IGNORED

5SK Video Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[quote name="Lihu" url="/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/150#post_954521"] @iacas I noticed that your head is turned more behind the ball on the left frame, is this so you can make a longer turn with your body and not compromise the steady head condition?

It's because my neck doesn't twist 150 degrees yes. That backswing makes a point, but I never play with a turn that big.[/quote] Next obvious question - how big of a turn do you make?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Nice, thanks guys!!  Good to know that what I'm already working on with Stephan is helping to accomplish this.

Is the relationship between the head and hips in the good video what you guys refer to as secondary axis tilt?  I've been thinking about that lately, and hit a few shots at the range the other day while thinking about trying to keep my head back, and it seemed to work.

Yeah, your head goes forward in your backswing. And if it goes forward in the downswing (or even stays where it is), it'll be tough to hit the ball higher.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Is the relationship between the head and hips in the good video what you guys refer to as secondary axis tilt?  I've been thinking about that lately, and hit a few shots at the range the other day while thinking about trying to keep my head back, and it seemed to work.

Yeah, your head goes forward in your backswing. And if it goes forward in the downswing (or even stays where it is), it'll be tough to hit the ball higher.

@Golfingdad , yes the head being steady with the weight forward might feel like the head is "back". I have to feel something similar.

Make some practice swings at home with the left side of your head against an archway/doorway.

Next obvious question - how big of a turn do you make?

About 95 degrees with an 8 iron :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

[QUOTE name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/180#post_954999"] Next obvious question - how big of a turn do you make?[/QUOTE] About 95 degrees with an 8 iron :-) [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/92807/] [/URL]

How much more or less is it as you go up or down an iron? I feel like I can only go around 80* comfortably with my 6 iron. I've only been using my 6 iron focusing on torso rotation and taking slow careful swings so as to not break anything in my house.

Christian

How much more or less is it as you go up or down an iron? I feel like I can only go around 80* comfortably with my 6 iron. I've only been using my 6 iron focusing on torso rotation and taking slow careful swings so as to not break anything in my house.

There is no "rule" for how much for each club. For a mid iron, we generally see good players turned about 80-90 degrees by A3 (left arm parallel to the ground on the backswing).  Shorter clubs might be a little bit less, longer clubs will be more.

Mini tour player on the left, PGA Tour player on the right. With your swing I don't think it's a flexibility or ability thing, it's more of a "doing" thing. Meaning you just have to put in the reps and do it, feel like you are turned 90 degrees by A3

Mike McLoughlin

I have been working on my flexibility and strength all winter to get to that finish position.  It definitely was a weakness of mine and I am feeling improvement.  I think it will help along with drills.  BUT, right now I am working on a different part of my swing (a la the video in post 172 of this thread) and I want to be a stupid monkey some day.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

With your swing I don't think it's a flexibility or ability thing, it's more of a "doing" thing. Meaning you just have to put in the reps and do it, feel like you are turned 90 degrees by A3

I guess I'm not doing a good rotation then because if I continue to turn past the 80* I either feel uncomfortable or to try and not feel uncomfortable, I feel discombobulated.

Christian

I guess I'm not doing a good rotation then because if I continue to turn past the 80* I either feel uncomfortable or to try and not feel uncomfortable, I feel discombobulated.

Yeah even if it feels crappy, stick with it. Very good chance you'll start to hit it better. Grant Waite told me that when he was making his swing changes, he made sure the pictured changed even though it felt horrible for 3 months. Said he would make some swings and it felt like he wouldn't be able to make contact. This is coming from a guy who was playing on the PGA tour at the time.

So "embrace" it feeling crappy and make the picture change.

Mike McLoughlin

[QUOTE name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/180#post_955865"]   I guess I'm not doing a good rotation then because if I continue to turn past the 80* I either feel uncomfortable or to try and not feel uncomfortable, I feel discombobulated.  [/QUOTE] Yeah even if it feels crappy, stick with it. Very good chance you'll start to hit it better. Grant Waite told me that when he was making his swing changes, he made sure the pictured changed even though it felt horrible for 3 months. Said he would make some swings and it felt like he wouldn't be able to make contact. This is coming from a guy who was playing on the PGA tour at the time.  So "embrace" it feeling crappy and make the picture change.

Sounds good. I'm hoping after a while it won't feel crappy and will start feeling natural, although I imagine that would only likely happen if I become more flexible.

Christian

[QUOTE name="mvmac" url="/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/180#post_955056"]   [CONTENTEMBED=/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/180#post_955046 layout=inline]With your swing I don't think it's a flexibility or ability thing, it's more of a "doing" thing. Meaning you just have to put in the reps and do it, feel like you are turned 90 degrees by A3[/CONTENTEMBED] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/92809/] [/URL] [/QUOTE] I guess I'm not doing a good rotation then because if I continue to turn past the 80* I either feel uncomfortable or to try and not feel uncomfortable, I feel discombobulated.

