IGNORED

How did you start playing this wonderful game?

buckeyekid1996
Note: This thread is 4385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was given a toy golf club at some point and was hitting around during a cook out when I was 5 and must have hit it into my parent's friends one too many times so my dad got pissed and folded it up into 1/3's and hid it from me. I found it later and unfolded it resuming golf as I knew it. I then didn't mess around with golf clubs again until 13-14, I was ALWAYS interested in golf though. My best friend and I shared a neighbors set of clubs and played at the 9 hole golf course. Talk about slice O rama. Played golf my whole 15th summer, every day. Tried out for the school team and didn't make it. A few of the other kids cheated and secretly I was scared to play in front of people so I was glad I didn't make it.

Shortly after I had other summer interests and back to baseball. I played golf probably 12 times from age 16 to 39, with the same irons I bought when I was 14. I started back up 3 years ago after my dad took up the game in 2001 he finally got me going again. He retired in 2010 and I thought he would come out to play for a while but never did. He ended up going into a coma after a surgical f-up and died shortly after in Feb 2011 so if you have kids that want to spend time with you, break away and do it now because you never know what tomorrow might bring.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I was about 12, my mother told me I was going to take lessons... golf or tennis?  I chose tennis.  One of the biggest regrets of my life. About seven years later, I started playing golf in college.  I'm 40 now, so I've been playing more than half of my life.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Started when I was about 4. My Dad would take me out to the putting green in the evenings after work (like 6- 6:30). Then later, I remember hitting 7 irons in my backyard when I was about 4 1/2. I was addicted to the game ever since, and am getting some looks from colleges which is a lot of fun.

Probably around the age of 12 I was taken to the golf course by my step-dad as a way to get my mother off his back about "never spending time with us kids" because he worked every weekend.

Never touched clubs unless I was playing, never practiced at all. I went through the "best ball" stage with my stepdad until probably picking up the game and practicing this past year. Went from 120 to 85 in about 6 months. It was awesome. I was the "little kid" my stepdad didnt have any competition and I was more of a pest. Then Im now competition. Im ready to beat him now!!!

I caught the bug probably about 6 months ago. Been practicing in our pastures ever since. Rain, cold, sleet, rain. Mostly 6iron to Lob Wedge, but hey. It works.

I've wanted to play golf since I was 11 or 12 but never had anyone to do it with.  Last year at 25, I grew tired of just waiting and I knew someone that played golf, so I bought a set of clubs and starting hitting the range as much as possible.  Good decision, though it is a bummer I only have one playing partner.  Haven't played much at all this year, three rounds and a handful of range sessions.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

I found some clubs that my neighbor put out for the trash when i was 15 or so.  The neighbor showed me a thing or two and I started playing a local par 3 with a friend.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Started caddying for my Grandfather when I was 8 (1959). I pulled his BagBoy cart every Saturday morning for several years......he gave me some clubs and I started playing....after caddying.  Now, 53 years later, I thank my Grandfather every week when I tee off.

Started playing at about 28 years old when I noticed that everybody who got promoted at the company I was working for just happened to play golf. Not only did I get the promotions I was looking for, I also found a game that I love.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

First time I ever played was on a Par 3 course when I was 13 years old. I can remember it like yesterday. My uncle took my brother and I out. Had the time of my life even though the ball rolled along the ground most of the time. I remember hitting the ball off the tee on one hole and landing the green. That feeling after hitting that shot is what hooked me. My brother and I played pretty often until I was a Senior in high school, then just a few rounds a year until I eventually quit playing all together.

Then, 5 years ago at the age of 27 I got a new job and one of the guys here who played golf convinced me to dust off my sticks and come play. Been hooked ever since. Deep down, I wish I would have kept playing on a regular basis all this time.

As a teenager i used to go to the driving range just to hit the driver as far as possible but i got tired of hearing my grandpa uncle brother cousin and dad talk about all their golfing experiences and plans and i felt like i was left out so on june 25 2011 i played my first real course with my friends who golfed. i used some hand me down clubs. somewhere along the way i was hooked and have shot 89 88 and 90 on my last 3 rounds at pretty tough courses. I am seeing how many strokes i can cut off by june 25 since i specifically remember shooting between 115 and 117 for the first few months of me golfing. it feels great to be at bogie golf in less than a year. actually just beat my brother who has been playing for 17 years on saturday. he started off 7 7 then par for the rest of the front 9 so he had a bad round but even when i have a bad round my friends cant beat me so it says im close at least and i crush my uncle.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

I grew up playing soccer and surfing.  I pretty much looked at golf as a joke.

Flash forward: I work in Oklahoma (no surfing ) and my ankle injuries have caught up with me. I can't run or my ankle gives out on me (to the point where I can't walk for about three or four days). Needed something to do for exercise, but I couldn't run and swimming in a pool is boring.

Spent two years feeling sorry for myself, and making excuses to my neighbor every time he invited me to play.

Then I ran out of excuses.  He took me to a par-3 9-hole course, and I was hooked. Well, 'sliced' actually.  I played terribly, but I saw the potential.  That was about three years ago, and I'm still obsessed.

My uncle was a golf pro here in Australia, got me my first set at about 13 but I never played much. Wasn't until about 10 years later I played with some mates and realised what a fun game it can be. Hooked for life now.

Suffered a grade 2 Medial Collatral ligament tear to my left leg and an ACL tear to my right. After the injuries i couldnt play football (soccer) anymore so decided to give golf a try. Bought some dunlop irons and went from there...

909 D2 10.5º S-Flex   RBZ 3W 15º S-Flex

909h 19º S-Flex

G15 (4-6) i15 (7-PW) Project X Rifle 5.5  52º, 56º & 58º

California Del Mar 34"     Pro-V1

"Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic"

My boss invited me out when I was around 20 year old. I had never played before...nor had I even really considered playing. I was hooked immediately and have been playing ever since.

About 5 years ago, my brother-in-law who I am very close with bought me a set of clubs for Christmas. He and my sister play all the time and they thought it would be great to get me into the game so I can take up golfing with them. 2 years later, I get married and get my wife a set of clubs and now she plays with me at times. Fast forward to today and we are all still golfing together. Just came back from Palm Desert where we had a great golfing Easter weekend.

Growing up my dad would take me to a tiny chip and putt place by me every Sunday. That's where I learned my swing. My Dad never took me on a real course because he has an unplayable slice and never cared enough to try to fix it. I started playing seriously about 3-4 years ago with my Uncle. Now we golf about once a week.  I shoot in the low 90's. My goal this season is to consistently break the 90's. I'm close.

Have never taken lessons in my life...though now that my Uncle has/is taking them and getting noticeably better...I will be taking some soon as well.

My dad took my brother and I to the driving range as kids (never really "played")...I'd still go from time to time, but two years ago, my wife bought me a cheap set of clubs, and I've been hooked ever since!

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Note: This thread is 4385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!