IGNORED

2012 Memorial Tournament Presented by Nationwide Insurance Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Certainly looks like a hole-out to me. What it doesn't look like is a chip of any sort :-)

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Originally Posted by brocks

Fowler just got a very good look at what makes Tiger Tiger. Probably the highlight of his day, since he's 10 over on his round. So far.

And the lumps on the pregame show were actually talking about Tiger passing the torch to him, like Jack did to Tiger at the 2000 PGA.

What made that chip-in great was that if it hadn't hit the hole he would still have had just a tap-in for par - the speed was perfect.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I really don't like Sabbatini.  Too much arrogance not enough game.  Looks like he's playing for 2nd Tiger just birdied 18

I get what you are saying and he has never been one of my favorites.  But I just cannot help liking him just a little bit because of all of the good things he does for our armed forces - and he isn't even an American.

Quote:

And Tiger is someone that kids look to, no matter whether we like it or not. I don't even talk about Tiger with my 5 yr old, and he knows about Tiger and looks to him. I was surprised.

Maybe if you yourself were a better role model your 5-year old wouldn't have to look to Tiger to be his role model?  By the time my kids looked to anyone other than me as their hero they figured out that sports figures were to be admired for their skills, not their personal lives.  Maybe your energies should be put towards your parenting skills, not Tiger's personal life?

And if I were to call you an A-hole and then say that you had nice hair, your shirt looked good, you smell good, and you  have a great jump shot, it wouldn't change the fact that I called you an A-hole, so don't try to ameliorate your douche comment with the other things you said.  Your douche comment was gratuitous and kind of douchey, IMO.

• Upvote 2

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You're right there turtle, anyone that goes out of his way for our military can't be too bad a guy.  Thanks for the different perspective

Originally Posted by turtleback

I get what you are saying and he has never been one of my favorites.  But I just cannot help liking him just a little bit because of all of the good things he does for our armed forces - and he isn't even an American.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Hoganwoods

You see the part in the presser where he said he was hitting irons farther.  The guy asks him why that is and he says something like "Because I'm not scooping it anymore".. LOL  imagine what Haney and Butch think of that...

Isn't it possible that it wasn't a shot at any prior instruction and was more of him saying he's more comfortable with his current swing to the point that he can attack with more shaft lean?

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Shorty

Hoping that the smoker falls apart.

Watched him discard a cigarette butt on the course yesterday.

Not a good look.

At least one he picked up after hitting. But he fell apart anyway.

Whether you like him as a person or not, Tiger is one of the greatest golfers to ever step on the course.  We have the distinction, honor and pleasure to witness greatness of the golf course.  Tiger is a trans-generational talent and deserves respect for what he has done for the game.  Not every generation can say they grew up watching a man with his talent, passion and desire to win on the course each tournament.  I used to dislike Tiger, root against him and hope for a missed cut.  I have since realized the immaturity of such wishes and now wish for him to win as often as possible.  I would love to see him break Jack's records and become without a doubt the best golfer in the history of the world.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Just finished watching the final round, wow! 16 was one of those special, magical moments that only happen for the very best. Not just the shot and it's result, but the moment. The commentators had said, considering the firmness of the green, wind, and pin position, no one had birdied the hole. McCord had just made the comment that the hole wasn't fair (Jack gave him the silent treatment and laid out on him) A few years back, Sabattini commented that Tiger was human just like he is and that he wasn't intimidated. Tiger holes out the incredible shot putting dagger in Sabattini and then goes fist pump mad man crazy scaring poor little Rickie. In the post round interview, Kostis is giddy as a school girl; but, like a ruthless competitor, Tiger is already focused on the next event.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Originally Posted by Zwick

Hunter Mahan on Twitter: "Congrats @TigerWoods!! That should quiet chamblee for a couple days. Probably not"

haha, we'll see.

Hunter was right.  Just now on Golf Central Chamblee says he is skeptical of Tiger at the US Open.

