IGNORED

How Do YOU Buy Used Golf Clubs Online?

2nd Swing Golf
Note: This thread is 4370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lately I've been looking into best practices for online used golf club retailers after reading this article, "Actual Photo vs Manufacturer Stock Photo: The Ethics of Selling Used Golf Clubs Online" by John Fritz of 2nd Swing Golf .

Golf retailers typically follow one MO when listing used clubs online, which entails using a manufacturer stock photo to represent all the used items of that product, then they give you a “rating system” that is supposed to accurately describe the condition of the clubs.  This rating system, I assure you, is arbitrary, and represents a conflict of interest.

2 nd Swing Golf does not participate in this “conflict of interest.” We provide real photos, taken in our own club photography studio.  The photos are all high-resolution and are not touched-up.  What you see is exactly what you get.  In this way 2 nd Swing is able to offer its customers an objective account of the condition of the golf club up for sale, which is not swayed or manipulated by arbitrary rating systems.

I'd like to hear all your thoughts on the matter, please share!

BELOW: pic of 2nd Swing Golf's Club Photography Studio

Friday 011-800.jpg

I would much rather see actual photos over stock photos.  I have not been personally burned by an inaccurate description or rating, but I don't think I would ever buy anything "sight unseen" no matter how good of price the item may have.

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour
 :odyssey: White Ice 330, 33in  :aimpoint:    :true_linkswear:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

LOL.

How do YOU spell used?

just playin'

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Anything I've ever purchased from a company using the rating system was better than listed, not the other way around, but . . . yes I'd appreciate a photo of the actual item, especially if any flaws or idiot marks are included in a HIGH RES photo.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I have purchased several clubs on ebay...both new & used.

When purchasing used, I like the pix to be actual pix of the item on sale. I also review their club rating, shipping cost and whether they have other products for sale.

I purchase most of my clubs used and I prefer a photo of the actual product I'm buying along with a rating of the club's condition.  I will say that actual photos that are too blurry or low res to really see anything are extremely annoying.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

I will NEVER buy a used golf club where they use a stock photo. No matter what condition they claim.

I would NEVER buy a used putter without close up photos of the actual putter, especially the topline.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

On ebay - definitely want to see pictures.  I have bought from Callaway pre-owned by just description, though.

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

I always prefer to see an actual photo of the club or clubs that Im buying.  A rating system is great but in the end you are still trusting the seller to be honest about it and not all of them are.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I guess I don't buy used clubs on line unless I am looking for a single & specific club that I can't get locally.  But I'm lucky to live in a golf capital that has many pro shops and stores that sell used clubs and you can try before buy.  I used to do that but got burned a couple of times so I learned.  The comment above about you are trusting the seller is sure true so I was to ever do it again I would not buy from an unknown source.

Butch

Stick to this plan guys - and spread the word. Never every bid on items from sellers using stock photos!!

More good deals on mint condition clubs for me!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Recently, I purchased a used set of Mizuno MP-53's from Golfsmith.  5 thru PW + 50* GW MP T11.  They asked $400, I got them down to $300 then traded in my Cally X24 Hots (4-SW) that I had not been hitting very well.  Got $210 for the X24 Hots...so paid $100 for the MP-53's.  I got them primarily because they had the Project X 4.5 graphite shaft.  I had hit it on the launch monidor and really liked it better than Mizuno's stock graphite shaft.

Well, it has been 5 weeks since I bought them and I have won $$$ every week for the last 5 weeks......$390 total......Glad I decided to switch.....the MP-53's feel so smooth when I strike the ball.....and the trajectory is absolutely straight!

I have to see pics of face and sole before I will buy irons or wedges.  I feel if they use a stock photo or only pics of back, they are trying to hide something.  For woods and hjybrids I ned pics of top and bottome of club.

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Pics of the actual clubs is important. I've bought online before, but probably wouldn't do so anymore as it's a personal, feel thing and I'd rather be able to see, feel what I'm buying. eBay purchases don't provide enough benefits cost wise. You can always buy used clubs in person and know exactly what you're getting.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Pictures of the actual club are a must for me.  For irons I'd like to see the club faces (all of 'em) as well as the backs and the soles.  For woods/hybrids I want to see the sole, face, and crown.  It's nice if there is also a picture showing grip condition but it's not an absolute must.  Having a rating system is nice and all but I'd rather just see what I'm buying.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Note: This thread is 4370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!