IGNORED

On the green in one, carded a 9, beat that!!

jfrain2004
Note: This thread is 4328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On the plus side, it makes a great story. :-)

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Not quite as bad, but my favourite par 3 today. Ball ran off the back of the green into a bunker from my gap wedge. My wedge shot out of the bunker was way too hard, and it ran off down into the hazard. Stroke and distance. on for a 2 putt. Sad, sad sad.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I came close yesterday.

There is a short 130 yd par 3 that I really like at a local course.  Large pond between the green and tee.  Bunkers to the back and right of the green.  Just a nice par 3 that I enjoy playing and usually play it well.  Anyway, I'm having a decent round.  Hit my first and pull it left.  Lost ball.  Now hitting 3.  Hit my next and duff it into the water. Now hitting 5. Hit my next to the front edge of the green below the pin.  2 putt for an 7.  Maybe not as impressive as yours but a 7 on a par 3 is still pretty notable.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Originally Posted by skates

As for me reaching par 5s under reg and then walking off with par or bogeys are pretty brutal

You're kidding right?  A par or bogey on a par 5.  You'll have to come back when you card at least a 12 on a par 5 before you can post on this thread with the big dogs.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

There are two par 3's on my home course that give me the devil, one is a 177yd up hill that for whatever reason, I couldn't reach the green with a driver and another short 122yd with water behind the green that could overshoot with a putter. I've recorded absolutely stupendous bogeys on them both.

This morning, I was on the short one, absolutely determined to make it to the near side of the green and 2 putt for par (very steep green, my chances of 1 putt are about the same as me shooting a round under par right now). I break out the PW, give it a nice easy swing and come up just short of the green in the first cut. All is well, I am usually pretty close to dead on with short shots (my only saving grace since I end up in the first cut 99.94454% of the time) and I might actually still save par here.

Nope, my short shot goes long, over the back, down the hill, into the water. Take a drop, shoot up the hill, just a bit far again, rolls down the steep green back into the rough. PW BACK onto the green, not far enough this time so I have a longgggg putt up that hill that looks like a motocross jump (stretching here but hey, I was stressed and it seemed that high by then) which I proceed to 3 putt and walk away shaking my head.

I'm a new golfer but seriously, that was just brutal.

910 D2 10.5  910F 3w  910H 19*

712 AP1 4-GW  Vokey SM4 54* and 58*

Select Golo  E5

I was on a 175 yard par three last round that has water on the right side all the way up near the green. I sliced 4 tee shots in a row into the lake with my 5 iron. Then while hitting 8 topped it, and it hardly went 20 yards. It was the worst hole I ever played.

Sincerely, Jim

Its charcater building

Cart Bag

Hi Bore  xls Driver

Big Bertha steelhead plus  3 and 5 Woods

Pro Gold 20 and 24 degree Hybrids

MD Superstrong Irons

MD Norman Drew Low Bounce wedges

Putter 

Originally Posted by shockingslicer

Its charcater building

character even

Cart Bag

Hi Bore  xls Driver

Big Bertha steelhead plus  3 and 5 Woods

Pro Gold 20 and 24 degree Hybrids

MD Superstrong Irons

MD Norman Drew Low Bounce wedges

Putter 

Not quite a 9, but I played my first ever round of golf on Sunday, and got on in one on a par 3.  Ended up with a triple after 5-putting....

-Bryan

Bag: TM Superfast Driver, TM Burner '08 3W, GigaGolf Irons, Yes! Sandy Putter

Originally Posted by BeRich

Not quite a 9, but I played my first ever round of golf on Sunday, and got on in one on a par 3.  Ended up with a triple after 5-putting....

Pretty close to last weeks league play for me.  Hole 6 was my final hole for the round (shot-gun start), 145 yards, elevated green.  Beautiful 9 iron, single hop and stopped dead at ten feet from the pin.  I then proceeded to 4 putt my way to a crappy double and cap off a fantastic (sarcasm) round of nothing but 3 and 4 putts.  Shot my highest round this season, and was overall a very embarrassing outing on my part, averaging 2.9 putts per hole.

I posted an 8 on a par 3 a couple weekends ago. 150yd over a lake big sloped green front to back with bunkers long left and short right. My tee shot goes long left but over that dreaded bunker(1). The pin placement is in that corner of the green so I just wanna try and flop it on the edge of the green and let it trickle down a bit. Instead I get way under the ball and end up in that bunker right in front of me(2). Doh! Now I feel I got the exact same shot as before but now I'm in the bunker. I end up blading it and it goes all the way across the green and into the other bunker(3)! Now I have alot of green to work with rather than feet I got yards lol. So now I'm hitting 4 and once again I hit it way to hard and it ends up back in the same damn bunker it started in(4). 5th shot yup you guessed it hit it thin and it went back towards the short side bunker again(5)! Lucky for me not in it tho. I then proceed to 3 putt!

