IGNORED

2012 NFL Season

jamo
Note: This thread is 4143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With all the talk of "can a running QB win it all etc......Cant the same question be asked of "Game Manager" type QB's? Of all the SB winning QB's only one was a game manager

Super Bowl XXXV - Trent Dilfer

The rest were pretty darn elite right? The 49ers are a prime example of the "shift" that Im seeing as Alex Smith was benched for Colin Kaepernick

And we still have yet to define what a running QB is. I said Steve Young, but others dont agree. John Elway had only 40 less career rushing yards than Donovan Mcnabb but Im sure he dosen't qualify either right?

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I don't agree with this.  If anything, the running QB is retro.  Cam Newton broke the rush TD record for a QB last year breaking Steve Grogan's record from 1976.  Many QBs ran back then.  The QB draw was a common play.  The Pocket passer and evolution of the passing game is a later development.

Here is something to consider...  A decade ago... QB's barely even ran the 40 at the combine.  Now it is becoming common practice that QB's run, bench, vertical and broad jump.  Why? Personally, I think guys are just better all around athletes.  Just like in golf - guys are working out more - the same can be said for any major sport.  It is a year long commitment now in the gym.  And all have nutrition plans and supplements that they digest to help them recover faster and gain muscle and strength.

Look at the 2012 NFL combine results for QB's... It used to be common that if a guy ran a sub 5.0 in the 40yd dash, he was a pretty quick QB.  Not so much today... That would be considered slow.

2012 NFL Combine Results: Quarterbacks

Name School 40-Yard
Dash
Bench
press
Vertical
jump
20-yard
shuttle
60-yard
shuttle
Broad
jump
Robert Griffin Baylor 4.41 39.0 10'0
Russell Wilson Wisconsin 4.55 34.0 4.09 6.97 9'10
Jordan Jefferson Louisiana State 4.65 14 36.5 4.06 6.81 9'8
Andrew Luck Stanford 4.67 36.0 4.28 6.80 10'4
Aaron Corp Richmond 4.72 31.5 4.30 7.03 8'10
Jacory Harris Miami 4.72 37.0 4.40 7.10 9'5
Austin Davis Southern Miss 4.76 31.0 4.11 6.73 9'1
Chandler Harnish Northern Illinois 4.76 32.5 4.15 6.78 9'4
Darron Thomas Oregon 4.80 14 36.0 4.28 7.17 10'1
Case Keenum Houston 4.82 32.5 8'7
Ryan Lindley San Diego State 4.90 29.5 4.45 7.52 9'0
Kirk Cousins Michigan State 4.93 28.5 4.50 7.05 9'1
Kellen Moore Boise State 4.94 27.0 4.56 7.41 8'3
Nick Foles Arizona 5.14 30.5 9'4
  • Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There is no question that QBs are becoming more athletic but I'm not sure the zone read offense will take off in the NFL. I think it might end up more like the wildcat in the fact that defenses will figure it out and shut it down. So far it seems to be working for some teams but I'm not sure about the longevity of these types of QBs. I mean the Redskins look much improved until RG3 breaks a collar bone or blows out a knee. The other big thing is in college it works well because the better QBs that run it are generally one of the best athletes on the field and get away from most LBs. However in the NFL they aren't just running past people and the more hits the more chance they have of a bad injury.  This is why IMO the pro style offense will never go away and I do think RG3 can run a pro style offense no problem.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

It's OK Ron.  Everything is cyclical in sports with old ideas being used again because current Offenses and Defenses won't be planning for it.  The 46 defense was excellent at stopping pocket QBs, but was figured out.  Fast QBs like RGIII can attack larger defenses that are built more to stop the run.  Things will keep cycling on both sides of the ball, which is great for the fans.

I also think that all the players are getting more athletic because of better training and nutrition.  Guys like Vince Wilfork look plump, but I think he could beat any of us in a 10 yard sprint.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It's OK Ron.  Everything is cyclical in sports with old ideas being used again because current Offenses and Defenses won't be planning for it.  The 46 defense was excellent at stopping pocket QBs, but was figured out.  Fast QBs like RGIII can attack larger defenses that are built more to stop the run.  Things will keep cycling on both sides of the ball, which is great for the fans.

