IGNORED

The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread

dak4n6

Heard another one on radio the other day referencing financial responsibility. It was a teacher addressing a grade school class telling them to read a couple of chapters in their textbooks. Then she announces, "Pop quiz tomorrow!" Well, if you announce it a day ahead, it's not really a "pop quiz" now is it?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Heard another one on radio the other day referencing financial responsibility. It was a teacher addressing a grade school class telling them to read a couple of chapters in their textbooks. Then she announces, "Pop quiz tomorrow!" Well, if you announce it a day ahead, it's not really a "pop quiz" now is it?

That is not at all the topic here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Did you mean, borne out of anger?

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 5.15.12 PM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2018 at 9:34 PM, iacas said:

That is not at all the topic here.

It's still in the spirit of the OP. Did you really want me to start a whole new thread to reference it?

Anyway, have seen quite a few in the local paper lately. The header for the recap of the Ivy League championship between Penn and Harvard read "IV LEAGUE". Is this a league made up of only medical schools? The "Intravenous" League? Or maybe they're copying the Super Bowl and are actually named the Four League.

In an op-ed piece about Rex Tillerson's dismissal, the text referenced it as "anti-climatic" rather than anti-climactic. Don't know whether it was the author's fault or the paper's.

In an article about Monarch butterfly migration it said they are "forced to migrate because of their "hereditary", not their heredity.

• Administrator
Just now, Buckeyebowman said:

It's still in the spirit of the OP. Did you really want me to start a whole new thread to reference it?

No, it isn't. It's not a typo. It's not a grammatical error.

It's simply a bad joke.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/05/2017 at 9:45 AM, nevets88 said:

I noticed grammatical errors in his Twitter timeline, sometimes you can tell mistakes are typos or no time to type, they don't seem to be of that variety, I think he skipped out on English class.

Your use of commas indicates that you did too. ;-)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

1 minute ago, Shorty said:

Your use of commas indicates that you did too. ;-)

I'm doing my Hemingway imitation! :-P

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Here's a challenge. 

Give me an example of where the hideous term "going forward" is NOT redundant. I see it time and again on this site it drives me insane.

I understand that it us used to emphasise a deliberate plan to do something, but seriously, it is used SO often for zero effect.

"I am going to start think about using that strategy in my game moving forward" means the same without it. As does "I am going to try to do better moving forward."

I find this much more annoying than a professional athlete not using possessive apostrophes correctly in their twitter feed. (Which, for the record, I don't find at all annoying.)

It's bad enough hearing every TV commentator using it three times per minute, but I am demanding a ban on it on TheSandtrap.com. :-) 

Also, "use to" instead of "used to", but at least that's explained by people not reading and seeing the words written correctly, rather than mistakenly thinking they sound eloquent.

Edited by Shorty

I use to try hard to get better going forward but in hindsight I see going forward is not always as easy as falling back. By the way, my car was used too!  :beer:

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

• Administrator

Challenge accepted!

I like to see my golf ball going forward, not backward or sideways, @Shorty.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Challenge accepted!

I like to see my golf ball going forward, not backward or sideways, @Shorty.

You know that's cheating! :-) In the future, going forward, I will specify context from now on. ;-)

The "then" rather than "than" disease is pretty much an epidemic on Thesandtrap. :-(

I never think of myself as a good golfer either. I know my game has flaws and I'm the exact opposite of the golfer mentioned in the OP. A few weeks ago, I played in a 4some in a team match with 3 of the best players in my club. When we finished, one of them mentioned it was the second time in a month he'd played with me and I'd broken 80 both times. The other 2 then went on to say I had proven to them that I was a much better player then my hcap says. They all saw my swing wasn't "perfect", but felt my course management, and lack of confidence in my game were the only things keeping me from being at least a high single digit hcap player. I didn't tell them, but my hope is to be better then that. LOL  I did however start to realize their point about negativity, as in stepping into a shot thinking how to avoid hitting a poor one instead of planning for a good one, was a very good one. Golf is just so different to me then the games I played when younger, and because of my inexperience, I have trouble dealing with its frustrations. My first instinct is to get more aggressive, swing faster, try harder to make up for a mistake when something goes wrong. Changing this thought (or lack of) process is something I know I have to do if I'm doing to have any hope of getting better. I try not to kid myself about my game, in fact I think like a lot of golfers, I find the game way too hard to ever feel that way.

7 hours ago, Shorty said:

The "then" rather than "than" disease is pretty much an epidemic on Thesandtrap. :-(

Yeah, right along with using apostrophes inappropriately. And “could of” (and variants).

Sometimes it bugs me more than it should. I still understand what they’re writing. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• 2 months later...

Steve

11 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

“Well, yes, I think your company’s technologies are quite useful. And they look good, too. And quite reasonably priced.”

i —> e would fix that

Craig

I'd like to buy a vowel ...

Playng.thumb.JPG.82b08dd3325fcdb91cb218e99c5ecf4b.JPG

Craig

On 6/17/2018 at 1:59 PM, Missouri Swede said:

I'd like to buy a vowel ...

Playng.thumb.JPG.82b08dd3325fcdb91cb218e99c5ecf4b.JPG

Dustin Johnston

Steve