IGNORED

My Swing (Golfingdad)

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 1283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got a couple of new DTL videos but was unable to take any face on last time out to monitor the head position.  Seeing some improvements here.  Will also eventually figure out the embedding. ;)

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

Looking better Drew! 

Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I had a bit of an epiphany at the range today.  The below left picture was what I typically would do while trying to shallow out or bow the left wrist on the downswing.

a98f18e8_drew3.jpeg

This analysis from @mvmac helped me to finally realize that the steep/shallow hands are independent from the hand depth.  I would always conflate those two things and tuck the hands back closer to my body, and thus much deeper than necessary, when trying to shallow out the downswing.  And it was mostly fruitless as well because I wasn't shallowing anything.  Today I finally took a few swings with the left arm not nearly as deep coming down.  I was unable to get any video today to confirm it, and to monitor the steepness, but I'm pretty confident that I was less deep.  I'm also interested in seeing how that change might help keep the right elbow from going as far around me as it is wont to do. :)

This analysis from @mvmac helped me to finally realize that the steep/shallow hands are independent from the hand depth.  I would always conflate those two things and tuck the hands back closer to my body, and thus much deeper than necessary, when trying to shallow out the downswing.  And it was mostly fruitless as well because I wasn't shallowing anything.  Today I finally took a few swings with the left arm not nearly as deep coming down.  I was unable to get any video today to confirm it, and to monitor the steepness, but I'm pretty confident that I was less deep.  I'm also interested in seeing how that change might help keep the right elbow from going as far around me as it is wont to do. :)

Nice. Yeah you'll be able to shallow it more effectively with the left arm moving more "out" than "down and in".

I think we did something like this in that lesson with Dana and myself? I'll give you a refresher on Sunday :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Here are some comparison shots from September 23rd (left) to yesterday (right).  Can see some improvement in the DTL views, mush less so in the FO views.

Analyzr Image Export.jpeg

Steeper at A4, consequently slightly less deep at A5 - differences most notably by comparing hands and shaft location vs. right shoulder.

Analyzr Image Export2.jpeg

Here I guess my head has tipped forward slightly less, but not that noticeable.  (Tiny variation in camera angle might also be a factor here)

Analyzr Image Export3.jpeg

Nothing much changed here.

Analyzr Image Export4.jpeg

And here's a driver video from yesterday as well.

• Upvote 1

Love it, nice work Drew!

You definitely hit the ball well on Sunday, especially your irons. They launched at a good trajectory but not "spinny" like before.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

Love it, nice work Drew!

You definitely hit the ball well on Sunday, especially your irons. They launched at a good trajectory but not "spinny" like before.

Great stuff, I agree. Big changes (though to some they'll look smaller, you and I and @mvmac and some others know how big that change truly is).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)

a1-a2.jpg

a3-a4.jpg

a5-a6.jpg

a7-a10.jpg

Here are my videos from Monday.  Fiddling around with Analyzr and made a swiing sequence with both FO and DTL in sync but the file is apparently too big to post (>4.88MB)

Edited by iacas
embedded other video
  • Upvote 1

• Administrator

Here are my videos from Monday.  Fiddling around with Analyzr and made a swiing sequence with both FO and DTL in sync but the file is apparently too big to post (>4.88MB)

Upload those to YouTube and embed them just the same. You can do it right from within Analyzr.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I really like how simple your swing looks! 

I've noticed that your arms collapse (the left bends) at the end of the back swing, so you are wasting all your wide backswing leverage. This movement should happen at the beginning of the downswing end your left arm should remain straight and accentuate your wrist angle to maximize whip.

Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 10.04.03 AM.png

• Administrator

I've noticed that your arms collapse (the left bends) at the end of the back swing, so you are wasting all your wide backswing leverage. This movement should happen at the beginning of the downswing end your left arm should remain straight and accentuate your wrist angle to maximize whip.

I disagree, first with characterizing that as "collapsing" his left elbow, and second with the concept you seem to be getting at.

In fact, if I was to build a swing with the sole purpose of swinging as fast as I could, I'd add more levers (including the left elbow bending), I would not decrease the number of levers. If the left elbow bends, it can always straighten back out again. I tend to favor it not bending much because the lever length changes, but a little is typically fine and can add some speed. 

