IGNORED

Webb Simpson and Stewart Cink Show their Support for Chick-fil-A

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(I used to love Woody Allen movies and now I can't watch them.)

Same here, but it has nothing to do with his private life; it's more to do with his early movies being hilarious, and his later ones being boring.

Give the guy more credit for his beliefs. This isn't some off the cuff remark. It is a statement of a position that he has held for years.  And of course he has also backed it up with several million dollars in donations.

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

He didn't siren his beliefs. He was asked a question in an interview and he answered it. If the result of that is that he sells fewer sandwiches than so be it. Just because he owns a business doesn't mean he shouldn't state his opinions.

Originally Posted by Doctorfro

Dang, dude.  Got issues? or good drugs? (sorry, couldn't help myself)

I do have issues.  I do not tolerate bigotry.  I also have a low tolerance for fools and those too lazy to bother understanding complex issues, instead preferring soundbite-journalism and Twitter-length statements.  Why, are you having a problem with this?

As someone else has said previously, in a generation or so, we will look back at this issue the same way that we look back on laws prohibiting mixed-race marriages, wondering how people from days gone by could be so ridiculously and irrationally prejudiced.  Maybe we'll have enough Supreme Court justices who will put equality for all people before states' rights and advancement of right wing religious agendas and these anti-gay marriage bigotry laws and state constitutional amendments will be overturned in the next few years or decade.  If not, I'm sure we'll have a few hold-outs like Mississippi and Alabama who will keep up their discriminatory laws.  Before you get your panties in a twist, Bamagrad, let me tell you that I lived in Alabama for a few years and while I'm sure it's better now than it was 25 years ago, it is hardly a place where open-minded thinking and equality-minded people thrive in abundance.  I worked with a fellow alumnus of yours who told me, with full seriousness and more than a little bitterness, "My great, great, great grand-daddy used to have a plantation with thousands of acres and over 150 slaves.  That would all have been mine if it wasn't for you damn Yankees tearing apart our traditions and our way of life."  I found that such mentalities weren't uncommon there, which is why I have no plans to go back to that state, notwithstanding your admirable Robert Trent Jones golf trail, the nicest white sand beaches in the US and the fact that there certainly are some people who live there that give a damn about people who are different from themselves.

• Upvote 1

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by Wisguy

... and the fact that there certainly are some people who live there that give a damn about people who are different from themselves.

Did anyone at CFA say they didn't give a damn about people who are different from themselves? No....just that they didn't agree with them.  Just because people don't agree doesn't mean they hate.  But you obviously don't get that.  You seem to want to go on tirades (mega length posts) where you can spout your superior knowledge so you can feel as such.  Fact is, you really don't know the people you have such low opinions of nor do you completely understand these "groups" that you bash.  S'ok.  Your opinion.  You're entitled.

I strongly support Chick fil a!!  Truett Cathey has been stead fast and up front about his company's stance on Christian values.  He was my son's Sunday school teacher and his company has done wonderful things for kids through scholarships to college.  I believe that all men are created equal in the sight of God and their value and worth is not subject to debate. The issue is behavior and subject to all opinions.  But there is only one Judge.  And He gets the final word.

The dead horse rises...

Luggage,

Welcome to the forum and the discussion. I'm sure Mr. Cathey is a very nice guy. His views do represent what many call "Christian" views. There are also many of us Christians that do not share his interpretation and characterization of his views as if they are The Christian views. A more accurate way to represent his value set might be "fundamentalist Christian values."

I agree that the CFA organization has been upfront about their "values." And they put their money where their mouth is and support groups that lobby for their political positions -- including anti-gay hate groups. That's why some support and others do not. Please avoid the shorthand that implies that all Christians share CFA's values when it comes to gay rights.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by luggage

I strongly support Chick fil a!!  Truett Cathey has been stead fast and up front about his company's stance on Christian values.  He was my son's Sunday school teacher and his company has done wonderful things for kids through scholarships to college.  I believe that all men are created equal in the sight of God and their value and worth is not subject to debate. The issue is behavior and subject to all opinions.  But there is only one Judge.  And He gets the final word.

