IGNORED

My Swing (Golfingdad)

Golfingdad
Note:Β This thread is 1286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Just my observation,Β  I will let the experts correct me if need be.Β  Left knee is still pretty bent into and after impact.Β  The hips might not be opening enough in the drill...?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:PutterΒ :snell:Β MTB BlackΒ Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just my observation,Β  I will let the experts correct me if need be.Β  Left knee is still pretty bent into and after impact.Β  The hips might not be opening enough in the drill...?

Yeah, I didn't get a chance to edit this video so it may not be too obvious to others (since I didn't throw any stills or slow motion in there) ... but, you are correct, it's not too different than before.Β  It's my first attempt though and I'll keep at it ... along with trying Erik's suggestion of more knee flex.

You know how it is ... something that is new can feel so foreign, and yet you watch the playback and you're like "wait a minute ... that looks the same as before!Β  How is that even possible, it felt sooooooooooooo awkward?!?!?!"

Sure, I don't see why not.Β  I'll give it a try next time out.Β  Thanks!

Video below is a good visual to have. Β Like Erik said you are "jumping" without enough knee flex. Β Left knee flexes past the left ankle and then you "spring" up from there. Β Will almost feel like you are lowering your center of gravity.Β  As you spring up the weight stays forward and the hips are forward. Β Like you're holding a sandbag and need to launch it over a ten foot wall in front of you.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

@Golfingdad The video above that Mike posted is GREAT!Β  I just wanted to make a quick video also showing dtl showing glutes/hamstrings squeezing together, belt buckle more toward the target.Β  Try to get to this alignment sooner.Β  Agree with Erik on more knee flex.Β  Now that you have the picture go do some motions in front of a mirror or reflection in a window.Β  Best of luck.

Stephan Kostelecky

Golf Instructor

Youtube

Yeah nice video Stephan. @Golfingdad , for now I would recommend doing it just like Stephan did, without a ball. Β Just get the movement right then add the ball in later.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Yeah nice video Stephan. Β @Golfingdad, for now I would recommend doing it just like Stephan did, without a ball. Β Just get the movement right then add the ball in later.

OK, thanks. Β That's good because I can do that indoors. Β I actually went to the range this morning (before I read your post) and did the drill sort of like Stephan was doing, but with a ball. Β Didn't get a chance to film it though.

I'll do some drills for the next couple of days inside and then when I get back out to the range on Tuesday, I'll film myself doing it with and without some balls. Β [Insert silly comment here @Ernest Jones ] Β And then maybe send that in to Evolvr.

Is it worth it to take a DTL view, or is face on all that's necessary for this?

OK, thanks. Β That's good because I can do that indoors. Β I actually went to the range this morning (before I read your post) and did the drill sort of like Stephan was doing, but with a ball. Β Didn't get a chance to film it though.

I'll do some drills for the next couple of days inside and then when I get back out to the range on Tuesday, I'll film myself doing it with and without some balls. Β [Insert silly comment here @Ernest Jones] Β And then maybe send that in to Evolvr.

Is it worth it to take a DTL view, or is face on all that's necessary for this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk golf

@Golfingdad The video above that Mike posted is GREAT!Β  I just wanted to make a quick video also showing dtl showing glutes/hamstrings squeezing together, belt buckle more toward the target.Β  Try to get to this alignment sooner.Β  Agree with Erik on more knee flex.Β  Now that you have the picture go do some motions in front of a mirror or reflection in a window.Β  Best of luck.

I would personally prefer to see both DTL and FO.Β  Things to look for in the DTL view are posted above.

Stephan Kostelecky

Golf Instructor

Youtube

Went out today and got some video of me attempting this drill.Β  Was going to send it in to Evolvr but after watching it, I can already see that I'm not really doing it correctly, so instead, and for posterity's sake, I'll just post them here.Β  (Notice I also made a point to turn the phone sideways ;))

• Administrator

That's a lot better.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I was sitting around over the weekend with nothing to do so I finally got around to watching my 5SK videos.Β  Pretty repetitive stuff for somebody who is on Evolvr and has been to a few 5SK clinics or lessons, but still enjoyable.Β  (I even got to see more of the "Holy moses!" girl from the commercials :))

One thing that I didn't really think of at the time, butΒ popped into my headΒ when I was out at the range today, was when they were talking about the grip (disc 3, 15 min mark for those who care), and specifically, talking about the right index finger.Β  Chuck says that you can use the right index finger as sort of a monitor for your clubface, as long as its on the back side of the shaft.

Well, it just so happens that Stephan has me working with a weaker (maybe "less strong" is a better term) grip to try and help curtail the overdraws that tend to pop up every once in awhile.Β  Now that finger is right on the back of the shaft, so today at the range - and I only remembered this for about the last 10 balls or so - I tried to be conscious of that finger and "feel" it directly opposite the target at impact.Β  Those 10 balls all started right where I had intended!

Does this mean anything?Β  Maybe.Β  Maybe not.Β  Maybe **** yourself.Β  (Sorry, I love The Departed , and love quoting movies, had to throw that in there. ;))Β  Seriously though, I was hitting it pretty good the whole session and I was only using a 9 iron at the time, so its possible there is no connection to this 'trigger finger' but I will try it out again tomorrow to see where it leads.

----------------------------------------

Also, I feel like I'm making good progress with my straighter legs at impact.Β  We moved our coffee table out of the living room this weekend so now I can take swings in there while I'm watching TV!!Β  I've been doing the drill every night and its starting to take hold a bit.

Things are moving!!

