IGNORED

My Swing (Golfingdad)

Golfingdad
Note:Β This thread is 1307 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Hey cipher it wasn't for you. Not sure what your swing is but these are correct.

Don't have much time but yes it is not about me. It is about Drew. He should not move the weight to his heels, he should not "feel" he is holding off the hips, his stance is not too wide and his right elbow arm bend is fine at the moment. But I'll just say that Drew has a good idea of what he needs to be doing.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5)Β :touredge:(2H)Β MIURA MB-101(3-PW)Β :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey:Β :snell:Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As you said your weight is on the balls of your feet. So your out of balance as seen when you lost your balance set your weight in your ankles and more in the heels.. Your stance is too wide narrow it up a bit. Your letting your right arm flex way too early, you want to swing with the feeling that the golf swing is wide,narrow, wide.keep the club out in front of you don't get it too deep behind you. This will cause you to hit pushes, blocks or higher handicappers come over the top to get the club back on plane. As far as the hips are concerned you need them to be more passive. At impact you want them to be about 30 degrees open and at that point they stop and the arms and hands come down and after you make impact the hips turn. You want to feel like your shoulders are closed and hips square at the target at impact even though they won't be. Hope this helps.

[quote name="Dean Greene" url="/t/60622/my-swing-golfingdad/330_30#post_994036"]Try and feel that your belt buckle is facing the ball at impact not pointing to the sky. This will keep your hips from spinning open too early. You also don't want to hang back on your right side and Change your spine angle(tilt). We want 80 percent of our weight on the left side(stacked)[/quote] Thanks for the advice Dean, I appreciate the time. I have a couple of things I'm currently working on at the moment with my coaches (straighter legs at impact and flatter shaft in downswing) and once I get those down I'll move on to the next thing they have for me. Who knows, maybe it'll be one of the things you mentioned. ;) Cipher has been following along with my progress, knows who my coaches are and what we are working on right now, which is why even though it's "not about him" he's perfectly qualified to chime in here. But again, I do appreciate the advice. Thanks! [quote name="cipher" url="/t/60622/my-swing-golfingdad/330_30#post_994063"] Don't have much time but yes it is not about me. It is about Drew. He should not move the weight to his heels, he should not "feel" he is holding off the hips, his stance is not too wide and his right elbow arm bend is fine at the moment. But I'll just say that Drew has a good idea of what he needs to be doing.[/quote]Thanks bud!!!:beer:

Try and feel that your belt buckle is facing the ball at impact not pointing to the sky. This will keep your hips from spinning open too early.

Disagree he's spinning the hips open. We found that better players tend to have the hips open 35-40 degrees at impact. The belt buckle to the sky feel helps encourage the thrust piece. Drew tends to "sag" the knees and that gets the path of the club head moving down and left (slightly). More "thrust" will help keep that swing direction consistently positive.

Try and feel that your belt buckle is facing the ball at impact not pointing to the sky. This will keep your hips from spinning open too early. You also don't want to hang back on your right side and Change your spine angle(tilt). We want 80 percent of our weight on the left side(stacked)

I also don't agree that you want to be "stacked" at impact, your hips and weight are forward ( 80-95%) but the head is centered, creating axis tilt (right side bend). If the spine is too vertical at impact, the angle of attack is going to be too steep and the golfer will have to pull the elbows apart to shallow it out.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Alright, here we go.Β  Went and got this at lunch today.Β  Here are the three lies from the first video:

So the first shot is close to OP lie 1, then the next one is like lie 3, and the last is lie 2.Β  Without further adieu ...

As you can see, I basically hit these all with the same type of stroke.Β  Basically, my best attempt at Erik and Mike's pitching technique.Β  I waffle between using the most loft and the most bounce on these shots (my 54 has 3 or 4 more degrees of bounce than my 59) but for all of these shots, I'm using the 59.

And here are the lies from my FO video, and they are basically all variations of lie 3 from the OP, with the second one being a particular doozy. :)

And here is the action:

I certainly wouldn't consider myself an outstanding short game player, but with this pitching technique, it's at least (usually) a virtual certainty that I'll have something resembling a makeable putt for an up and down.Β  Four of the six here left me inside of 8 feet or so, but there were no tap-ins.

Good stuff Drew, good way to test yourself too, doing it all in one take. One thing I saw on the second shot in the second video, make sure to let the club "fall" into the ball. The speed comes from the pivot and the "flip", on that shot you almost look like you tried to add speed by speeding up the hands. Does that make sense?

Just copying this stuff over from the "Close to the hole" pitching/chipping thread for easy reference in the future.

I was going to post this a couple of weeks ago to say "this is the only video I was able to get today," which was really just a selfish translation of "look how darn cute my kid is!"Β  However, when I heard myself speak, I realized it's really not that important.

Well, I'll post it now, just so I can say @jamo I no from where you speak.Β  In fact, I think we've discussed this before.Β  As a teenager I answered lots of phone calls from telemarketers who after hearing my voice would say "Is your husband home?" :doh:

I was going to post this a couple of weeks ago to say "this is the only video I was able to get today," which was really just a selfish translation of "look how darn cute my kid is!"Β  However, when I heard myself speak, I realized it's really not that important.

Well, I'll post it now, just so I can say @jamoΒ I no from where you speak.Β  In fact, I think we've discussed this before.Β  As a teenager I answered lots of phone calls from telemarketers who after hearing my voice would say "Is your husband home?"

Awesome, I hope he had fun.

Nate

We go every couple of weeks now.Β  He enjoys it ... for a while.Β  Same pattern each time:Β  We'll split a large bucket in half, he'll complain if my half looks at all bigger than his, we adjust as necessary, then he'll hit 10-15 balls before he gets tired, and then he'll sit down and play games on my phone while I finish the rest of the bucket.Β  Then we go putt for 10 minutes or so (and he's getting the hang of that one finally) and then it's time to go.

