IGNORED

GO FOR IT or Play it Smart?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Assuming you are a reachable distance into a Par 5, do you go for the green even when you know the smart play would be to lay up?

• Yes, I`d rather try to put it on the green and give myself a chance at eagle even if it brings a big number into play.
    • No, I`ll lay up to take a big number out of play and hope I can pitch and putt my way to birdie.
    • I`ve never been close enough to a par 5 off the tee to go for it in 2.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I tend to agree.  The experienced player usually takes a moment to at least consider his options.  He may still decide to have a go, but he thinks it over first.  The beginner or high handicapper often just pulls the longest club in his bag and whacks away at it without even thinking about the consequences.

By the way, that's one of the reasons why they are still high handicappers.

I think the reason they are high handicappers is because it doesn't matter whether they think about the consequences; they will still likely hit a really bad shot. As a high handicapper, you could have a professional caddy club you and tell you exactly where to aim, but it won't matter because you don't know where it's going. The experienced player actually has options to consider, whether to lay up or not, using different clubs and shot types, whether to go at the pin or not. The high capper can't control any of that except the club, and often ending up short and right can make you pull a lot of hybrids and fairway woods. Basically, the experienced player has all the options, while the high capper has all the consequences.

In the case of those players, though, I don't think there's much to discuss as far as reaching par 5s in 2.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me it depends on what you are trying to do.  Are you trying to win a tournament or are you practicing?

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

....... Basically, the experienced player has all the options, while the high capper has all the consequences.

In the case of those players, though, I don't think there's much to discuss as far as reaching par 5s in 2.

That is probably the best way to put it. :) I think as people get better, they do consider more strategy instinctively. I've experienced that, myself.

But there is also strategy in going for it... I don't get a lot of off course practice time, so missing and having to pitch it up.... I get my short game practice that way... hehehe.

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I tend to agree.  The experienced player usually takes a moment to at least consider his options.  He may still decide to have a go, but he thinks it over first.  The beginner or high handicapper often just pulls the longest club in his bag and whacks away at it without even thinking about the consequences.

By the way, that's one of the reasons why they are still high handicappers.

I think the reason they are high handicappers is because it doesn't matter whether they think about the consequences; they will still likely hit a really bad shot. As a high handicapper, you could have a professional caddy club you and tell you exactly where to aim, but it won't matter because you don't know where it's going. The experienced player actually has options to consider, whether to lay up or not, using different clubs and shot types, whether to go at the pin or not. The high capper can't control any of that except the club, and often ending up short and right can make you pull a lot of hybrids and fairway woods. Basically, the experienced player has all the options, while the high capper has all the consequences.

I see players jack up holes all of the time because of that "go for it" mentality.  I can play with just about any golfer who usually scores in high 90's or worse and pick 2 or 3 shots which, if he had made a better decision, could have shaved 3 or 4 or more strokes off the final score.  Part of the improvement in my game back when I was a bogey golfer came from a combination of working on my short game and not taking so many stupid chances.  It's not fun at first, especially when your buddies start questioning your manhood, but you get that back when you start beating them on a regular basis.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I agree that most high cappers aren`t going for many par 5s and usually don`t have much of an idea where the ball is going, but I think some of them would benefit from a good caddy.  I caddies a lot as a teenager and there were definitely some players who I felt I helped out.  One of the biggest things I notice is guys under clubbing themselves because they remember the one time they hit a club 150 yards and think they should always use that club when they are 150.  (or older guys who hit that club 150 ten years before).

I never liked overstating yardages when I caddied for multiple players, but worked with some guys who had no reluctance to quietly give different players different yardages on the same par 3.  Little tricks like failing to mention a hole is downhill or overemphasizing that it is uphill/into the wind can help offset a guys ego.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

9 times out of 10..if you convince a high handicapper to hit his favorite iron(it'll likely be 7-PW) and show them where to aim..they will hit a decent shot and stay out of trouble and build confidence all at the same time.  If it still turns out bad..they will be in much less trouble hitting a shorter iron than they would swinging and trying to hit it as far as they can.

I think most high cappers make mistakes on par 5's because they somehow end up trying to swing harder since the hole is longer.  I see that exact thing in each of my high handicap friends...they get on the tee and tense up so much trying to kill the ball you can actually see it happen.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

^^^

That was me last year..... hehehehe I think I can say I finally gave that up... :p

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Even if i was scratch i'm still going for it,and i'll blame myself for the consequences,i dont go for it because i'm a high handicap so cannot think strategy,i go for it because i believe i can pull it off,,i was playing in the 1990s so ive been around the block......lol.....i must be a bandit {H/C}

At 200 yards I am looking at an iron and there would be little chance to walk away unless there was some serious &$%* going on both sides of the green. At 225 I am still in green light mode but a little more conservative for sure.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator

Sometimes - in fact, most every time there's not really really bad trouble near your likely landing area, "going for it" IS playing it smart.

You score better from 20-40 yards than you do from 90-110, even if you're sometimes in a little trouble (rough, maybe even a reasonable bunker) from 25 yards.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The only reason I voted yes is because that is what happened yesterday. I hit a nice size drive and had 206 to the front edge of the green with the wind in my face and water in front/ front left of the green. I decided to go for it because I needed to get a 6 or less to break 50, unfortunately, I chunked it right into the water, haha. You win some, you lose some.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Originally Posted by iacas

Sometimes - in fact, most every time there's not really really bad trouble near your likely landing area, "going for it" IS playing it smart.

You score better from 20-40 yards than you do from 90-110, even if you're sometimes in a little trouble (rough, maybe even a reasonable bunker) from 25 yards.

100% agree...that is why I have been trying to encourage players to tell us what they would do when "going for it" is NOT the smart shot (aka, when there is serious trouble that they will likely find)

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I voted NO, but it depends what "big number in play" means. If my likely miss puts me in trouble, I lay up. If there is trouble but not likely in play for me, I go for it. If I can take one side out of play to keep trouble out of play, I'll give it a go. If trouble is everywhere, I lay back of the trouble but still as far as I can keeping short of trouble.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

After playing a tough course today.. i change my answer to no. The whole day i played it safe. What a chicken.

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

I answered lay up. Upon considering what I actually do, I usually go for it. I rarely have a chance to reach in 2. The few times I do the chance for glory wins out. If there is water in play the answer would be hell no, turning a birdie chance in to a bogey is just to painful.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I initially voted no but after 3 successive rounds with blown safe shots I'm starting to second guess my choice. I had no choice but to go for it after that.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 4263 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!