IGNORED

2012 US Open at Olympic Club Discussion Thread

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I dont know when, but they're up already. [URL=http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2012/06/tiger-mickelson-and-bubba-to-play-in-same-group-at-us-open.html]http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2012/06/tiger-mickelson-and-bubba-to-play-in-same-group-at-us-open.html[/URL]

That article was published before the field was complete (notice that Levin is not in it). Here are the official tee times: http://www.usopen.com/en_US/scoring/groupings.html [quote name="xxsoultonesxx" url="/t/58696/2012-us-open-at-olympic-club-discussion-thread/144#post_723021"]Fascinating. I suppose I just know very little about the OWGR, but I guess that makes a little sense. Out of curiousity, where did you get this info? Looks like I need to read up. [/quote] Strangely enough, you can find out almost everything you need to know about the OWGR at this website: www.officialworldgolfranking.com If you click on "about" at the top, you will get a good description of how the rankings are calculated. It's really not much harder to do than a batting average; you just add up the points from each week, and divide by the number of events. What is different is that the points for each event depreciate over time, so that recent events are given more weight than older events. To see exactly how many points each event in a player's history is worth, click on "ranking" and find the player (if he's not in the top 50, you'll have to page through the rankings), and then click on his name. You will see his last two years (or his last 52 events, if he's played that many) with each event, his result, the points it was worth when he played it, and the points it is worth today. You can also click on "events" and see how the points were distributed in a given event. For example, if you click on "events" and then click on the St.Jude Classic, you will see that Ryo's T38 finish was worth only 1.22 points, and that if he had finished one shot lower, he wouldn't have gotten any points. A general chart that shows how points are distributed for any event is available from the "about" page.

Originally Posted by colin007

they play a completely different game from the rest of us...

pfffft, the course I played on this weekend had at least that long of grass....in the fairway!

I'm exaggerating, but while they are penalized more for stray shots, I'd like to play on courses with immaculate greens, consistent sand and manicured fairways on a regular basis, like they do.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

pfffft, the course I played on this weekend had at least that long of grass....in the fairway!

I'm exaggerating, but while they are penalized more for stray shots, I'd like to play on courses with immaculate greens, consistent sand and manicured fairways on a regular basis, like they do.

Brandon

Good point.  I play a number of muni courses where jack-arses don't even fix their pitch marks - or rake the bunker.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here are a few Twitter updates from GMac...

RT course suit right hand faders would you suggest? >>definitely. 9/10 shots on course are RH fades.

Would suit my new swing! :Too bad I don't have the length... Look at the par/yardage on the first hole!

Hole_4.jpg

Here is a great set of videos which highlight the various holes of Olympic.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/tee-to-green-the-olympic-club-2012/?cid=twitter_V_gc_TEETOGREENUSOPEN

I'm playing off a 4.5 HDCP right now... And I don't know if I could break 100 playing it from the tips, under the conditions they will be playing.  Course looks brutal.

I'm curious to see how McIlroy does.  He looked like he was struggling with accuracy off of the tee at TPC Southwind.  I think he hit it into the water at least twice in the last round.  He also missed a couple of 3-4' putts.  I wonder if going this past weekend will help or hurt him at the open (even though he placed well at St. Jude's).

Originally Posted by ChiralClubs

I'm curious to see how McIlroy does.  He looked like he was struggling with accuracy off of the tee at TPC Southwind.  I think he hit it into the water at least twice in the last round.  He also missed a couple of 3-4' putts.  I wonder if going this past weekend will help or hurt him at the open (even though he placed well at St. Jude's).

A player of Rory's caliber can score anywhere.  I expect him to be in contention again this week at the Open. The question I have is can Rory do it with a guy by the name of Tiger Woods playing some of his best golf in years - on the prowl.

Also, the St Jude tournament was the 2nd time that Rory fell down at the end of a tournament.  DJ got him this past weekend, and Rickie got him earlier this year.  I haven't seen Rory go head-to-head with anyone of the big name players - on a Sunday afternoon here in the states (PGA Tour) - and win.

A player of Rory's caliber can score anywhere.  I expect him to be in contention again this week at the Open. The question I have is can Rory do it with a guy by the name of Tiger Woods playing some of his best golf in years - on the prowl.

Although they weren't paired together, Rory made some great up and downs to win after Tiger shot a 62 at the Honda, so I give him credit for that. But as you noted, he has not been great on Sunday back nines lately. They have both been very strong at times this year, but neither has been as consistent as the old Tiger. Both seem to have more headroom than the rest of the pack --- Rory because he's so young, and Tiger because he is still perfecting his new swing. I figure Tiger should have all the kinks out by next year, and Rory should get slightly better physically and much better in course management, so the next couple or three years might be the best rivalry we've seen this generation. [quote name="Beachcomber" url="/t/58696/2012-us-open-at-olympic-club-discussion-thread/162#post_723328"] I'm playing off a 4.5 HDCP right now... And I don't know if I could break 100 playing it from the tips, under the conditions they will be playing. Course looks brutal. [/quote] They had some single-digit handicappers play Torrey Pines the week before it held the 2008 US Open, with these results: "Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo (whose handicap index is 2.2) shot a 13-over par 84; pop star Justin Timberlake (a 6.0) shot 98; Today Show host Matt Lauer (a 6.2) shot 100; and John Atkinson (an 8.1), who was chosen from a pool of 56,000 contest entrants nationwide, shot 114. Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2008-06/080606contest_strege#ixzz1xWLWrooM" Olympic looks a lot tougher to me than Torry Pines.