I also had a 9 on a par 5 last weekend! Drive went in the trees, hit a 3 wood that skimmed the ground that hit a branch or a bird on the ground, all I hear was the noise of something getting hit and a bird flew away lol. 3rd shot same club topped it again, 4th miss hit my hybrid, 5th hit my 7i to short then proceeded to once again mishit my pitch shots 3x over the green back and forth to where finally hit it solid and 1 putted.  Ugh...

I really need to figure out my short game. Some shots its good others its really bad.

In the bag

Bag-Taylormade

Driver-Taylormade R11s 10.5*

3 Wood- Taylormade Burner

5 Wood- Adams Tight Lies

3 Hybrid- Warrior Golf

Irons 4-PW-Taylormade 360 XD

SW- 56* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can

AW- Razor Golf

LW-60* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can

Putter- Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Ball- Titleist Pro V1

Originally Posted by ApocG10

And thats why golf is a four letter word.

You know why they called it golf?

Because F*** was taken

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

In a partner tournament, my playing partner put 3 balls in the water on the 18th hole (par 5) in an aggregate (combined) score format.  He hit shot #3, #5 and #7 in the water, knocked his 9th on the green and two putted for a smooth 11.  I made birdie.  We finished 1 shot out of the money.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

My buddy who had never beaten me was leading me by (rounding the numbers because I dont remember exactly) something like 5 strokes on hole 17 he gets on in regulation while I got on in 4 and 2 putted. Bogie save from almost water shots twice. He proceeds to 6 putt or something and finish up with a 10. I then parred hole 18 and he bogied. I took the win by like 2 strokes. Just my luck and just his bad luck. Was really sad for him but I couldn't stop laughing.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

I carded a 10 on Sunday.  Par 5, 585yds.  It was brutal...

1st stroke: 3W in the fairway... Perfect position.  Have 320ish into the green with a forced carry wash/ditch which is ~ 40yds wide that you have to hit over... But the wash is only 30yds in front of me.  And the hole is all down hill...

2nd stroke: Topped a 3W into the wash/hazard in front of me.

3rd stroke: Penalty/Drop

4th stroke: Smoke a 3W down the right side - hole is severely sloped from right to left - and downhill to the fairway.  I thought my ball would bounce off the slope and down into the fairway so I started the ball out to the right hitting a push draw.  I thought I pulled the shot off perfectly.  But I get up to my ball and the ball came to rest on the cart path - nestled against the concrete curb on the left side of the path.  If the curb wasn't there - the ball would've easily gone back down into the fairway as the grass was mowed close enough to not hold any shots on the side of the hill.

So I take full relief from the cart path (left side) - but when I drop - the ball rolls off the slope down into the fairway closer to the hole.  So I have to place the ball - and the ball is about 2ft above my feet... So I find myself hitting a shot from a severely sloped hill - hitting a 58* wedge from ~ 45yds.

5th stroke: Hit the 58* wedge to the front right pin placement and the shot hits on the fringe on the front right portion of the green and pulls right into the green side bunker.  Not a bad shot at all... Just didn't get the right path given the severe side hill lie I was hitting off of.  Unfortunately, the bunker is deep and has a large lip.

6th stroke: Hit the 58* wedge from the bunker, and proceed to hit the lip.  The ball goes back into the bunker - behind me - went further back than my original bunker shot - but at least I have more room to hit this next shot.

7th stroke: Hit the 58* wedge - again - and get the ball out and onto the green.  I didn't get enough check/spin and the ball rolled out about 15 to 20ft... But I was afraid of leaving the ball in the bunker again - so took a little bigger swing than I probably needed?

8th stroke: Putt the ball aggressively past the hole (trying to make it to salvage a trip) and leave myself with a 4 footer coming back.

9th stroke: I was pretty disgusted with myself by this point... Step into the putt / make the stroke and proceed to lip out the right side (pushed it).

10th stroke: Tapped in and just shook my head in disbelief.

The worst part was after I told my foursome that I carded a miserable 10, one of the guys didn't believe me... Then I had to proceed to recount all of the shots. He apologized once he realized I really shot a 10, and then laughed.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you for your story. I couldn't help but laugh at the "I nearly cried" part. Don't feel bad, we have all nearly cried about something concerning golf.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

This thread makes me feel much, much better. Was trying out a new course on Sunday evening, Montague in Danbury. Our foursome was my wife and another couple. I think that between the four of us we played every story in this thread! It was terrible. My buddy and his wife left after 12 holes - they had something going on. After 13 the wife and I decided that the damned bugs were just too awful so we left as well. It's the only time I think I've been glad the bugs were out in force.

Note: This thread is 4328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!