Repeat and ignore the feeling. Trust what you are doing and it will come around. Past experience with your swing makes you feel this way. Increase the drills until it's second nature. Plus do research to make you feel comfortable with the changes affirming you are making the right changes.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

[quote name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/180_10#post_955865"][QUOTE name="mvmac" url="/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/180#post_955056"]   [CONTENTEMBED=/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/180#post_955046 layout=inline]With your swing I don't think it's a flexibility or ability thing, it's more of a "doing" thing. Meaning you just have to put in the reps and do it, feel like you are turned 90 degrees by A3[/CONTENTEMBED] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/92809/] [/URL] [/QUOTE] I guess I'm not doing a good rotation then because if I continue to turn past the 80* I either feel uncomfortable or to try and not feel uncomfortable, I feel discombobulated.

Repeat and ignore the feeling. Trust what you are doing and it will come around. Past experience with your swing makes you feel this way. Increase the drills until it's second nature. Plus do research to make you feel comfortable with the changes affirming you are making the right changes.[/quote] Yeah, I'm hoping that as I do it more, rotating past 80* will feel less uncomfortable as presumably my flexibility increases.

Christian

Yeah, I'm hoping that as I do it more, rotating past 80* will feel less uncomfortable as presumably my flexibility increases.

@RFKFREAK ,

@Foursum Golf posted a really good drill to try that will help with your shoulder turn feeling and flexibility.  Basically as follows:

1.  Get into your setup stance with a 6-iron.

2. Keeping your body angle and alignment, place the 6-iron across your shoulders with your palms on the club facing forward.

3. Rotate your shoulders and hips as you would in your normal back swing and hold for 15 seconds.  I focus on where the club is pointing and try to stretch it past a 90 degree turn.

4. Rotate forward as in your down swing to the equal position the opposite way and hold for 15 seconds.  In this part, I also shift my weight and hips into impact position and point the club only the same line as step 3..

5. I added a next step.  Rotate to your finish position (which is a limiter for me) and hold for 15 seconds.  In this part, I focus on raising my belt level, having my chest aiming up and rotating my shoulders as far        counter clockwise as I can.  Basically mvmac's position in post 179 in this thread.

I have been doing this drill since @Foursum Golf posted it at least 3 times a week.  I do three to five reps and have it as part of my workout warm up.  It really has strengthened my back and made my shoulder turn and finish more comfortable.  If it ever stops snowing, I will use this to loosen up before playing.

Give it a try.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

Yeah, I'm hoping that as I do it more, rotating past 80* will feel less uncomfortable as presumably my flexibility increases.

@RFKFREAK ,

@Foursum Golf posted a really good drill to try that will help with your shoulder turn feeling and flexibility.  Basically as follows:

1.  Get into your setup stance with a 6-iron.

2. Keeping your body angle and alignment, place the 6-iron across your shoulders with your palms on the club facing forward.

3. Rotate your shoulders and hips as you would in your normal back swing and hold for 15 seconds.  I focus on where the club is pointing and try to stretch it past a 90 degree turn.

4. Rotate forward as in your down swing to the equal position the opposite way and hold for 15 seconds.  In this part, I also shift my weight and hips into impact position and point the club only the same line as step 3..

5. I added a next step.  Rotate to your finish position (which is a limiter for me) and hold for 15 seconds.  In this part, I focus on raising my belt level, having my chest aiming up and rotating my shoulders as far        counter clockwise as I can.  Basically mvmac's position in post 179 in this thread.

I have been doing this drill since @Foursum Golf posted it at least 3 times a week.  I do three to five reps and have it as part of my workout warm up.  It really has strengthened my back and made my shoulder turn and finish more comfortable.  If it ever stops snowing, I will use this to loosen up before playing.

Give it a try.

Certainly will!

I like that to me it feels like a lesson plan.

I hear you about the snow.  I'd just like to be able to hit some balls into my net.  Hopefully by the time the snow melts I'll be turning at least 90* - haha.

Christian

Certainly will!

I hear you about the snow.  I'd just like to be able to hit some balls into my net.  Hopefully by the time the snow melts I'll be turning at least 90* - haha.

Best of luck.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

The last of the four videos @mvmac and I filmed in San Diego. Enjoy!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

Certainly will!

Best of luck.

Wow, I just did this.

I feel it on my pecs and triceps.

Christian

Wow, I just did this.

I feel it on my pecs and triceps.

When I get that stretch with my arms, like in the right video. I really feel like my right side is being rotated under more and the clubhead is being sent on a wide arch. I can't take full swings now indoors because my wedge has wakked the ceiling once or twice. So, this drill will be for out doors only.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!