IGNORED

Webb Simpson and Stewart Cink Show their Support for Chick-fil-A

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In case you didn't know, yesterday was dubbed national Chick-fil-A appreciation day by Mike Huckabee. Webb Simpson and Stewart Cink tweeted about how much they love the chain restaurant.  Which obviously has a double meaning since the Chick-fil-A's,Dan Cathy, publicly spoke out against same-sex unions two weeks ago.  Whatever their beliefs this was not a smart decision on Cink and Simpson's parts IMO. When you're a sports figure, a brand, better to keep this stuff to yourself and avoid the hassle.  Don't think it's a good idea to polarize yourself.  On the other hand maybe you'll see a Chick-fil-A logo on the side of their hats this week.

Here's an article on Webb

Quote:

Simpson took to Twitter in defense of Chick-fil-A on Tuesday night, dropping himself into the middle of the recent controversy that's swirled around the restaurant president's opposition to same-sex marraige.

Simpson, who describes himself as a "*sinner* loved by a savior" on his Twitter profile, tweeted out a few articles that supported the chain. Then, after a little blow-back, he followed up with a tweet of his own that tried really hard to seem apolitical:

It didn't work.

Simpson took some flack and seemed a little hurt by it: "I have nothing against anyone," Simpson tweeted. "No singling out any group or person. I jut love to discuss big issues with people and some people IMMEDIATELY...get so mad before coming up with their thoughts on an issue. Is it wrong to like a well thought out opinion of some current event??...I love good, deep convo with peeps I dont know. But why is it that a lot of people's first defense of an opinion useless anger?"

Webb, meet the Web. We get the feeling this might be Simpson's last foray into the politics of tweets, which would probably save his sponsors some indigestion.

Cink also received a lot of backlash for his Tweet:

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just lost some respect for Simpson. Not for his beliefs, which are his business. Not even for the public expression of his beliefs, which I find mildly annoying, just as I do when movie stars or singers feel it necessary to express their political views, as if anybody cares. But if he's going to take a stand on something like this, then he should take a stand, and not backpedal and pretend he's only talking about their damn milkshakes.

Originally Posted by brocks

I just lost some respect for Simpson. Not for his beliefs, which are his business. Not even for the public expression of his beliefs, which I find mildly annoying, just as I do when movie stars or singers feel it necessary to express their political views, as if anybody cares.

But if he's going to take a stand on something like this, then he should take a stand, and not backpedal and pretend he's only talking about their damn milkshakes.

I agree. Own it or STFU.

Dave :-)

It's a matter of life and death to me whether people prefer taco or sausage -- and I express this by buying chicken.

What a world.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

It's a matter of life and death to me whether people prefer taco or sausage -- and I express this by buying chicken.

And as Tiger said when Scott stole his caddie, "Hey, it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve."

• Upvote 1

The branding team over at chick-fil-a deserves some kind of raise for getting people to associate a better relationship with God by eating their fried chicken.

Constantine

Personally, I support the rights of anyone who wants to get married to do so.

I also love Chick-fil-A, and will continue to eat the hell out of their sandwiches, nuggets and waffle fries.

And I am in no way conflicted about it.

• Upvote 1

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

The branding team over at chick-fil-a deserves some kind of raise for getting people to associate a better relationship with God by eating their fried chicken.

Amen

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by bwdial

Personally, I support the rights of anyone who wants to get married to do so.

I also love Chick-fil-A, and will continue to eat the hell out of their sandwiches, nuggets and waffle fries.

And I am in no way conflicted about it.

Nor should you be.  It's just chicken.

Did any of these guys get involved with the tweets? One can only remember the Aflac Duck scandal of 2011...

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I had to stop following those guys on twitter along with Zach Johnson, Ben Crane and Bubba just because of all the incessant bible quotes. I'm sure they were all devastated, too.
  • Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Nor should you be.  It's just chicken.

Sometimes a chicken sandwich is more than just a chicken sandwich.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I really don't have a problem with what either has said. That's their opinion and it's fine by me if they want to express it. However, I agree that they opened themselves up for criticism and other attention that they might not want, and if it were me, regardless of my belief, I'd keep my mouth shut.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

neither apparently has a publicist or decent agent working for them.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Originally Posted by zeg

Sometimes a chicken sandwich is more than just a chicken sandwich.

I don't know.

I happen to be very (can there be degrees of this?) pro-gay marriage and think that anybody against it is wrong.  I even "shared" one of those popular meme's today equating the people rallying outside chick fila to people rallying for segregation in the 60's with the tagline "Imagine how foolish you will look in 40 years."  However, I know a lot of people who disagree with me, and that is fine.  Even some of my close friends.  I am annoyed by that, but am not going to stop being their friends.  If I give one of those friends a ride to the airport, I am "supporting" somebody who is anti gay marriage, one could say.  Is that all that different than buying chicken from a guy who is against gay marriage?  Or if I buy girl scout cookies from their daughters?

The general point being, if I'm going to make a big deal of this, then shouldn't I - to be fair - look into the beliefs of every human I associate with or every business that I patronize before doing so?  As far as I know, the owner of Carl's Jr. could be ex KKK, or the guy from the little pizza place around the corner a nazi.

I kind of liken it to everybody's "hate" of Tiger Woods for being a cheater - not like all those other pro golfers who are all good husbands.  But how do we know?  (Same is true for steroids in baseball in the 90's.  I can't really chastise McGwire, Sosa and Bonds as much as I'd like because I just don't know about all the rest of them)

Originally Posted by brocks

And as Tiger said when Scott stole his caddie, "Hey, it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve."

Well Adam and Steve were drinking out of the same water bottle at the British and we don't have to look too far in the past to find examples of fundamental types on the DL. Yeah you Larry Craig and Ted Haggard.

Dave :-)

This whole thing has gotten way out of whack.  It's completely media driven.  And many of the opponents of CFA are hypocrites saying they should be tolerant.....as long as you believe as they do.  There are many companies who's owners have similar beliefs to the Cathys but the people crying foul aren't boycotting those companies.  I would be classified as a Christian (although I rarely refer to myself in that way due to the world's stereotype of the fanatics who make a bad name for the rest of us) but I saw no need for the "support" of CFA yesterday.  I think it was unnecessary.

Webb and Stewart...they're gonna do what they wanna do and should expect to hear rebuttal due to their celeb status.  Frankly, I feel the whole thing is played.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 4244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!