IGNORED

2012 "FTT" - Advance Notice

iacas
Note: This thread is 4298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Edit 2012-08-19 - Go here now: http://thesandtrap.com/t/61424/players-needed-join-the-tst-2012-forward-tees-experiment .

Guys,

The "FTT" stands for the "Forward Tees Tournament" (or Forward Tees Challenge). Basically, one weekend we all play from the tees as far forward as the course offers, and see how much better we score. It's illuminating because almost nobody scores as well as they normally would - they either make stupid mistakes like hitting driver which puts them pin-high on a "par four" but in the middle of the trees, or their short game is stressed and collapses, etc. It's an interesting and revealing challenge, and we'll do it again this year in September.

I screwed the pooch a bit back in 2010 . I didn't give y'all enough warning, I didn't get good enough stats, etc.

Last year I was too busy to worry about any of it. I won't do either of those things again again this year.

I'm going to do the "forward tees tournament" or "forward tees challenge" again this year. I'll want as many people as possible to participate. Here's what you should do to start preparing.

• Start considering which course you'll play. The ideal course is one you play regularly from tees that are fairly different than the forward-most tees. The ideal course would be fairly average in difficulty - we don't want super-difficult courses or super-easy ones. And obviously the ideal course would be one on which you won't mind teeing off from the forward-most tees.
  • Get a real handicap index.
  • Write down your scores (and the course rating and slope from the tees you play from) at the chosen course starting now. Try to get at least 5-10 rounds from your regular set of tees on the list.
  • Find the course handicap and slope for the course for MEN from the forward tees. Most of them are rated only for women, and if so, try to approximate it using the shortest tees rated for men. Just plot the course ratings and slope versus the yardage and extrapolate them from there. (See post #9 in this thread.)

If you intend to participate, post in this thread and say so, and subscribe to this thread with daily notifications or something (so you don't get them every time someone posts).

Okay? I think we'll learn a fair amount from this, and I look forward to doing this again this year.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Any one in michigan who would like to play?

My Bag: Nike Vapor X
Driver: Diablo Octane Tour Project 7.0  X-Stiff
Woods: Callaway RAZR 3 wood Adilla NVS 65 g X-Stiff
Hybrids: Taylor Made Burner Superlaunch 3-18*, 4-21*, UST Mamiya Proforce V2 75
Irons: Maltby TE Forged 5-PW TrueTemper X-300
Wedges: Maltby Tricept 52*/6, 56*/10; 60*/6 TrueTemper S-400
Putter: Yes! Emma 37" Belly Putter 
Ball: NXT Tour

• Administrator
Originally Posted by MbolicGolf

That's not really the point unless you both happen to play the same course frequently.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Find the course handicap and slope for the course for MEN from the forward tees. Most of them are rated only for women, and if so, try to approximate it using the shortest tees rated for men. Just plot the course ratings and slope versus the yardage and extrapolate them from there.

FWIW, Section 5-2(g) of the USGA Handicap Manual gives the procedure for determining a course rating and slope from a set of unrated tees.  People participating in your challenge might consider using this procedure if they play from an unrated set of tees, as it is something the USGA has considered and they have created a well though out clear procedure.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

If I play the shortest tees (women's), I would be able to hit a 5W or a 5i off most the tees and still have a 6i or less for my approach. Will this mess up the FTT experiment, or should we use a driver off of all holes?

Also, Par for men is 71, and for women is 74 (three more par 5 holes). Do we keep the men's par? Or, does it matter?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• Administrator
Originally Posted by turtleback

FWIW, Section 5-2(g) of the USGA Handicap Manual gives the procedure for determining a course rating and slope from a set of unrated tees.  People participating in your challenge might consider using this procedure if they play from an unrated set of tees, as it is something the USGA has considered and they have created a well though out clear procedure.

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Rule-05/

296dcb97-945c-49e8-b407-b8557a8d40f9.gif

Originally Posted by WUTiger

If I play the shortest tees (women's), I would be able to hit a 5W or a 5i off most the tees and still have a 6i or less for my approach. Will this mess up the FTT experiment, or should we use a driver off of all holes?

Also, Par for men is 71, and for women is 74 (three more par 5 holes). Do we keep the men's par? Or, does it matter?

You're supposed to "play golf" and try to shoot your best score. I don't care if you hit a pitching wedge off every tee.

Par is irrelevant in the face of the course rating and slope.

Originally Posted by MbolicGolf

I can't guarantee I'll play in this, but I'll get out some time with you

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

As part of our preparing to do this, would like for us to post our intended strategy of "attack" on the day we play the forward tees?

• Administrator
Originally Posted by gwlee7

As part of our preparing to do this, would like for us to post our intended strategy of "attack" on the day we play the forward tees?

Later. This isn't the official thread, this is just the "prepare for it" thread.

Im in. It may be an interesting change, as I have never played those tees before.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I'm in as well! It should be fun, haven't played the red tees in a long time!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I'll do it ....just hope nobody sees me. Never played from tees that close wound up 650 yards less, 67.4 rating 124 slope.

I don't know if I did this right shortest men tees 6043 rating 70.4 slope 131

red tees 5390 rating 71.7 slope 120

According to the chart it says at 650+ yards subtract 3 from rating and 7 from slope, the reason I'm not sure is the slope for women is lower after the adjustment.

I'll give it a go.

This is a good idea too:

Originally Posted by Tuflehundon

I'm down. I'll take my daughter with me and we'll both play the front tees.

I'll bring my wife so I feel slightly less emasculated by playing from the reds.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I don't know if I'll be able to play in September (and certainly not at a course I've played much), so I'll probably do it some time in August and then post it along with everyone else. I remember doing it in 2010, it was fun. I ended up shooting a 67 (-5), but the differential was still 1.8 because the course rating from those tees was so low. It was fun though. I do recommend trying to find a time when there aren't a lot of people on the course and you can play alone. It was annoying to have to wait for the other people to hit and then walk up to the front tees with them waiting on me.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4298 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!