His reasoning is that even though he is hitting his irons well, as shown by leading the tour in par 3 scoring, he is way down on par 4 scoring because:

"he is thinking about his golf swing, not making the adjustments necessary for uneven lies in the fairway, something he will face, on almost every single shot, approach shot, at Olympic Club.  So while we all marvel at what Tiger Woods did here at Muirfield Village I'm still somewhat skeptical as we go into Olympic. "

LOL, talk about stretching.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

[QUOTE] Q. I guess it probably started after you won in March, the he's back, is he back, no, he's not back, yes, he's back. What do you say? Do you think you're back? TIGER WOODS: I won. (Laughter.) I'm sure by Tuesday I'll be retired and done, and then by the time I tee it up at the U.S. Open it might be something different. But I'll let you guys figure that out.[/QUOTE]

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

TTIIIIGGGGGEEEERRRRR!!!!  I don't care if people love him or hate him.  Him winning is great for the sport.  It seems like I hear golf brought up more often by non avid followers when somebody like Tiger or Rickie win.

Oh and agreed.  16 was one of those magical Tiger highlights that you knew was coming.

Originally Posted by luu5

At least one he picked up after hitting. But he fell apart anyway.

Wait, which one of them is a smoker?

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by uttexas

Tiger holes out the incredible shot putting dagger in Sabattini and then goes fist pump mad man crazy scaring poor little Rickie. In the post round interview, Kostis is giddy as a school girl; but, like a ruthless competitor, Tiger is already focused on the next event.

lol, the bit about scaring poor little Rickie is great.

Also, I heard them say there were 4 birdies on the 16th hole.  Was that for the day or for the entire tournament?  In the post-tournament presser there was a good exchange between Jack and one of the guys who (I assume) is responsible for pin placements.  Jack seemed to suggest that the pin placement for that day and that wind was incorrect.  He said it should have been "back right" instead of back left.  But he mentioned that perhaps the guy responsible was expected a "southwest" wind, instead of something directly downwind.

Originally Posted by Matthew Brett

Oh and agreed.  16 was one of those magical Tiger highlights that you knew was coming.

I just didn't see it coming at all, which made it amazing for me.  I figured it was an incredibly tough up and down for par, and if he didn't make par, he wouldn't have a shot to win.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

Wait, which one of them is a smoker?

Levin.

Brandon

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Levin.

Brandon

That's disappointing :( I'd hate to be paired with a damn smoker for a whole day.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Didja see the look on Levin's face as he walked up to Jack after the round? Dude looked freekin' suicidal. He tried to just give Jack a courtesy handshake & move on, but Jack wouldn't let him & kept him there for a few minutes talking to him. You could see Levin finally lighten up.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Also, I heard them say there were 4 birdies on the 16th hole.  Was that for the day or for the entire tournament?

That was just for Sunday. With that wind, that pin and a rock-hard green , almost no one could hold the green. I think they said (on SkySports) that on Sunday only 10 players hit a GIR with a average proximity to the hole >40. feet.

Wow, Tiger lit it up yesterday. Brings back memories from when he did that all the time.

Congrats to Tiger, great playing, nice flop shot, that was insanely hard to pull off.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by Zwick

That was just for Sunday. With that wind, that pin and a rock-hard green , almost no one could hold the green. I think they said (on SkySports) that on Sunday only 10 players hit a GIR with a average proximity to the hole >40. feet.

Yup, I rewatched it this morning (how many of you have re-watched the recording like me?).  10 people hit the green, and 4 birdies (at least one of those from off the green).  Jack mentioned in the press conference that they would have to change something (most likely pin location) to make that green more accessible next year.  He stopped short of saying it was unfair, and then jokingly went on to mention that since Tiger played it -2 for the full tournament, it must not have been that hard of a hole.

Brandon

Isn't it possible that it wasn't a shot at any prior instruction and was more of him saying he's more comfortable with his current swing to the point that he can attack with more shaft lean?

I've never heard Tiger make any disparaging remarks about the things his previous coaches taught him. A lot of people were saying he was taking shots at Haney a month or two ago when he had a bad round and said he sometimes reverted to his "Haney backswing," but he wasn't. He was blaming himself for not doing what Foley was telling him, and saying that it didn't work to combine the Haney backswing with the Foley downswing. Changing subjects, yesterday's win (and Rory's MC) reshuffled the Vegas odds for the US Open. Last week, Rory was the favorite at 8-1, with Tiger second at 12-1. Today, Tiger is the favorite at 6-1, with Rory and Luke at 15-1 in Vegas. Ladbrokes has Tiger at 6-1, Rory at 12-1, and Luke and Lee at 14-1.

Note: This thread is 4352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!