Thank you for your point of view. I for one don't see how a loving God would judge one whose "behavior" (as you call it) regarding who they decide to love would condemn them to a life in hell. I really have a hard time with this viewpoint in some Christians.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You're my favorite kind of Christian, always quick to point out where someone might be falling short of your gods expectections.  If the issue is behavior then I expect there will be a fair number of priests that won't be judged favorably when He gets the final word.

Joe Paradiso

There is definitely a liberal christian wing that used to fight for social justice. But they don't get much press these days.  They are on the way to becoming the same as a liberal republican.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSchott

Thank you for your point of view. I for one don't see how a loving God would judge one whose "behavior" (as you call it) regarding who they decide to love would condemn them to a life in hell. I really have a hard time with this viewpoint in some Christians.

• Upvote 1

Too many people here seem to be taking some random person behind a computer's opinion "personally."

I'm not going to single any one person out (that serves no purpose), but twisting words around so you can spew venom towards someone else is silly and certainly doesn't influence someone to change their stance on any issue.

"...for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God"

"...those without sin cast the first stone."

etc.

1)  There is a bid difference between Discernment and Judging another person.

2)  We all believe that certain things are right or wrong...maybe some grey thrown in there too.

3)  Just because an executive believes the bible says marriage is between man and woman doesn't not mean that he hates anyone.

4)  For those that believe homosexuals have the right to marry under gods law...that doesn't mean that they hate anyone that disagrees with that stance.

I respect peoples opinion, especially those that take the high road and simply state what they believe and let God be the judge.  Some people will look at any opportunity to attack Christianity.  If one Christian screws up he is a hypocrite.  If another tries to take a stand on an issue they get slammed by the media.

• Upvote 2

I simply support the Christian view of the family and same sex relationship.  All of of are God children and neither I nor does He in the bible preach hate against Homosexuals.  Anyone who says the bible hates or teaches Christians to hate anyone does not understand the bible and probably not read the entire book.  Many like to use the Leviticus scripture  but the teaching against same sex is in the old and new testament (if one cares)  Many have not the slightest interest in what God says (assuming you believe in God) and that is the individuals right.  But just as in Golf if you do not understand the fundamentals and choose to ignore things like angles of attach, club face, weight shift and so, your decision whether intently or accidental will have consequences good or bad on the outcome of the shot.  Romans 1-26-27 clearly states God's view on the subject.  Apart form that I pray God blessings on all the people I know gay and straight.  The final decision in Gods hands as will be the liars, drunks, pedophiles in and out of the church.  God in the final days judges all of us .  We have all sinned and come short of the glory of God and it is that simple.  I did not intend to preach but did not want my view to be perceived and some fanatical point of view. unless one feels God is subject to man's likes and dislikes and well....I won't go there.  My desire is not to offend anyone through malice rather just to make my position clear.  Now maybe we can talk golf.

I simply support the Christian view of the family and same sex relationship.

Did you read Rusty's response to your last post?  You can't say "THE" Christian view as if all Christians have the same view ... they clearly do not.

God in the final days judges all of us .  We have all sinned and come short of the glory of God and it is that simple.

Not sure it's quite so simple.  I had to look this up, but there are 21 or 22 "major" religions (secular/agnostic/athiest is accounted for - over 1 billion served) in this world (which apparently means over 500,000 worshippers) and something on the order of 6 billion people.  While Christianity is clearly the most popular religion out there, it still only accounts for about 1/3 of the population.  Almost 70% of the world doesn't even believe in the existence of your god.  So I assume that when you said "all of us" and "all have sinned" you are only referring to Christians?

