• Announcements

    • iacas

      GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

      Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lville lefty

Would Snedeker Trade FEC for Green Jacket?

0  

  1. 1. Would Snedeker Trade the Fed Ex Cup for a Green Jacket?

    • Yes
      18
    • No
      10

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

47 posts in this topic

There was a thread posted last month discussing the importance of the Fed Ex Cup versus the majors.  Seems most felt the FEC would never equal or surpass the majors in importance.  So, here's the question, If Snedeker was asked,  "would you trade the FEC for a Green Jacket" how would he answer?

As a side note, I love Snedekers pace of play.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Yes - he has plenty of money.

But a green jacket is priceless ... and it brings in money.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Green Jack in a heartbeat.  Winning a tournament with 30 of the best players is good but it is no where near as impressive as winning one with ~100 (after you take out amateurs, winners past primes,...).  Besides the green jacket is probably worth more money long term.

Originally Posted by lville lefty

There was a thread posted last month discussing the importance of the Fed Ex Cup versus the majors.  Seems most felt the FEC would never equal or surpass the majors in importance.  So, here's the question, If Snedeker was asked,  "would you trade the FEC for a Green Jacket" how would he answer?

As a side note, I love Snedekers pace of play.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't imagine that any PGA Tour player would rather have the Fedex title than a Master's win. Can anyone name the Fedex winners for the last 5 years? Can you name the Master's winner's over the same time period?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that a Masters is better for a variety of reasons including return invites to Augusta

Originally Posted by MSchott

I can't imagine that any PGA Tour player would rather have the Fedex title than a Master's win. Can anyone name the Fedex winners for the last 5 years? Can you name the Master's winner's over the same time period?

Off the top of my head, I think after seeing the telecast yesterday, I know all the Fed Ex, but may miss a Masters or two

FEC

2007 & 2009 Tiger

2008 Vijay

2010 JF

2011 Bill Haas

Masters

2012 Bubba

2011 C Swartzel

2010 Phil?

2009 Angel Cabrerra

2008 Trevor Immelman?

2007 Zach Johnson?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still reckon $11.4 million goes quite a long way.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If he was short on cash the $11+M will help but in terms of his golf legacy the win yesterday won't look much different than his other PGA Tour wins.   I'd guess initially a pro athlete wants the cash but once their established it becomes more about leaving their mark in the sport.   Maybe in the future the FEC will gain in status and if not the 5th Major, become something close to it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

I still reckon $11.4 million goes quite a long way.

No kidding. How could anyone say with certainty that someone would give up $10 million dollars? Do players like Snedeker and Dufner seem consumed by the majors? What does one major do for a person's legacy? Are Steve Jones or Todd Hamilton thought of more highly than Lee Westwood or Adam Scott?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by sean_miller

No kidding. How could anyone say with certainty that someone would give up $10 million dollars? Do players like Snedeker and Dufner seem consumed by the majors? What does one major do for a person's legacy? Are Steve Jones or Todd Hamilton thought of more highly than Lee Westwood or Adam Scott?

No major removes you're Hall of Fame chances, if that means anything to these guys.

Without his Master's win, Freddy doesn't get into Hall of Fame - barely got in anyway with 51% of vote (below the minimum % - but he was the highest guy above 50%).

$10 mil - Masters win nets you  $1m and exhibitions and endorsements to make a lot of that $10 mil back. Besides, Snedeker made $5 mil just this year...

So do you want to be Bubba or Snedeker?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

No kidding. How could anyone say with certainty that someone would give up $10 million dollars? Do players like Snedeker and Dufner seem consumed by the majors? What does one major do for a person's legacy? Are Steve Jones or Todd Hamilton thought of more highly than Lee Westwood or Adam Scott?

No major removes you're Hall of Fame chances, if that means anything to these guys.

Without his Master's win, Freddy doesn't get into Hall of Fame - barely got in anyway with 51% of vote (below the minimum % - but he was the highest guy above 50%).

$10 mil - Masters win nets you  $1m and exhibitions and endorsements to make a lot of that $10 mil back. Besides, Snedeker made $5 mil just this year...

So do you want to be Bubba or Snedeker?

I guess it doesn't matter which I'd want, but as a person I'd lean toward Sneds. The OP was asking if Snedeker would trade a green jacket for the FedEx win. He's nowhere near HOF level yet, even though he's about to play in his first Ryder Cup and looks to be rounding into form in his career. I voted "no" because it's closer to "I don't know" which is my real answer. Until Brandt logs onto this site and says otherwise, I'll stick with "I don't know".

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really, really hard to say no to $10,000,000.  Sneds may have made $5mil this year, but that's half a career's worth of cash for most guys that see the tour.  To turn away double that amount in a day, based on a potential for "legacy" seems pretty iffy.

So, how much is the green jacket worth?  Let's say that Snedeker is on par with Mike Weir:  he's had a phenomenal year, he'll have an above average year next year, and then maybe fade into 115th in the world obscurity.  (Just for argument sake--I'm not commenting on Sned's potential.)  So how much is that green jacket going to be worth to that golfer?  He'll get a spike in endorsements for a couple of years, and some appearance fees.  He'll get to play in the Grand Slam, which will be worth a few hundred thousand.  He'll get to come back to the Masters for the next 25 years, probably make the cut (in a weak field) 2/3 of the time, and cash at least one decent paycheck every year that he wouldn't have access to without the green jacket.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, y'a'll have made persuasive points. Golfers are independent contractors - there are no guarantees.

Upon further review, I think his wife would ask him to take the $10 mil, and he would do so.

He does have a primary responsibility towards his wife and daughter, and his family.

He hopes for the Masters Win.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-troop

It's really, really hard to say no to $10,000,000.  Sneds may have made $5mil this year, but that's half a career's worth of cash for most guys that see the tour.  To turn away double that amount in a day, based on a potential for "legacy" seems pretty iffy.

So, how much is the green jacket worth?  Let's say that Snedeker is on par with Mike Weir:  he's had a phenomenal year, he'll have an above average year next year, and then maybe fade into 115th in the world obscurity.  (Just for argument sake--I'm not commenting on Sned's potential.)  So how much is that green jacket going to be worth to that golfer?  He'll get a spike in endorsements for a couple of years, and some appearance fees.  He'll get to play in the Grand Slam, which will be worth a few hundred thousand.  He'll get to come back to the Masters for the next 25 years, probably make the cut (in a weak field) 2/3 of the time, and cash at least one decent paycheck every year that he wouldn't have access to without the green jacket.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are we being asked what someone else would do in a situation that could never possibly eventuate?

These hypotheticals are getting more and more absurd.

Why not just be happy for Snedeker? It was only YESTERDAY that he won.

Already, people havev to start inane polls where they're are basically questioning the importance/validity of his achievement.

Just be glad it wasn't Furyk Or Watson.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Shorty

Why are we being asked what someone else would do in a situation that could never possibly eventuate?

These hypotheticals are getting more and more absurd.

Why not just be happy for Snedeker? It was only YESTERDAY that he won.

Already, people havev to start inane polls where they're are basically questioning the importance/validity of his achievement.

Just be glad it wasn't Furyk Or Watson.


Shorty, the question is a follow-up to a previous thread posted about the importance of the FEC  which garnered quite a bit of interest and comments among the SandTrap audience.  We are all happy for Snedeker. And it was yesterday that he won.  It is still fresh in everyone's mind so the timing is perfect to ask a question about the importance of the FEC.  What you like to discuss if not the FEC?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have absolutely no clue what Snedeker would do, but for me it would all depend on the situation (financial, majors/tournaments won, etc.).
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0