I disagree, first with characterizing that as "collapsing" his left elbow, and second with the concept you seem to be getting at.

In fact, if I was to build a swing with the sole purpose of swinging as fast as I could, I'd add more levers (including the left elbow bending), I would not decrease the number of levers. If the left elbow bends, it can always straighten back out again. I tend to favor it not bending much because the lever length changes, but a little is typically fine and can add some speed. 

I agree with the more levers the faster the swing, If the left arm comes back straight just before impact it's okay, it's more of a timing issue than a lever length change to me if I don't do it. But right now it looks like his arms are collapsing before starting the downswing, if this position is a good position wouldn't he be better off just taking the club back that way and not change his arc length just before starting the downswing, if it was in the downswing I wouldn't mind because it would be a dynamic reaction to the force generated by the turn of the body.

Edited by ygmondoux

• Administrator

I agree with the more levers the faster the swing, If the left arm comes back straight just before impact it's okay, it's more of a timing issue than a lever length change to me if I don't do it. But right now it looks like his arms are collapsing before starting the downswing, if this position is a good position wouldn't he be better off just taking the club back that way and not change his arc length just before starting the downswing, if it was in the downswing I wouldn't mind because it would be a dynamic reaction to the force generated by the turn of the body.

His left arm is straight at A7. And the little sag you see is likely because he is so wide during the backswing that when it narrows a little, it builds a little momentum (the wrists, etc.) and the elbows collapse (I'm using your word there - I wouldn't call the left elbow "collapsing" at all) that teeny tiny bit.

I don't think worrying about his left arm is at all a priority right now.

• Upvote 1

Man, swing looks great Drew.  What are you working on right now?  Is the head moving away from the target in the down swing something you just mentioned or a priority right now?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Pretty noticeable changes in the comparison. Very nice!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

(edited)

Man, swing looks great Drew.  What are you working on right now?  Is the head moving away from the target in the down swing something you just mentioned or a priority right now?

Thanks Matt.  Yeah, head drifted forward on backswing and backwards on downswing.  I've been able to somewhat clean up half of that while working on a couple of intertwined things.  From Mike's post a page or two ago:

So I'd recommend feeling like the head translates to the right little on the backswing as you make a BIG turn keeping the right arm pressure point in place. Then on the downswing bow the left wrist and open up with the body. The head staying centered or even moving back slightly will help this. Might almost feel like you're hitting cuts with the downswing motion but the ball will still draw. Priority is the backswing for now, the "translating" feel will help you turn all the way to 4 and lengthen the arm swing.

And then Erik's:

• Head's drifting forward a bit.
  • Backswing could be longer.
  • Elbows soften in transition as the head begins to dip back.
  • Left arm stays too far in on downswing.
  • Pivot stalls. Clubhead overtakes hands fast.

So, like he said:

• Continue to work on the backswing and not extending. It may feel like you turn a BUNCH but your head drifts backward six inches, Barney.
  • Pivot hard forward and then left while you throw the left arm out and down to the ball.

So I'm working on a bigger turn, feel like heads going back, bow left wrist at top, left arm out at ball (not so deep and behind me) on downswing, pivot hard.  Might be a bit much to be attempting at once, so often times I end up just working on one of those per swing or session.  In fact, I think today I may solely focus on the bowing left wrist part and see where that takes me.  (It will require slower swings, methinks) :)

P.S.  Your avatar is messed up - it might be too big of a file or something for the new platform, I don't know.  I can't see anything though. :-P

P.P.S.  Never mind - sounds like it's my computer that's messed up, not your avatar. ;)

Edited by Golfingdad
added P.S.

These are some pitching videos from the other day.  I'm not sure how great the form is, but the results have pretty solid for awhile now.

See @jbishop15, I'm having the same problem.  Sometimes it seems to work, sometimes it doesn't.  I don't know.

These are some pitching videos from the other day.  I'm not sure how great the form is, but the results have pretty solid for awhile now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLiWf_Q0vjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qckNtP3js-Q

See @jbishop15, I'm having the same problem.  Sometimes it seems to work, sometimes it doesn't.  I don't know.

Yeah, I see. I thought the site had switched to a 'just post the link and it'll put itself' thing, but that doesn't seem to be working very well. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Note: This thread is 1283 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!