"God in the final days judges all of us .  We have all sinned and come short of the glory of God and it is that simple."....I didn't want this to become a theological debate but it appears that one opinion prompts an analysis and a subsequent challenge.  I am sorry for any perceptional judgmental views on my part.  I can only present my views in support of the so called "chick fil a" issue.  I think different people can agree to disagree on most things.  My comments are clearly linked to the "Christian" Bible as best I can understand it.  I know there are differing points of view from agnostic to atheist and those that appear to be simply religious.  I did not write the bible!  I can only read it and share what I understand to be truth.  I don't apologize for that.  But I try not to treat people different because God knows I am not above His judgment.  If one believes the God created man then ALL men and women are subject to His judgment.  If one doesn't then one day all of us will know for certain what is truth and at that point our "honest views" will be irrelevant.  Kinda like some different cults in this country that believe they can have a dozen wives or worse.  They eventually find that no matter how sincere they believe they are right, they do not get the last word.  All of us (certainly myself) will have our test grade handed down "so to speak".  I don't know about your teachers, but mine cared little what I intended.  It was what I did that gave me the grade.  Kinda Corny illustration I admit.  But I will close my point in the chick fil a matter by saying God commands me to love all.  And I try my best with all of my imperfections.

"God in the final days judges all of us .  We have all sinned and come short of the glory of God and it is that simple."....I didn't want this to become a theological debate but it appears that one opinion prompts an analysis and a subsequent challenge.  I am sorry for any perceptional judgmental views on my part.  I can only present my views in support of the so called "chick fil a" issue.  I think different people can agree to disagree on most things.  My comments are clearly linked to the "Christian" Bible as best I can understand it.  I know there are differing points of view from agnostic to atheist and those that appear to be simply religious.  I did not write the bible!  I can only read it and share what I understand to be truth.  I don't apologize for that.  But I try not to treat people different because God knows I am not above His judgment.  If one believes the God created man then ALL men and women are subject to His judgment.  If one doesn't then one day all of us will know for certain what is truth and at that point our "honest views" will be irrelevant.  Kinda like some different cults in this country that believe they can have a dozen wives or worse.  They eventually find that no matter how sincere they believe they are right, they do not get the last word.  All of us (certainly myself) will have our test grade handed down "so to speak".  I don't know about your teachers, but mine cared little what I intended.  It was what I did that gave me the grade.  Kinda Corny illustration I admit.  But I will close my point in the chick fil a matter by saying God commands me to love all.  And I try my best with all of my imperfections.

Hold that thought I have bolded for you. Many Christians, myself among them, understand the Bible very differently. My denomination has a historical bias toward education. Pastors are required to have a Masters in Divinity. We are the church that started Harvard and Yale among others. The views are considered views. I only mention this because many of my fundamentalist friends believe that anyone who does not believe as they do must not have studied the Bible.

Thanks for being open minded and considerate enough to appreciate there are well informed, serious, scholarly, and differing opinions regarding what the Bible says.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

And again the entire debate boils down to one simple idea. Is being gay a choice? Christians sure seem to think it is. I go back to my question, unanswered. Do you choose to like women or do you just like them? Are you suppressing gay love to get into heaven? It's crazy to me how this doesn't make sense. You don't choose who you love, you just love them. You are wired that way.
  • Upvote 1

HiBore XLS 9.5* Driver

AMP 15* SF 3 Wood

R11 3 and 4 hybrid

AP1 712 5-GW

52* Gap Wedge

SV 56* Wedge

SV 60* Wedge

35" Melbourne Putter

Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by wolfsburg2

And again the entire debate boils down to one simple idea. Is being gay a choice? Christians sure seem to think it is.

I go back to my question, unanswered. Do you choose to like women or do you just like them? Are you suppressing gay love to get into heaven?

It's crazy to me how this doesn't make sense. You don't choose who you love, you just love them. You are wired that way.

"Christians" do not seem to think it is. Please stop using that word when you mean "some Christians" or "fundamentalist Christians." I'm sure you understand how millions of us don't wish to be frequently lumped into the vocal fringe. There are respectful alternatives to lumping everyone into one anti-gay group.

Note: This thread is 4282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!