IGNORED

2012 US Open at Olympic Club Discussion Thread

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bubba just hit a really idiotic tee shot at 7. He aims 45 degrees right of the target, and pulls it!

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by Shorty

Bubba's driver off the deck on the long par 5 is fair indication of the quality of his golfing brain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Is anyone else having issues with the android app?

I only used it for a few holes while not at work, but it worked fine for me other than a few pauses.

Tiger just hit one of the worst bunker shots I've seen him make since 2010.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Bubba just hit a really idiotic tee shot at 7. He aims 45 degrees right of the target, and pulls it!

His body language has been dreadful for the last 9 holes or so, and his club selection has mirrored that.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ya Phil and Bubba just didn't look like they were into it. But they had some conversations, that Tiger wasn't a part of.

Phil and Tiger only looked at each other once, and that was on their first tee (9th hole for them).

Gotta give it to Tiger though, he's playing well, with some great course management.

And I agree, this course is eating people alive right now.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Michael Thompson birdied his last hole of the day to reach 4-under. I think that's going to be the high-water mark for scores this week.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Bubba mailing it in.  Based on all his complaining about the course during his press conference, I didn't have high hopes for him this week.

Tiger continuing his awesome ball-striking from his last win.  I think he's really gotten this new swing down.

Some of these greens are ridiculous.  Props to Thompson for putting up a 66, crazy good.

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Damn this course is eating some really good players alive!!

Top 3 in the world rankings yet to tee off, though.  I'm really pulling for Westwood to win it if Tiger doesn't.  Curious to see how all three of them perform together.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Thompson really impressed me. Im betting he is 4 over tomorrow though, sending him to even par. Woods will play the course at -1 or -2 tomorrow, and take the lead into Saturday, where the rest of the field who takes risks trying to play catchup will hurt their round and then leave Tiger Woods with a US open to win or lose on his own.

It is absolutely nuts that this is a par 70 course. I doubt most of us here would break 100 from what I have seen so far.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Yes, a lot of heavy hitters tee off in the afternoon: World top3, Dufner, Kayner, Justin Rose, Mahan, Kuchar, Stricker, Fowler, Oosthuizen plus many others.  It's a PM heavy order today.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Top 3 in the world rankings yet to tee off, though.  I'm really pulling for Westwood to win it if Tiger doesn't.  Curious to see how all three of them perform together.

Originally Posted by MSDOGS1976

Lot of natural talent, but not the brightest bulb on the planet.

Saying he has a lot of natural talent doesn't make it ok to call him stupid.  Being emotional doesn't make someone stupid either.  People think Bubba has "natural talent" because his backswing is long and he shapes shots a lot.  Talk about simple minded....  Plug the grey matter in because the problem space is more complicated than you think.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I don't think you can get to this level, while being an idiot. These guys are very talanted and very smart.

Have you heard? Breaking news alert: Ya it's kinda hard being a PGA Tour player.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Always good to see Mr. Toms in the mix......(shameless hometown plug) this type of event is right up his alley, but he doesn't play as well on bentgrass greens.

Agree, bunkerputt. Bubba was smart enough to win the Masters.

Bubba's getting tired of stupid questions. Here's an exchange from his post-round interview: "Q. How did your strategy of hitting bomb drivers work having shorter shots in? BUBBA WATSON: I shot 8 over. So not very good. Q. How does the rough play from with short irons? Is it manageable? BUBBA WATSON: I shot 8 over, so not very good. You could answer these yourself."

Maybe not an idiot, but Bubba's pretty close to the idiot savant category. And this setup is far too brutal for that kind of approach.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by brocks

Bubba's getting tired of stupid questions. Here's an exchange from his post-round interview:

"Q. How did your strategy of hitting bomb drivers work having shorter shots in?

BUBBA WATSON: I shot 8 over. So not very good.

Q. How does the rough play from with short irons? Is it manageable?

BUBBA WATSON: I shot 8 over, so not very good. You could answer these yourself."

Q. How does the rough play from with short irons? Is it manageable?
BUBBA WATSON: I shot 8 over, so not very manageable FOR ME - but manageable for other players."

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Note: This thread is 4476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!