I also think that all the players are getting more athletic because of better training and nutrition.  Guys like Vince Wilfork look plump, but I think he could beat any of us in a 10 yard sprint.

Yeah, I've always heard that the NFL is a copy cat league and now I believe it.

Vince Wilfork is a beast of a human being. I saw him line up last night and push guys O-Linemen deep into the Niner backfield. Hell of a game that was by the way. So thankful we didnt completely choke and give that game away.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Yeah, the PATs gave that game away with the turnovers.  It did have a playoff feel though, didn't it.

Scott

My Swing Thread

It did have a playoff feel though, didn't it.

Big time. I'm guessing we'll see the rematch in the Super Bowl.

Constantine

We have been talking about the fast mobile quarterback who can through the ball accurately for 30 years now. QB's might be getting more accurate but the number of guys who can run 4.5s AND be good passing QBs is pretty small and you rarely have more than 1 or 2 in the league at the same time. Given the choice between an good runner who is a poor passer and a good passer who is a poor runner, you always pick the better passer.

Eventually RGIII will have to learn to be more selective in his runs (See someone like McNabb) if he wants to last. Otherwise he will be a Vick type QB who is awesome for 10 games a year (well Vick was awesome back in the day....) but who misses a couple of games every year. I expect that RGIII to make that evolution. I expect the designed runs for RGIII will drop a bit but he will still be able to rack up the yards when the play breaks down.

Originally Posted by clubchamp

There is no question that QBs are becoming more athletic but I'm not sure the zone read offense will take off in the NFL. I think it might end up more like the wildcat in the fact that defenses will figure it out and shut it down. So far it seems to be working for some teams but I'm not sure about the longevity of these types of QBs. I mean the Redskins look much improved until RG3 breaks a collar bone or blows out a knee. The other big thing is in college it works well because the better QBs that run it are generally one of the best athletes on the field and get away from most LBs. However in the NFL they aren't just running past people and the more hits the more chance they have of a bad injury.  This is why IMO the pro style offense will never go away and I do think RG3 can run a pro style offense no problem.

Sheeesh. I'm sooo glad I played golf instead of watching the Gmen get embarassed. It sounded like Coughlin did not have any confidence in the run without Bradshaw, and when the Giants don't run the ball, Eli does most of the running - for his life.

dak4n6

Yeah, the PATs gave that game away with the turnovers.  It did have a playoff feel though, didn't it.

Crazy game. One of the best I've watched all year despite the Pats losing.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

typical patsy fan speak - nobody could be better than us so we only lose when we *give* it to the other team :-P

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

typical patsy fan speak - nobody could be better than us so we only lose when we *give* it to the other team :-P

The 49ers did plenty of "giving" as well in the form of TONS of yardage. I was not a neutral observer but a few friends of mine watching were and most of them said it was one of the best games they watched all year. Back and forth, all around a great game. The impressive team this weekend was the Falcons. I thought the Giants when they needed to win would show up. I thought wrong.

• Upvote 1

Michael

How's 8-6 feel? ;-)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

How's 8-6 feel?

As a Giants fan I'd say for my team it sucks.

But it is still better than the 7-7 we were at this point last year.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

How's 8-6 feel? ;-)

It really doesn't hurt since I have accepted the fact that the g-men don't believe in 1st round byes. For us, it's not over until it's over.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Quote:
typical patsy fan speak - nobody could be better than us so we only lose when we *give* it to the other team b2_tongue.gif

When a team that was +24 on turnovers goes -3 on turnovers for a game, it is a give away.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Well the Rams seem to be back to "normal." Maybe the world isn't ending after all.

• Upvote 1

"There are two things that don't last very long...dogs that chase cars, and golfers who putt for pars."

Originally Posted by JasonK88S

Well the Rams seem to be back to "normal." Maybe the world isn't ending after all.

Hahhah I was thinking the same thing with the way the Browns forgot to show up on Sunday.  Looks like the polar shift is no longer in play?

Note: This thread is 4143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!