IGNORED

The Greenbrier Classic 2012 Discussion Thread - The Old White TPC - White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia

Beachcomber
Note: This thread is 4278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Vijay Singh shoots a blistering opening round 63 to catapult him to the top of the Leaderboard at -7.  Looks like Tiger struggled today with a round of 71 (+1).  Other notable golfers, Webb Simpson posted a 65 (-5).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks like Tiger struggled today with a round of 71 (+1).

It's all part of the plan. The last time he played a full schedule, 2009, he won his last event before each major, and then didn't win any majors. So far this year, he's done the same thing. Now he's gotten smart. He scheduled a new event before the Open, and is making sure he doesn't win it. Look for a five-shot win at Royal Lytham.

Go Vijah!

Tiger said the course was set up for good scores - driver - 9 iron to most par 4 holes. Glad Vijah got the benefit.

John Daly 3 birdies and a bogey on the front. All pars on the back. Finishes -2.

Can't wait to watch this match on TV.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Originally Posted by mvmac

This course looks awesome

My parents have gone to the Greenbrier resort several times... They have always spoke highly of the grounds.  I guess it is a special place?  Anyone here play the Old White TPC?

Originally Posted by colin007

according to shotlink Tiger missed a 2 footer on 17 to make a double on that par 5...

He missed two short putts on the round.  The 2ft putt on 17 being just one.  He had 4 birdies - and missed an Eagle putt (very close to making it)... So he didn't play terrible... Just some silly mishaps it looks like.

I don't think that Tiger & Phil are "earning" their "appearance" fee for playing in the Greenbrier Classic - I'd guess it is as good a place as any to hit practice balls in preparation for the British, and might as well collect a 7-figure show up money.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/19489181/greenbrier-classic-is-example-of-hosting-a-tournament-the-american-way-throw-cash-at-players

• Upvote 1

Players play, tough players win!

Originally Posted by Wally Fairway

I don't think that Tiger & Phil are "earning" their "appearance" fee for playing in the Greenbrier Classic - I'd guess it is as good a place as any to hit practice balls in preparation for the British, and might as well collect a 7-figure show up money.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/19489181/greenbrier-classic-is-example-of-hosting-a-tournament-the-american-way-throw-cash-at-players

So long as no one is going on record it is all rumor and innuendo and BS to me.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I don't think that Tiger & Phil are "earning" their "appearance" fee for playing in the Greenbrier Classic - I'd guess it is as good a place as any to hit practice balls in preparation for the British, and might as well collect a 7-figure show up money. [URL=http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/19489181/greenbrier-classic-is-example-of-hosting-a-tournament-the-american-way-throw-cash-at-players]http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/19489181/greenbrier-classic-is-example-of-hosting-a-tournament-the-american-way-throw-cash-at-players[/URL]

Thanks for the very interesting article. I remember years ago, when Tiger first played Dubai and everybody was talking about the appearance money he got, I wondered why PGA events couldn't get around the ban on appearance money by (for example) asking a player if he had any suggestions about the course, and then paying him a big "consulting fee," but I just assumed that if I could think of it in five seconds, so could the PGA, and they'd have rules against that kind of thing. I guess I was wrong. I also don't understand why guys like Tiger and Phil would even be tempted by appearance fees, when they already have more money than they can spend. I would think a week at home, away from the press and public, would be worth more to Tiger than any amount of money he gets for flying halfway around the world and playing an event he otherwise wouldn't play.

I don't think that Tiger & Phil are "earning" their "appearance" fee for playing in the Greenbrier Classic - I'd guess it is as good a place as any to hit practice balls in preparation for the British, and might as well collect a 7-figure show up money. [URL=http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/19489181/greenbrier-classic-is-example-of-hosting-a-tournament-the-american-way-throw-cash-at-players]http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/19489181/greenbrier-classic-is-example-of-hosting-a-tournament-the-american-way-throw-cash-at-players[/URL]

I really couldn't care less ...