He knows that I'll buy him a treat if he good, which is realistically the only reason he comes.Β (That day it was a Gatorade, this weekend it was Skittles) :-P But I figure if I don't push him and he keeps coming of his own accord, then he just may start really liking it eventually.

Well, I'll post it now, just so I can say @jamoΒ I no from where you speak.Β  In fact, I think we've discussed this before.Β  As a teenager I answered lots of phone calls from telemarketers who after hearing my voice would say "Is your husband home?"

Lol. Yeah, that video really undermines your "face punching" mystique. :-P

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

We go every couple of weeks now.Β  He enjoys it ... for a while.Β  Same pattern each time:Β  We'll split a large bucket in half, he'll complain if my half looks at all bigger than his, we adjust as necessary, then he'll hit 10-15 balls before he gets tired, and then he'll sit down and play games on my phone while I finish the rest of the bucket.Β  Then we go putt for 10 minutes or so (and he's getting the hang of that one finally) and then it's time to go.

He knows that I'll buy him a treat if he good, which is realistically the only reason he comes.Β (That day it was a Gatorade, this weekend it was Skittles)Β But I figure if I don't push him and he keeps coming of his own accord, then he just may start really liking it eventually.

LOL my son does the same thing.Β  He wants to make sure he has the bigger half.Β  However he is old enough now that will hit all of his balls faster than me and then he will come over and steal more of mine.Β  It is all in good fun, I am just glad that he likes it. :beer:

Nate

Lol. Yeah, that video really undermines your "face punching" mystique.

You and Ledo were the only ones to ever buy in to that "mystique" anyway. ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cipher

He knows that I'll buy him a treat if he good, which is realistically the only reason he comes.Β (That day it was a Gatorade, this weekend it was Skittles)Β But I figure if I don't push him and he keeps coming of his own accord, then he just may start really liking it eventually.

I bet he starts liking it when he starts being surprised with how far he can hit the ball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Lol. Yeah, that video really undermines your "face punching" mystique.

You and Ledo were the only ones to ever buy in to that "mystique" anyway.

If it makes you feel any better, I watched the video with no sound, so I am still scared (for awhile anyway).

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

He's too much over plane at A2 and needs more beta torque.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Well, I'll post it now, just so I can say @jamo I no from where you speak.Β  In fact, I think we've discussed this before.Β  As a teenager I answered lots of phone calls from telemarketers who after hearing my voice would say "Is your husband home?" :doh:

Haha yeah, I got that too. Or I got called "ma'am" anytime I called somewhere. I remember trying to deepen my voice when I recorded the voice mail message on my first cell phone.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Cute kid. Did you sign him up for "First Tee"? He could have the company of dozens of other kids just like him. Maybe make new friends and go on many "golf" play dates. . .

Now, about your voice. It sounds nothing like when you're in person. Kind of, but I don't remember your voice being so "tenor" so to speak. . .

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I remember trying to deepen my voice when I recorded the voice mail message on my first cell phone.

Yeah, I'll do that too sometimes.Β  It's the verbal version of the "stomach suck-in" when a girl walks by at the beach.

OTOH, sometimes I just go with it.Β  If I could carry a tune, I could be a mean Frankie Valli impersonator! :beer:

Cute kid. Did you sign him up for "First Tee"? He could have the company of dozens of other kids just like him. Maybe make new friends and go on many "golf" play dates. . .

Have not looked into it.Β  He did go through a small series of lessons last summer with a friend called "Tiny tees" that he enjoyed fairly well.Β  I'll check out First Tee though, thanks!

EDIT:Β  Their website says the program is for 8 year olds to 18 year olds ... so he still has 3 years. ;)

Yeah, I'll do that too sometimes.Β  It's the verbal version of the "stomach suck-in" when a girl walks by at the beach.

OTOH, sometimes I just go with it.Β  If I could carry a tune, I could be a mean Frankie Valli impersonator!

Have not looked into it.Β  He did go through a small series of lessons last summer with a friend called "Tiny tees" that he enjoyed fairly well.Β  I'll check out First Tee though, thanks!

EDIT:Β  Their website says the program is for 8 year olds to 18 year olds ... so he still has 3 years. ;)

Wow, I guess they are all different. I remember a few lids that looked a lot younger than 8. If you decide to come up to the Pasadena Area, let me know, we can play a round together.

General Information

The First Tee of Pasadena holds 8-week junior programs year-round at seven different locations around the San Gabriel Valley and are directed towards youth ages 5 to 17 . Golf equipment provided free of charge if needed.Β  Any classes cancelled due to weather or holidays will be made up on the following week(s) after the 8-week session ends.Β  Make up class information is posted on our Website, Facebook page, Twitter page & our Yapp App."

EDIT: Take a look at this link: http://www.thefirstteeorangecounty.org/club/scripts/section/section.asp?NS=GPI

They have programs starting at 4 years old. Join it, but also donate a little more, as it is only $45 for the Starter program for 9 weeks.

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Not quite as entertaining as @cipher 's kids vlog, but I did take some video yesterday.Β  He doesn't have as good as an A17 I know, but at least in the first swing, he does have several pretty awesome A4's. ;)Β  He even has time to look at me and make sure the camera is recording. :beer:

Not quite as entertaining as @cipherΒ 's kids vlog, but I did take some video yesterday.Β  He doesn't have as good as an A17 I know, but at least in the first swing, he does have several pretty awesome A4's. ;)Β  He even has time to look at me and make sure the camera is recording.

:beer: Fun!

Nate

Note:Β This thread is 1307 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!