IGNORED

This bothered me at the range this morning.

Chilidipper
Note: This thread is 6166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I tend to swear a lot when I play golf but ESPECIALLY around children you just have to keep it to yourself and not make a scene.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

Cussing a lot is one thing. I, for one, cuss alot. When I'm on the course, I would rather put my frustrations into four-letter words rather then keep it pent up inside me and let it distract me from my next shot. When I'm at the range, I have a totally different mindset. That's practice time, and when you practice, you will experience both success and failure so you must understand what's happening and fix your problems, not keep repating them and making a scene. To sit there and make a donkey out of yourself in front of everybody is stupid, and to act like that in front of children is worse. But who are you to teach another grown man morals and ethics? He was probably raised poorly and the best thing you can do as a father is explain to your children what he's doing wrong and why it's wrong. Confrontation would not solve the problem, it would only worsen it.

The guy is a douche, but you will find those people everywhere. You should invest in an IPod for your practice time and then you won't be distracted by other peoples negativity.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

I was at the range this morning and I heard this guy cussing up a storm about how he was slicing everything. I stood behind him and it was the same guy from a few weeks ago who was completely bragging about how he was smoking the ball and he was going to go low this weekend on the course. Well the only difference now was he wasn't smashing the balls he was slicing the heck out of the ball. Now keep in mind this is a public range and there are a lot of children clinics going on. Well anyway two things really bothered me about this guy. First he was bragging the first time now he was struggling, but he was so over the top it was sickening. He literally was chopping wood, casting, over the top, whatever you want to describe it but it was bad. Anyway the 2nd thing that bothered me was he was cussing so much yelling the F word loud very loud with kids around. It was boardline screaming FK!! and something other words followed by the f word. Have any of you experienced this before. I was very uncomfortable and being a father of a 4.5 year old daughter I was getting very angry.

What did you do about it?

Complaining to us isn't going to rid the problem.
In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

I don't put up with cussing in front of my kid, and usually other people's kids as well. But I'm a pretty big guy, so I have the luxury of not putting up with things that I don't want to. It sucks because even after you tell the guy to watch his language, your attitude and heart rate are shot for the next hour. Good luck hitting decent shots after that.

Yeah, I can just tell how scared I'd be...... A BIG guy, Oh Jeez

You know what they say......
In The Bag

Driver: FT3 -or- TMTB
Woods: Cobra F-Speed
Hybrids: Cally FT, 3 & 4Irons: T/M R7TP's, W/PX 5.5 Wedge: Cally X-Forged, 52 & 58Putter: S/C Studio II Ballz: T/M Black -or- Prov1X

philfest, I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I go around busting heads when people don't act right in public. My point was that I am a large man, so I don't usually worry about physical confrontations because they rarely come up with that type of person when they are dealing with a large person. Like JKilgore said, who am I to teach another man morals or ethics?

However, a driving range or golf course is not a public place, it is a place of business, like a restaurant. If I go to a steak house with the family, and the guy at the next table keeps telling dirty jokes at the top of his lungs, I'm going to ask him to stop. So if I paid to hit balls somewhere and I guy is in the middle of a full blown hissy and can't control his mouth, I don't really care. But if there are kids around, I'll ask him to stop. Not because I'm a bad ass, but because it's the right thing to do. If I'm playing golf with my biggest customer and he starts cussing on the range while a junior clinic is being put on, I'll ask him to stop. And I have. It's called manning up.
In my bag:
The failed hopes and dreams of 25 years of golf (on DG S300 shafts with Lamkin Crossline midsize grips)

Not because I'm a bad ass, but because it's the right thing to do. If I'm playing golf with my biggest customer and he starts cussing on the range while a junior clinic is being put on, I'll ask him to stop. And I have. It's called manning up.

couldnt agree more.... When your out on the course do what you will, when your on the range and around kids you need to keep your actions in check. If the kids were there goofing off and being loud I bet he would have said something to them.... so whats the difference? If others actions are out of line and bothering you, bring it to their attention.

Like it or not kids are watching and learning form what we do on and around the golf course. We throw clubs, they will throw clubs, we swear, they will swear, we take 6 hours to play, guess what?.....
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

What did you do about it?

I didn't say anything. I left the range and drove away. Next time maybe I'll laugh at him and call him a freaking a hole and make fun of his drive. It's my right, right?! So if he can blast f bombs I can sit behind him and rip on his swing the whole time.

I routinely cuss on the course after a bad shot. I'd rather let it out in colorful four letter words than keeping it inside me, building it up, causing more bad shots and thrown clubs. Then again, there is some sense of...eh, decency, to keep a lid on it when in front of a handful of kids. Monkey see, monkey do.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

This is a conscious decision on my part to turn something that could upset me into a motivation to improve.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I feel like if it was that big of a problem, then the guy running the clinic for the kids would've said something. It's ultimately his responsibility. Either step up and approach him yourself, or don't whine about it.

Home Course:
Town of Colonie (69.7-70.1, 119-125)

Note: This thread is 6166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!