IGNORED

Johnny Miller Master Thread

wengerlaw
Note: This thread is 3276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Thoughts on Johnny Miller (as an announcer)

• Johnny's one of the best announcers in the game
    • Ehh... he's OK
    • I hope Johnny and his nasally voice go away... forever

I've said it before, I don't enjoy Miller's delivery and his I was going to predict that statements.

McCord is a clown, but he doesn't rub wrong the same way that Miller does. Its sportscasting, he takes it lightly. I do like Feherty though. Even when he says something that is stupid/funny, he does it intentionally and it makes it better. I'm thinking of a 230 yard six iron Tiger hit out of the rough to a par 5 and David said something like "This is the greatest shot I have ever seen." It was like 10 feet from the stick, so it was good, but even Tiger, when asked about it in the interview laughed and said something like "he's says that every shot."

As for Ceasar and his Miller run-in: I've played lots of golf with lots of now famous golfers or kids of then famous golfers. Ego and unitary focus on self or kid is an unfortunate common trait. I won't name too many names, but I had a parent who was on the Tour walk in my line WHILE CADDYING for his kid. WTF! Playing partner and I looked at each other and rolled eyes, kid and parent were oblivious. Kid never made it, BTW. Not even close.

• 2 weeks later...
Johnny Miller is to golf what Joe Morgan is to baseball. They both:

1) consider their own talents superior to the talent of today's athletes.
2) are bitter because they are constantly reminded that #1 is false.
3) say stupid crap.
4) negate the talent of their booth partners because they say so much stupid crap.
5) are smug.
6) have moments when they don't make any sense. Oh, I guess that's the same as "they say stupid crap."

Anyone hear Miller say "That was skanky" when Creamer pulled a shot to the left of the green today? I almost pee'd my pant's during the eerie 3-4 sec (seemed like 10) silience after he said that. I can just imagine Dottie's facial expression as she heard that.

Also on Creamer, when she hit another short of the green "That belt buckle must be weighing her down" lol.

G10 9* Proforce V2 HL S
G10 15.5* TFC 129 S
G10 21*, 24* TFC 129 S Hybrids
MP-57 5-PW DG S300
52* MP-R 56*.11, 60*.7 SM Vokey Newport Detour 2.5 Tour Ix, PRO V1x

Anyone hear Miller say "That was skanky" when Creamer pulled a shot to the left of the green today? I almost pee'd my pant's during the eerie 3-4 sec (seemed like 10) silience after he said that. I can just imagine Dottie's facial expression as she heard that.

YES! I thought'd I'd misheard him, that maybe he'd said shanky or lanky...even spanky would have been better than "skanky."

What a goof.

Somethimes I sole my club too deeply when i'm playing just to spite him

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was laughing so hard when he said that. Bet he realized that was

not the appropriate word for that situation. He just seems to ramble on and on sometimes. He's my favirote announcer, but he just seemed to keep going about nothing today.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

• Administrator

It's not the first time he's used that expression this year:

http://thesandtrap.com/pga/2009_us_o...ound_live_blog

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was laughing so hard when he said that. Bet he realized that was

I agree, he's my favorite golf announcer, but he surely has his mess-ups, and this was a prime example of it...

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I cannot stand any of the NBC announcers... Johnny is terrible...

Driver: GigaGolf Verve 17 10.5°
Woods: Gigagolf X2 Fairway 3 Wood, Orlimar Trimetal 19°
Hybrids: Gigagolf Cloud Nine 4
Irons: Gigagolf Cloud Nine Series
Wedge: Gigagolf SGS Black 52° & 58°

Putter: Ping Pal 2i Isopur

Shoes: Adidas

Ball: Titleist NXT

Johnny takes it easy on the women. I guess he doesn't think it's proper to go overboard with analysis when he basically covers only one of their events per year. Today when they replayed Jean Reynolds' swing it was glaring she doesn't get her hands high enough on the backswing and then folds her wrists dramatically. That can't be ideal for power or long term consistency. Miller mentioned the swing oddity but went out of his way to say, "I'm not criticizing." A male pro would have received a different critique. Miller also clearly likes Reynolds and her upbeat attitude so that no doubt contributed to his reluctance to rip.

When Paula was in the deep rough behind the green on #10 it was immediately apparent she was soling the wedge too deeply and would probably chunk it. On a men's event Miller would point that out prior to the result and then go nuts after the flub, that he can't believe how often pros make that mistake. But here he chose to wait for the outcome and then rather tamely offer the standard comment about hitting it too high on the dead part of the blade.

• 2 months later...
to refer to the "tour" as "tur"?

He's said it a few times today. I'm watching the recording of the matches and Tim Clark just stuck a wedge close to which Johnny Miller replies "He's one of the best on 'tur' at that shot."

Sometimes just have to put the TV on mute.

I guess it's better though than him continuing to make the comment that "they won't get that much spin next year Rog with the new grooves." WE GET IT JOHNNY.

I don't care what anybody says. You have to love Johnny Miller. He speaks his mind, and doesn't think twice about what he says. That's why he's one of my favorites.

I actually don't mind him most of the time. He is one of the best of his time and obviously knows what he's talking about. He's usually spot on with everything he says but I wish he'd just stop repeating himself over and over and over and over. It's an 11 hour telecast and I know he's talked about the grooves once everytime someone spins one from the rough.

Aside from that just stop saying "tur." lol

I actually don't mind him most of the time. He is one of the best of his time and obviously knows what he's talking about. He's usually spot on with everything he says but I wish he'd just stop repeating himself over and over and over and over. It's an 11 hour telecast and I know he's talked about the grooves once everytime someone spins one from the rough.

Yeah, I agree with you on how he repeats himself way too much, but as you said it's an 11 hour broadcast you can't just sit there and say nothing. You are going to have to repeat yourself eventually.

I can't stand Johnny Miller. I would much rather watch golf on CBS.

Faldo is my favorite announcer. CBS is great as well.

Note: This thread is 3276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!