarrassing to go right up next to the glass in front of people having lunch after finishing thier round and hit my next shot.  Luckily I hit it about 5' from the pin so I didn't look like a total hack.

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

Hahaha....if you play long and often enough, you'll have tons of stories. I don't even know where to begin, but never broke anything!! I attribute that to my great golf skill.......LOL...JK

I've bounced balls off a street nearly missing cars,   I hit a straight towering shot over a treeline once that bordered OB....never threatening homes, but an angry homeowner walked my ball all the way to the fairway edge and threw it at me...(not sure what happened there)  I once bounced a ball of a guys deck.....a guy I know!    He's one of those idiot homeowners known for yelling at people for hitting errand shots...LOL.   Well, I bounced one off his deck and he promptly comes out of his kitchen and grabs my ball that came to rest in his backyard.  I could tell....he was pissed!!   I yelled from a distance while approaching............ "HEY DAVE!!!" Hahaha...  I could see smoke coming from his ears from afar, but when he finally saw it was me he wisely took a chill pill.  We've played before and he knows my game......sh!t happens......

my favorite....i nailed it story:

I was in the trees near OB trying to hack the ball into play.   Large homes were under construction very close.......a ricochet hit a 12' tall pane of glass dead square..............it must have been shatterproof glass because I nailed it hard.  I was shocked that it didn't break.....LOL

Construction guys inside working were all looking at me with that WTF? look on their faces.  Hahahahaha..... I could go on and on.......

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Where to start:
Hit a goose walking in front of me on a tee shot.  Made a nice thump sound.  The goose shook it off and kept walking.  Tough goose.
Hit a cart girls cart.  Came by the green right when I was hitting into said green.
Hit a cart girl. Different day, different cart girl, same course.  She was on the next tee box to the next tee near the green I was hitting into.

Hit many houses. Only been yelled at once.  Don't buy a home on a golf course and expect it to never get hit. Not my fault your house is a ball magnet.
Hit a car. Parking lot behind 18th green. Flew the green. No damage, thank god.
Hit the clubhouse.  Different course as one above. Overlooking 18th green, once again, flew the green.
I'm sure there are a lot more that I'm forgetting...

I've also been hit by golf balls more than a few times, so I think it all evens out.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Not including wrapping two of my clubs around a tree (mistakenly of course):

1. Hit a a colonlel from the airmy once who was in the 4 ball ahead of me....got it really flush with a fairway wood and it went a lot further than I anticipated. The course was owned by the army, so when he went down, I was surrounded by Army guys (fortunately, he was ok and didn't want his colleagues to beat the crap out of me);

2. Hit an antilope once...playing at Victoria Falls (Afirca)...local course rules...two stroke penalty for hitting any wildlife!

I hit a guy one time.  The shot wasn't errant either.  Actually a perfectly struck drive, a little too perfect.  I hadn't played the course much and the guy I was playing with assured me the group ahead of us was out of range and to go ahead and hit.  Drilled a poor guy right below the rib cage on the fly.  He was standing right in the middle of the fairway too.  I drove up and apologized, asked him if he was alright.  He looked at me like I was a moron, but was cool about it.

Another time I was teeing off on a hole that had houses all down the left side.  A guy was building a gazebo in his backyard.  I snap hooked the ball and it flew right in the gazebo while he was in there.  The ball didn't hurt him, but it bounced around in there a couple times.  Sounded like a shotgun going off he said.  LOL.

Playing with my Dad....he hit a worm burner nailed a seagull standing in the fairway.  Killed it instantly.  He felt horrible about it.  Had to drag it off the fairway by it's legs.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

• Administrator

I'm not sure I've ever hit anything, really. I've hit the cart barn left of the 18th at Lake View a few times but that's not that far off-line and it ricochets off trees to get there anyway.

I've been around when other people have hit things.

• A car left of the practice range (Joe, HS golf team).
  • My friend right in the back after a bladed bunker shot by another friend (HS golf team)
  • A beverage cart left of the 18th hole at a course in Ohio when I played with George.
  • A guy in the foursome ahead of me nailed a house once.
  • I played with a guy who flew a green and hit a car in the parking lot, also a bladed bunker shot as there are BIG mounds behind the green to hide the parking lot.

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

Oh, we used to pepper the halfway house. It was about 275 slightly uphill on the practice range. Then they moved the practice range.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Back in the early 90s, I hit a goose with a ball struck by a  persimmon 3-wood. It stopped the ball dead in front of the green of that long par-3.

So far, I've never been struck by any balls, a couple of close calls on mishit irons by playing partners, and I've had a couple of balls roll up near to me while standing out in the fairway. The most recent was a case of guy pulling his shot left at the hole next to the one I was one, the other one was the case of a guy who had been sort of jumping up and down behind my group all day long, although we weren't the problem of the tepid pace -- the course was backed all the way up. The guy should have known better, we were standing out there obviously waiting to hit our second shots from the positions of our drives, but he went ahead and hit his drive. It rolled about 5 yards past me. I pulled a broken tee out of my pocket, picked up his ball, and then teed his ball up in the fairway and left it like that. Funny enough, his group then backed off for the rest of the round, so I guess the message got through -- back off, I'm being polite enough to not stomp your ball into the ground, or steal your ball, or whack it off into the woods, but I'm giving you a polite message to not be a dick. My guess is that his playing partners probably slapped him down a bit.

Five wooded a ball into the cart of a foursome of "older" people ahead of us that were taking too long to clear the green.  They had been routinely taking multiple putts all day (do overs) besides driving back and forth to each others ball while on the fairway.  I was told to go ahead, as I was told I (we) "couldn't reach them from where we were".  Two sounds followed.....a perfect sweet spot "ting" from shot impact, and shortly after a loud "thwack" from the ball hitting one of their carts, while one of them were in it.  We weren't bothered by the marshal for the rest of the round.  We also never caught up to the foursome again.... At least the ball was an easy chip to the green from where it came to rest.

Note: This thread is 4404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!