IGNORED

2012 Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like Johnson's game. He came off like able in whatever golf channel show was where the pros take you out on their course. Also his game is unreal. Super solid player and he has plenty of fight. All of that said, I am pulling for differ because he seems normal and cool.

HiBore XLS 9.5* Driver

AMP 15* SF 3 Wood

R11 3 and 4 hybrid

AP1 712 5-GW

52* Gap Wedge

SV 56* Wedge

SV 60* Wedge

35" Melbourne Putter

Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by ajst22

How? He just sounds confident. I don't see any arrogance in him and he seems like a nice guy.

I think you'll find that most of the players come across as nice guys when the cameras and microphones are focused on them. Wink.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Why is this not on sky sports?

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

Well it looks like dufner is having another meltdown...

Dufner apparently said something to either Faldo or Feherty before the final round about being "worn out" or something. In other words, he was fatigued from contending in 4 of his last 5 tournaments.

IMO, that doesn't bode well for him contending at the US Open, despite being the hottest golfer on tour at the moment.  I would have said that even if he won.  Because now he's going to take a few weeks off and won't play another competitive round until the US Open.  We'll see how that works out for him.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

So glad Johnson won over Dufner, though that ball marker incident made me nervous. It is a good thing his caddie noticed so he could make the changes before he handed in his scorecard.

Yeah, i agree with Shorty. What these  guys 'seem' on TV like may be quite unlike their real personality and behaviour.  Screen clips and sound bites are similar to soft propaganda.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by bplewis24

IMO, that doesn't bode well for him contending at the US Open, despite being the hottest golfer on tour at the moment.  I would have said that even if he won.  Because now he's going to take a few weeks off and won't play another competitive round until the US Open.  We'll see how that works out for him.

It's a few weeks away though. Plenty of time to rest.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I enjoyed the last round today, despite only having two real contenders. Both Zach Johnson and Dufner appear to be quality guys. Dufner definitely appeared to be mentally fatigued, but his demeanor certainly doesn't give it away. IF only Sergio could gain Dufner's resolve and indifference. Nonetheless, it's also hard not to root for Zach. His scrappiness relates to many of us that are not prototypes of the 330 yard bomb, who rely on finesse and the wherewithal to make sound judgments.

While the Colonial may have been missing many of the top stars, especially from the European circuit, it was worth watching.

On another note, probably another thread, it was cool to watch Luke Donald repeat across the pond for their PGA Championship. But, it also lefty me wondering about the state of Rory's game heading into the U.S Open.

Good storylines, nonetheless.

It did not hurt Zach that his short game and putting guru, Pat O'Brien,  lives in Dallas, and they've spent the last week working together, probably on a daily basis.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by ajst22

So glad Johnson won over Dufner, though that ball marker incident made me nervous. It is a good thing his caddie noticed so he could make the changes before he handed in his scorecard.

I turned it off before the penalty was assessed and just read about it now.  Peter Kostis had mentioned this possibility just before Zach putted, but I assumed that he had just failed to see Johnson move it back.

Lots of nerves when you are about to win for the first time in a few years, but when I used to play tournys, I would flip my marker from heads to tails whenever I moved it so that there would be no way that I would forget to move it back.  Pretty amazing that he (or his caddy who was apparently off raking a trap) didn`t remembered.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

A couple of observations about Dufner and Johnson.

Johnson gave a good interview after the round, admitting he made an idiotic mistake on the last hole penalty. Of course he might have been less gracious if it had cost him the tournament.

I liked Dufner until I saw him taking a dip during the round Saturday. I know that's not a good reason to like or dislike anyone as a golfer, but I don't like to see people using tobacco on the course. Saw another golfer smoking between shots earlier this year and it changed my opinion of him.

On a positive side, I know many of you youngsters won't connect with this, but Dufner reminds me a lot of Julius Boros, who had the most easy-going approach to the game that I've ever seen. I know it's practiced, but it's a practice that can put you in the right frame of mind and muscle relaxation for good swings.

Originally Posted by iacas

It's a few weeks away though. Plenty of time to rest.

I guess my point is that resting in the 2 weeks leading up to the Major may garner a bit of rust, as opposed to resting the past couple weeks and then playing a tune-up tournament to be in top form.

I realize the formula is not the same for everybody so I'm not suggesting there is only one right way to do it.  But given his admission that he is burnt out or something to that effect, I just have a feeling he may have peaked too soon and will not play well.

Brandon

And there was me thinking that I was the only one that just doesn't warm to Zach Johnson. It's nothing personal (well, of course it is) there's just something about him that rubs me up the wrong way. Was it wrong of me to want his gaff on the last to cost him the win?

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

Zach has always struck me as a gentleman and all around good egg. He showed it in that interview. I've been wanting him to win again for a while now. Well done Zach!

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by the19thhole

And there was me thinking that I was the only one that just doesn't warm to Zach Johnson. It's nothing personal (well, of course it is) there's just something about him that rubs me up the wrong way. Was it wrong of me to want his gaff on the last to cost him the win?

He seems abrupt and sparse with words -- like his swing.

I can see where that might turn people off - he does not seem to have a big smile or easygoing nature on camera.

And yes, I think it is wrong to want a stupid gaffe to cost him a win.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I didn't watch the last hole.  I actually deleted the recording once Zach Johnson was safely on the green from the bunker, because I figured it was over.  So, by reading this thread, I was under the impression that ZJ's caddie alerted him to the rules violation.  Apparently that's not the case and it was Kostis.  I do have a problem with that:

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/blog/eye-on-golf/19184163/did-network-affect-outcome-of-colonial-event-for-the-betterment-of-all

I've always had a problem with things of this nature.  I don't wish for ZJ to have lost a tourney based on this rule/incident, but I don't like outside/external forces determining an event.  I also don't like viewers at home calling in rules violations and getting outcomes changed, but that's just me.

Brandon

Originally Posted by the19thhole

Yes .... but I forgive you.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 4504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!