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

I really couldn't care less ...

Agreed.  I'd rather them play - than not play.  Makes for better TV.

Hello Beachcomber! I have noticed your avatar caption  and am curious.  Some folks may think that 'goat humping' is a form of bestiality or  zoophilia. Personally i don't care but in California such acts are misdemeanors. And i just saw a new TST post on goats as greenkeepers, in Canada.  Maybe this is some new wave happening out on the 12th fairway, in the early morning dew, just the lads and the goats. I am not suggesting you are a participant but...

Originally Posted by joekelly

Hello Beachcomber! I have noticed your avatar caption  and am curious.  Some folks may think that 'goat humping' is a form of  bestiality or  zoophilia. Personally i don't care but in California such acts are misdemeanors.  And i just saw a new TST post on goats as greenkeepers, in Canada.  Maybe this is some new wave happening out on the 12th fairway, in the early morning dew, just the lads and the goats. I am not suggesting you are a participant but...

While I do find goats cute... I assure you I'm not into that type of Goat Humping.

Visit here for details on humping the goat .

As I predicted yesterday, Charlie Beljan, who has made 4 cuts in 12 tries this year, needs to make his 105-yard approach on 9 (his 18th) to shoot a 59 today. Edit: damn, he was in a fairway bunker, and just pitched out. Now he needs to make an 11 footer to save par and shoot 61. How do you not go for a 59? Missed it, finishes with a 62. Tiger and Phil need to shoot something similar, after getting lapped yesterday.

Originally Posted by brocks

Edit: damn, he was in a fairway bunker, and just pitched out. Now he needs to make an 11 footer to save par and shoot 61. How do you not go for a 59?

Well, sometimes it's better not to go for the 59 to rule out turning it into the 65.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by brocks

Thanks for the very interesting article. I remember years ago, when Tiger first played Dubai and everybody was talking about the appearance money he got, I wondered why PGA events couldn't get around the ban on appearance money by (for example) asking a player if he had any suggestions about the course, and then paying him a big "consulting fee," but I just assumed that if I could think of it in five seconds, so could the PGA, and they'd have rules against that kind of thing. I guess I was wrong.

I also don't understand why guys like Tiger and Phil would even be tempted by appearance fees, when they already have more money than they can spend. I would think a week at home, away from the press and public, would be worth more to Tiger than any amount of money he gets for flying halfway around the world and playing an event he otherwise wouldn't play.

I think it is a really hard thing to regulate- sure if the consulting is a pure sham, the Tour could have rules against it, but there is a huge gray area that is not so obvious.  i.e. a guy endorses Buick, wears a Buick logo on his shirt, does a Buick TV commercial and plays in all the events Buick used to sponsor.  The endorsement contract may not say he has to play in those events, but...

These guys are professionals who support themselves playing golf- generally speaking the Tournys that pay them the most money (both prize and other) also have good fields (and are often at nice resorts) so it makes sense for the top players to put them on their schedule.  Would you question a lawyer who worked for a client who offered him the most money or a CEO (or maid or security guard) who worked for a company who offered them the most pay?  Tiger and Phil could probably play in more events than they do and make more money, but they seem to choose a schedule that gets them out there about as much as they want to.  Maybe they could afford to take every week off, but why would they want to do that?  These guys have to travel to most events anyways, so why not pick the ones that pay the most?  I think Lee Westwood could be accused of picking weak events because of appearance $ (much more so than Tiger and Phil who tend to play mostly in events with strong fields), but Westwood is not US based and it is his right to do so.

One thing that wasn`t mentioned in the article was Tom Watson skipping a Sr Major (after having won the first Sr Major of the year) to play in Greenbrier last year because of the commitment he had made.  I believe his is featured in the TV commercials for the resort.  Don`t think it was mentioned, but it looks like he is playing decently with a even par 70 yesterday to beat Tiger and Phil (whose 142 will likely miss the cut).

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Note: This thread is 4278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!