IGNORED

Hitting the Driver 250+

Note: This thread is 1684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Seems that most people are concerned with hitting the driver straight and go for years searching for fundamentals to accomplish this. The big problem I see with this is that moves to manipulate the swing path or face angle suck the power right out of the swing. So, I see a lot of people who have learned to hit the driver straight - but in the low 200's. I equate the driver swing to swinging a heavy axe into a tree. With that move, there is a lot of body action and no room for wrist or arm wrist manipulation. As I got better at golf, I got tired of being shorter than other good players. On my way to learning how to swing for the fences I learned - by using a swing speed meter - that any club manupulation at all would kill swing speed. Muscling the club with every ounce of power would also kill swing speed. I eventually got my swing speed to 100mph+ by using a long and smooth swing. To get the extra length in the backswing and to have a smooth flowing transition I needed to stay extra loose and not 'load up' at address. Of particular importance was to let the momentum of the backswing pull my loose upper body all the way taught. With this, I can use my hips to pull the club through the swing with totally relaxed arms. Today, I strive to have as long a back swing as possible without rushing the transition prior to my upper body becomining taught. With this method, it is quite easy to close the clubface with the timing of the hips. This allows you to hit straight and far. My bottom line tip here is to learn to hit straight - and far - at the same time. Learning to hit far will change how you learn to hit straight.

If you swing a club like you are chopping wood then good luck ever breaking 80.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you swing a club like you are chopping wood then good luck ever breaking 80.

Seems you've missed my point. What I am saying is that big drives are not made up of non-athletic movements. It's a powerful full body action based on a long and flowing motion.

Gary woodland hits it harder than anyone on tour and his swing is short and compact. So is JB holmes.  Different ways to get it done just because bubba and john were long doesn't mean it works for everyone.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Long swings can have a lot of wasted moves... Wasted moves = less power.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I would have to agree, there are many ways to hit the ball long, its not just one swing type. Though i think the majority would be those will very lengthy swings, like bubba who can get his hands really high..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think there's a lot that goes into hitting the ball "far" whether people realize it or not.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

there isn't a one size fits all recipe for anything in golf, it literally is different strokes for different folks.

• Upvote 1

karsten 10deg driver

fat shaft irons

tour ii putter

prov1x

i was always a hit it short & straight kind of player.   I have since tried hard to change a few things to get more distance, which I did, but began spraying it all over - no consistency.    The game is just alot more fun from the fairways - I'm going back to the short & straight regimen ... I do have a reknown respect for the pros that can swing as hard as they do & keep it straight - thats just art in motion.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Although, I'm 6'1" and have long arms, I'm also very flexible.  It's that which I give a lot of credit to to give me more power.  It's a combination of a strong and flexible core to build up torque at the top of your swing and release it as you hit the ball.  Hitting the ball far is fun, but definitely comes at the price of control and consistency.  Took me a couple years to finally get a more or less consistent swing with my driver that will carry me 280+yds.  The other key is point of impact on the driver face.  If you can hit the sweet spot every single time, distance will improve.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

tshapiro

I like your advice. I was a hitter for many years, and it really was no fun. The ball went nowhere. The long smooth swing is the way to

go, just like you mentioned. I don't own it yet, but the game is a lot more fun when you know you can reach most longish par fours with too

good swings. Gonna pick up a swing speed meter like you use.

phillyk

You sir are a storyteller of the first rate. No way you are a 5 living in that country, it rains everyday up there!!!! I'm kidding of course. That

course (can't remember the name) a few miles south of Bellingham of the frontage road was my favoriate place to play. Cheap , pretty

and as a single they usually joined you up with someone inside a half an hour. Back to the long drive business. On 15 ? a par 5, 250

straight out and then 250 almost  dead left into the green. You can't cut the corner tree are too big, draw is the shot on that hole. Anyway

i'm playing with a Gentleman and his 12 yo son (5' nothing 100 and nothing) On 15 I hit the shot of my life 20 yards off the dogleg and right

around the corner 210 left. The kids gets up there with tshapiro's long smooth swing and hits what looks like a duck hook. When we get to

our balls he's maybe 5yds behind me!! It was very impressive.

It's taken me a long time to understand, but long slow easy is the way to go. I'm almost 67 and still learning, aint this a great game??

It certainly is difficult to remain a 5, but I'm used to playing in this environment, just as you may be used to a different environment.  My coping mechanism is being able to carry the ball a good 280+yds.  I mean just the other day I played at my home course, it is a downhill tee shot, no wind, and I carried my drive 340yds (it was plugged, b/c as u say it is wet).   I still credit this to being able to hit the sweet spot, while releasing the built up torque from a solid core and good flexibility.  My height is just a minor plus, as I know many shorter people that can hit the ball fairly far.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Long drives are overated Ive rrecently chopped my driver down, lost 20 odd yards in length but gained accuracy,..... Shot a career low of 81 today,.go figure lol

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

Long drives are overated

Ive rrecently chopped my driver down, lost 20 odd yards in length but gained accuracy,.....

Shot a career low of 81 today,.go figure lol

How far does the chopped down driver go?  The threads title is 250 plus.  I think 250-260 if longish but not silly long.  I average 240 but 20 yards would help my game.

anywhere between 230-240 carry,....9.5* loft so up to 25-35 yards roll on top of that,...but thats swinging hard,....an easy within myself swing probably knock 20 yards off the above figures,...

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Speed in my swing comes for proper hand movement. I'm not crazy long but long enough.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Note: This thread is 1684 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!