I was sitting around over the weekend with nothing to do so I finally got around to watching my 5SK videos.Β  Pretty repetitive stuff for somebody who is on Evolvr and has been to a few 5SK clinics or lessons, but still enjoyable.Β  (I even got to see more of the "Holy moses!" girl from the commercials :))

One thing that I didn't really think of at the time, butΒ popped into my headΒ when I was out at the range today, was when they were talking about the grip (disc 3, 15 min mark for those who care), and specifically, talking about the right index finger.Β  Chuck says that you can use the right index finger as sort of a monitor for your clubface, as long as its on the back side of the shaft.

Well, it just so happens that Stephan has me working with a weaker (maybe "less strong" is a better term) grip to try and help curtail the overdraws that tend to pop up every once in awhile.Β  Now that finger is right on the back of the shaft, so today at the range - and I only remembered this for about the last 10 balls or so - I tried to be conscious of that finger and "feel" it directly opposite the target at impact.Β  Those 10 balls all started right where I had intended!

Does this mean anything?Β  Maybe.Β  Maybe not.Β  Maybe **** yourself.Β  (Sorry, I love The Departed, and love quoting movies, had to throw that in there. ;))Β  Seriously though, I was hitting it pretty good the whole session and I was only using a 9 iron at the time, so its possible there is no connection to this 'trigger finger' but I will try it out again tomorrow to see where it leads.

----------------------------------------

Also, I feel like I'm making good progress with my straighter legs at impact.Β  We moved our coffee table out of the living room this weekend so now I can take swings in there while I'm watching TV!!Β  I've been doing the drill every night and its starting to take hold a bit.

Things are moving!!

I am always conscious of my right fore-finger for some reason. It's annoying because I always think of Hogan's book where he says that it shouldn't be too forceful, yet I can't help but flex it sometimes. Thanks for enlightening me a little to the fact that it can actually be used (obviously not RELIED UPON, butΒ used) for clubface control. At the very least that drops my anxiety about that stupid finger lol...."let's not cry over spilled guineas."

Does this mean anything?Β  Maybe.Β  Maybe not.Β  Maybe **** yourself.Β  (Sorry, I love The Departed , and love quoting movies, had to throw that in there. ;))Β  Seriously though, I was hitting it pretty good the whole session and I was only using a 9 iron at the time, so its possible there is no connection to this 'trigger finger' but I will try it out again tomorrow to see where it leads.

What's the matter, smartass, you don't know any ****in' Shakespeare? :-D

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Does this mean anything?Β  Maybe.Β  Maybe not.Β  Maybe **** yourself.Β  (Sorry, I love The Departed, and love quoting movies, had to throw that in there. ;))Β  Seriously though, I was hitting it pretty good the whole session and I was only using a 9 iron at the time, so its possible there is no connection to this 'trigger finger' but I will try it out again tomorrow to see where it leads.

What's the matter, smartass, you don't know any ****in' Shakespeare?

We'd help you, but unfortunately, golf instruction is like growing mushrooms. Feed 'em shit and keep 'em in the dark. :-P

Constantine

Thanks for skipping the first "line" of that statement and not farting on myswing thread. ;-)

We'd help you, but unfortunately, golf instruction is like growing mushrooms. Feed 'em shit and keep 'em in the dark.

@JetFan1983 , I'd be happy to receive some help from you. Β But first I'm gonna take a little break. Β Gonna step outside for a smokeΒ you wanna smoke you don't smoke do ya what are ya one of those fitness freaks go **** yourself! :beer:

I gotta watch this tonight!! Β (By some miracle I don't own the DVD tho, how the heck did that happen??)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

Thanks for skipping the first "line" of that statement and not farting on myswing thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

We'd help you, but unfortunately, golf instruction is like growing mushrooms. Feed 'em shit and keep 'em in the dark.

@JetFan1983, I'd be happy to receive some help from you. Β But first I'm gonna take a little break. Β Gonna step outside for a smokeΒ you wanna smoke you don't smoke do ya what are ya one of those fitness freaks go **** yourself!

I gotta watch this tonight!! Β (By some miracle I don't own the DVD tho, how the heck did that happen??)

Ehhh, don't sweat it. Golf pretty much sucks as a game, but you get to form relationships.

Constantine

Played in another tournament today. Β Didn't do good, didn't do bad, just kinda ... played. Β I guess you could say I "grinded." Β (Or is it "ground?" Β Neither sound even close to correct.)Β Β Anyways, I never felt terribly comfortable, and never hit any amazing shots, but most of the ones that I did hit poorly, I recovered from OK. Β No big, bad blowup holes ... just a couple of sloppy double bogeys, and the rest bogeys and pars. Β (Oh, and finished with a birdie on the par 5 9th after being over the green in two) :)

Putted pretty well for the first nine ... making all of those 4-6Β footers. Β But then on the back, I missed 3 or 4 of them. Β Ended up with 34 putts total, and shot 85. Β Good for T4.

As far as my swing goes, I think once I get more comfortable with this weaker grip, I'll know that the left side of the course is not a worry anymore, and things will snowball up from there. Β For now, I still tense up a bit and worry that I'll hook one, don't commit to the shot and hit an ugly push fade. Β I'll get there.

Practice, practice, practice.

Yeah nice video Stephan. Β @Golfingdad, for now I would recommend doing it just like Stephan did, without a ball. Β Just get the movement right then add the ball in later.

Here's a video from today of me working on this.Β  I'd be able to see any differences a little better face on but there was a dude there today, so no dice.Β  (I also forgot to turn the phone sideways again, whoops)

Overall, I hit the ball quite well today.

• Administrator

Sorry. No comments on your swing per se, but I had to post this:

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Note:Β This thread is 1286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!