IGNORED

Rory McIlroy signs with Nike.. Rory and Tiger Film Commercial Together (Updates)

KrazyTrain18
Note: This thread is 4134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It will be interesting to see how Rory performs in 2013..  I would be surprised if he won 1 tourney..  Clothing doesn't all fit the same way, Shoes don't all feel the same, and Clubs sure as hell don't all perform the same way.. I'm still adjusting to my switch from Callaway blades to Adams.. Even when I was in the test simulator, I was a little surprised how much difference in comfort I had from one manufacturer from another.. I wish Rory the best of luck, but I have to wonder if he's becoming a $$ chaser, and will that end up effecting his game, and changing his career.. A 10 year contract is a long time, just ask Michael Vick and the Eagles.. LOL

Originally Posted by x129

Both Titleist and Rory have said they are parting ways. Everyone is assuming he is switching to Nike.

Assuming?

Well, if there is any doubt about the contract, Rory said in Dubai today - he will be switching clubs now...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by ThominOH

It will be interesting to see how Rory performs in 2013..  I would be surprised if he won 1 tourney..

I'll take that bet.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm not a golf historian.  How many examples are there of guys switching clubs year-over-year and not missing a beat?  There has to be some.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I'm not a golf historian.  How many examples are there of guys switching clubs year-over-year and not missing a beat?  There has to be some.

I'd be interested to see the stats on those changing clubs at 22 years old, and those at 32 years old....

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I'd be interested to see the stats on those changing clubs at 22 years old, and those at 32 years old....

Bear in mind too that a lot of the stories of old involved players switching from one type of club to another type, as well. Like MB to CB, etc. The sciences and measurements (like launch monitors) were not nearly as good back in the day either, so if a player can get a set that they like the look of, they can pretty much dial in the performance to match their old set, too, these days.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Some of the articles I've read indicate that Nike will create clubs for him that are very close (he can't say identical) to his Titleist clubs to ease his transition.  The last thing Nike wants is to have Rory play terrible because he switched to their clubs.  I'd guess they have all the Titleist specs, head weight, loft, grind, bounce etc and will put a set together that will feel pretty comfortable for him.  Nike hasn't announced any new forged irons for 2013 so maybe they will wait and release a new set for 2014 using Rory's specs.

What may affect Rory more than the new sticks is the news of his big contract with Nike.  He seems to be a pretty humble kid that doesn't like to be the center of attention.  He's been in the headlines for his play in 2012 but in 2013 he's going to spend a lot of time answering questions about Tiger (now that their on Team Nike) as well as the pressure of living up to a $250M endorsement deal.  Rory has achieved superstar status so he's going to be a bigger target for the media idiots who will waste no time placing him under the microscope.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by iacas

Bear in mind too that a lot of the stories of old involved players switching from one type of club to another type, as well. Like MB to CB, etc. The sciences and measurements (like launch monitors) were not nearly as good back in the day either, so if a player can get a set that they like the look of, they can pretty much dial in the performance to match their old set, too, these days.

Good point - I remember Colin Montgomery having a tough time going from MB's to Callaway Cavities (if memory serves), and he was not exactly young when he switched.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Good point - I remember Colin Montgomery having a tough time going from MB's to Callaway Cavities (if memory serves), and he was not exactly young when he switched.

I think Payne Stewart and perhaps Tom Watson are the most famous examples. I'm certain of the first (that he switched and it didn't go very well), less so on the second.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Not missing a beat?  Happens every year.  Just off the top of my head, switching clubs but sticking with same company:  Rory switched to the 913 Titleist driver and 712 MB irons this year, also a different style of putter I think.  Basically the entire TaylorMade staff went to the RBZ or R11s driver, same with Titleist guys and 913 driver towards the end of the season, Lee Westwood put the i20 irons in the bag, Luke Donald went from MP63 to MP59 then to MP64 irons.

Example of another company?  Bo Van Pelt had 14 different clubs this year, Tommy Gainey had a good year with Callaway (Adams in '11)

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

I think Payne Stewart and perhaps Tom Watson are the most famous examples. I'm certain of the first (that he switched and it didn't go very well), less so on the second.

Yeah I think with Payne it was going to Top Flite, new ball and going from forged MB to cast, cavity back iron.  I also think back then there was a real difference between certain OEMs, even at the tour level.  Now they're all at about the same level and like you said earlier, using launch monitors to get the numbers right.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Rory's coach thinks it will all be good, link to the relevant article from The Guardian: -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/nov/26/rory-mcilroy-changing-equipment

We'll see. Strange season from Rory really, two fairly long stretches where he looked to be bossing the world game and an early summer period where he looked like he'd struggle in the local monthly medal.

I was hoping Rory would go with something of a different color.  Red is my least favorite color, but so much of Nike's product line (including apparel) has some type of red accents because it's Tiger's signature color.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Tiger's back with Rolex--TAG dropped him.

If Nike signs him  (only company with that kind of ca$h to just do it,) AP, Banco Santander, and Jumierah would have to fight for bag space...  Of course, Nike pays big so that they don't have to compete with the other sponsors...

I don't think the commercial was for the American Express card...or any other card, for that matter...

Originally Posted by colin007

rory will be absolutely fine.  this will not affect him in the least.

Exactly................sheesh

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

• 1 month later...

Well they should unveil him in Nike swag in 2 weeks just before his season starting event in Abu Dhabi.  Nike golf unveiled Stanley and Watney a few days ago before the Tournament of Champions, funny to see Watney in a flat brim ! Also both were hitting Coverts and rolling the Method 001.  I think McIlroy will initaially start with his Scotty and change sooner than later.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Note: This thread is 4134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!