• Upvote 1

Brocks Sorry that I'm not quoting your thread here.  I tried it - and it came out all funky looking (given you had a multi-quote going on your post).  I haven't figured out how to do the multi-quote here on this forum (kind of too lazy to worry about it tbh).

But no question... I agree that Olympic looks tougher than Torrey Pines.  Also, isn't bermuda greens (which are at Olympic) - much harder surfaces - and faster - than the Poa Annua (type of greens found at Torrey Pines)?  I would think that alone would make the green complexes more challenging at Olympic than Torrey.  Plus - Torrey is in SoCal which has resort like backdrop - and pristine weather.  The cold air / marine layer (heavy air) in SF alone could make Olympics conditions more challenging.  And that doesn't even get into the layout variances.

Also, Sunday we'll do our typical live chat. Book it! We have a good time so plan on popping in.

I'll be there Sunday. Also, everyone feel free to use the other chatroom during the other three days of the U.S. Open. We had a lot of people on there during The Masters.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

That 14-year-old kid who lost in the sectional playoff last week, Andy Zhang, is now the youngest contestant in US Open history, after Brandt Snedeker and Paul Casey withdrew with injuries. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-rt-golf-openwithdrawals-update-2-pixl3e8hc02m-20120611,0,2786840.story

Hey Guys, in case you haven't seen it yet, here are my Monday Pic from the Olympic

And make sure to Follow us on Twitter @the_sand_trap https://twitter.com/#!/the_sand_trap

I was taking some pics and tweeting them out yesterday

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by colin007

they play a completely different game from the rest of us...

I will preface this comment with a disclaimer:  PGA Tour golfers are the best of the best.  They are the elite.

However...  there might be more to it than that.  They have a world of technology and equipment at their disposal, a significant amount of time on their hands to practice, a caddy that is extremely knowledgeable about the course and all things golf, & (most importantly) the money to go whenever and wherever they want.  You would be surprised at how many people could actually play at that same level if given the right tools to do the job.  They play a completely different game from us because it's what they do for a living.  I bet I know 4 or 5 guys that, if given the same lifestyle and unlimited funds, could easily play at their level.  They are good, but its not as rare as you would think.

Yes, there are many exceptions to my statement, Tiger & Jack for example, who truly are talented beyond what is normal.

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

Originally Posted by scottyjoe145

I will preface this comment with a disclaimer:  PGA Tour golfers are the best of the best.  They are the elite.

However...  there might be more to it than that.  They have a world of technology and equipment at their disposal, a significant amount of time on their hands to practice, a caddy that is extremely knowledgeable about the course and all things golf, & (most importantly) the money to go whenever and wherever they want.  You would be surprised at how many people could actually play at that same level if given the right tools to do the job.  They play a completely different game from us because it's what they do for a living.  I bet I know 4 or 5 guys that, if given the same lifestyle and unlimited funds, could easily play at their level.  They are good, but its not as rare as you would think.

Yes, there are many exceptions to my statement, Tiger & Jack for example, who truly are talented beyond what is normal.

Yes, they are the best of the best, its not so much the equipment, time available or the talent, plenty of very good amateurs have this, its the ability not to crumple under the pressure, the further up the tree you go, the more people can't hack it.

Great amateurs not being able to get it done on a Sunday in the pros is a very old story. As is very good tour pros not being able to get it done on a Sunday of a Major.

Jack & Tiger are extremely good golfers that are way out in front of everyone else when it comes to not bottling it.

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Yes, they are the best of the best, its not so much the equipment, time available or the talent, plenty of very good amateurs have this, its the ability not to crumple under the pressure, the further up the tree you go, the more people can't hack it.

Great amateurs not being able to get it done on a Sunday in the pros is a very old story. As is very good tour pros not being able to get it done on a Sunday of a Major.

Jack & Tiger are extremely good golfers that are way out in front of everyone else when it comes to not bottling it.

Agreed, but his comment was that these guys play at a different level...  some unachievable physical level that few are privileged to enjoy.  I'm sure his comment was spurred by the beastly nature of the course hosting the U.S. Open this year.  I was only disputing that aspect of the comment.

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

Originally Posted by scottyjoe145

Agreed, but his comment was that these guys play at a different level...  some unachievable physical level that few are privileged to enjoy.  I'm sure his comment was spurred by the beastly nature of the course hosting the U.S. Open this year.  I was only disputing that aspect of the comment.

Fair enough.

I'm still pretending I can make it after 4 out of 5 sand saves on Sunday! Reality will bite next time the clubs comeout.

I wonder how hard a course has to be before a tour pro thinks "Sod it, I can't play this", I can't think of many cases of this happening -  Carnoustie the year Lawrie won?

Originally Posted by mvmac

Hey Guys, in case you haven't seen it yet, here are my Monday Pic from the Olympic

And make sure to Follow us on Twitter @the_sand_trap https://twitter.com/#!/the_sand_trap

I was taking some pics and tweeting them out yesterday

And just uploaded some great video http://thesandtrap.com/t/58942/2012-us-open-olympic-club-video-blog-and-players-swing-thread

Back to work!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 4352 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!