IGNORED

Playing a round. Shorts or Pants?

Goonsidious
Note: This thread is 4187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Shorts or Pants

• 100% Shorts
    • 100% Pants
    • Depends on weather

I wouldn't wear jeans or a wife beater but if the course allows it then I don't really care what others wear.

My club is a bit stuffy on the required attire (collared shirts only - must be tucked in, golf shorts or long pants, no cargo shorts) but most people who pay to belong to such a club are regular golfers who don't mind wearing proper golf attire.   I don't expect a once a year golfer to go out and buy golf attire if the course they are playing on doesn't require it.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

That's a very archaic belief.  I live in shorts.  I haven't even taken a pair of slacks out of the closet since we moved down here, and unless we go back to the States during winter sometime, I likely never will.

I'm just funnin' a bit with the shorts-are-for-children thing.  I wear shorts most of the time in the Summer, but there is some strange idea that I just can't escape that reminds me of something I must have seen when I was a kid...something about a schoolboy who turned a certain age and became "old enough to wear long pants."  Weird? Yes.

I played a semi-private course that required long pants, but never a pure public course. And I'd imagine that a muni course wouldnt' be able to strictly enforce a dress code anyway.

TaylorMade Burner Driver (2009) 9.5 degree, Stiff
TaylorMade R7 3 Wood, Stiff 
Nike VR Pro Hybrid 21 degree, Stiff 
Mizuno MX23 4-PW, Rifle shafts, Reg
Nike SV 52-56-60 wedges (ILLEGAL!)
NeverCompromise mallet putter (OLD)
Srixon AD-333 or Titleist Pro V1

Originally Posted by VealCutlet

I played a semi-private course that required long pants, but never a pure public course. And I'd imagine that a muni course wouldnt' be able to strictly enforce a dress code anyway.

My guess is few can afford to turn people away.

Dave :-)

Ok, we're comparing homes? Alright, i'll bite FOURPUTT. Moved here this year, on a golf course.

Probably why I'm a single handicapper, and you're not!! No jeans on this course....

Turn your computer upside-down!!

Originally Posted by jimdandy

Ok, we're comparing homes? Alright, i'll bite FOURPUTT. Moved here this year, on a golf course.

Probably why I'm a single handicapper, and you're not!! No jeans on this course....

Turn your computer upside-down!!

He was just pointing out that just because he might wear jeans on a golf course, or know of courses that allow jeans, and/or not mind if others wear jeans, that he is not, as you concluded, white trash.

Nobody called you white trash (as far as I know), so nothing for you to defend.

Are you his mother? lol

Were I you I'd tread rather more lightly than you have been.  The guy that runs this site doesn't take kindly to newbs who are too full of themselves.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I laugh at the posers who play in dress slacks on a hot summer day. They're pretty easy to spot and differentiate from golfers who wear long long pants because they never wear shorts on or off the course.

My course doesn't allow jeans, but I give jeans wearers a pass when I see them on other courses.  They're usually blue-collar types who where jeans all the time.  They're definitely not posers...  I know a few senior golfers who never wear shorts to the course either because they don't own any shorts!!!   I give old golfers and really fat people a pass for not wearing shorts too....because they don't wear shorts either.....

....the posers are easy to single out from the rest.   And yea....they make me chuckle.  LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Were I you I'd tread rather more lightly than you have been.  The guy that runs this site doesn't take kindly to newbs who are too full of themselves.

Im a happy-go-lucky guy. I love this site. I even like you! Don't take everything so serious, like showing where you live?? On his site, i care about GOLF! Not "rate my home"

If you take a close look at one of the beauty courses in America...Saratoga National....my backyard look a lot like theirs!

Quote:

Im a happy-go-lucky guy. I love this site. I even like you! Don't take everything so serious, like showing where you live?? On his site, i care about GOLF! Not "rate my home"

If you take a close look at one of the beauty courses in America...Saratoga National....my backyard look a lot like theirs!

You lowered the discussion to mudslinging with the white trash comment, knowing absolutely nothing about me.  And by the way, calling someone white trash isn't "happy-go lucky".  It's nasty, bigoted, and mean spirited.

• Upvote 1

Rick

I play in shorts 90% of the time here in California just depends on the weather. Thanks to some comments on this site I stopped wearing my cargo shorts while golfing. Now some people have a problem with pants????? Whats next, Driver Headcovers make you soft???? My company has a Charity Scramble coming up at Tilden Park in the Berkley hills where it gets pretty chilly in the AM. I will either break out my ashworth Khakis or maybe pull the trigger on some Nike Dri Fit pants/slacks from budget golf.

Take That Golf Course Fashion Police

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

I play in shorts 90% of the time here in California just depends on the weather. Thanks to some comments on this site I stopped wearing my cargo shorts while golfing. Now some people have a problem with pants????? Whats next, Driver Headcovers make you soft???? My company has a Charity Scramble coming up at Tilden Park in the Berkley hills where it gets pretty chilly in the AM. I will either break out my ashworth Khakis or maybe pull the trigger on some Nike Dri Fit pants/slacks from budget golf.

Take That Golf Course Fashion Police

Slacks or shorts is a personal choice, most often dictated by weather.  As long as what you choose lies within the parameters of the course dress code, then you can wear what you want.  Anyone doesn't like it, that's his problem, not yours.  Judging someone by the clothes he wears to play golf is incomprehensible to me.

And wearing slacks doesn't make one a "poser".  That's just silliness.  I know a few guys who always wear slacks.  I'm not comfortable with them in hot weather, but I can't imagine why I'd have an issue with some else wearing them.

• Upvote 1

Rick

I've been thinking about this a bit lately. My waste size has gone up in the last few years and I need to buy new shorts. I have been watching a lot of golf lately though and now I just kind of feel like a slob wearing shorts (I know I shouldn't because most people do). So I have been thinking about switching to slacks at least when weather permits.

Another reason the pros wear slacks is because they're in the sun all day every day.  They wear slacks and button their shirt up to the top button to cover as much skin as possible, in addition to wearing a hat and of course, sunscreen.  For that reason, it's not a bad idea for anyone else, either.

Originally Posted by wadesworld

Another reason the pros wear slacks is because they're in the sun all day every day.  They wear slacks and button their shirt up to the top button to cover as much skin as possible, in addition to wearing a hat and of course, sunscreen.  For that reason, it's not a bad idea for anyone else, either.

Aside from Bubba, not too many guys are doing the top button. The real reason they wear slacks is that it is a condition of competition in order to keep up the professionalism of the tour. Caddies are now allowed to wear shorts and I know that several pros would wear shorts given the opportunity. Many pros, when operating outside of their Tours, do wear shorts to play golf.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Pssst . . . I think those chairs are plastic.

Not even forged plastic at that.

The two of you who are comparing the sizes of your deck chairs, uhhh, stop.

And jimdandy, you can't link to private images from your email account or something. Duh. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Any sort of dress code on a golf course is based on one thing only:  snobbery. WE don't want that RIFF-RAFF playing on OUR course. Doesn't matter if you try to couch it in some more respectable language - tradition, respect for the game, etc... - it's pure snobbishness and nothing else.

Having said that, I will reiterate that I kowtow to the snobbery to some extent, much like most of the people on this forum, in that I will wear khaki shorts and a collared golf shirt even when I'm playing on a muni or low-end course where I could get away with wearing a tee shirt and some nylon cargo shorts.

If the weather is too cool to wear just a short sleeve shirt but too warm to wear a jacket, I'll probably still be out there in shorts, but if I wear pants, I'll wear khaki pants rather than jeans.  Pockets on pants are larger and looser than those in jeans and it's just not comfortable to try to shove a couple balls, tees, ball mark repair tool, etc... into jean pockets.  If I'm playing at a muni course and I need a jacket because of the temperatures and/or wind, I might wear jeans, since I can put my usual golf stuff into the pockets of my jacket or windshirt insted of my pants.

Most of the guys I see wearing pants on a course on a hot day do not appear to be doing it for any reason other than the image - most of them are sporting darker tans than my slightly darker-than-pale tan on their face, neck and arms, so staying out of the sun doesn't seem to be the reason.  Most of them also seem to have a superior attitude or haughty air to them.  I'm not a fan of snobs and elitists and those who try to project a superior image - if you don't like that, then sue me.

PGA players wear pants not out of choice but because it's mandated by the rules.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Note: This thread is 4187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!