IGNORED

Does It matter whats in the bag if it is all legal

Shankie
Note:Β This thread is 3880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Im sure the purist will hate on this but does it matter if you play and shoot the low score of the round and all you used was a 7 wood. 11 wood. Putter and 5 wood. And sand wedge....... Just curious played in a 4 some one guy used all fairway woods short holes long holes putted great and chipped really well all aproach shots were with fairway metals(woods) tee off with 3 wood he worked a 5 wood and a 7 wood had this adams clone 11 wood which was like a 7 iron Long story short only iron was a wedge and one guy in the group said he was cheating and not really golfing. Etc. of course this guy couldny stick a green like the fairway woods guy. Really does it matter what you play with if all clubs are legal or do you have use irons. 1 more thought the fella with the woods bag had elbow surgery and missing 2 2 fingers on his left hand. Hence why no irons i guess. Share your thoughts

Nope. Just don't carry more than 14 clubs. Whatever works for you. :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know why a purist would hate it.Β  As long as the clubs are legal and you don't exceed 14 there's no rule that dictateΒ which ones you should or have to use.Β  I'm the opposite, all the woods are out of my bag right now, just irons, wedges and a putter.

Joe Paradiso

I wouldn't care and I see people using all kinds of whacky stuff out there. What matters is what I like and what works for me. Having a bag of hybrids wouldn't make me a better player. In fact I started the season with 3 hybrids in the bag and eventually took them out until I had just one as my long iron play improved to make room for additional wedges. At the beginning of the season all I had was a PW, now I carry 4 wedges. The only reason I carryΒ a hybridΒ now is once in a while I face a really funky lie and the hybrid is handy for that because it cuts through stuff better than my 3w or an iron. I hit it about the same distance as a 4i so I suppose I could toss that but I don't have anything to replace it with. Would make the bag a bit lighter at 13 clubs.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Shankie

Im sure the purist will hate on this but does it matter if you play and shoot the low score of the round and all you used was a 7 wood. 11 wood. Putter and 5 wood. And sand wedge.......

Just curious played in a 4 some one guy used all fairway woods short holes long holes putted great and chipped really well all aproach shots were with fairway metals(woods) tee off with 3 wood he worked a 5 wood and a 7 wood had this adams clone 11 wood which was like a 7 iron Long story short only iron was a wedge and one guy in the group said he was cheating and not really golfing. Etc. of course this guy couldny stick a green like the fairway woods guy. Really does it matter what you play with if all clubs are legal or do you have use irons.

1 more thought the fella with the woods bag had elbow surgery and missing 2 2 fingers on his left hand. Hence why no irons i guess. Share your thoughts

I quite often play with fewer than 14 clubs, sometimes as few as 6 or 7. Β If you learn to play that way, it will make you Β a better player. Β You will learn to play shots that you might need someday for getting out of trouble.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Weird why the other guy in the group claimed the fw guy was cheating. Must have been getting beat pretty good.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* :Β Fairway - Ping G30 18* :Β Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* &Β 915 H 24* :Β Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 ForgedΒ 5Β - GW :Β Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 :Β Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio SelectΒ Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-RΒ  :Β Ball - Bridgestone B330RX,Β Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I think it's great he was out playing!Β  Lee Trevino always said, be wary of the guy that carries a 1 iron and has an odd swing, same could be true of the guy that carries an 11 wood!

CraigΒ 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Originally Posted by lumpuckeroo

I think it's great he was out playing!Β  Lee Trevino always said, be wary of the guy that carries a 1 iron and has an odd swing, same could be true of the guy that carries an 11 wood!

sean_miller always says, be prepared for a slow round when a high handicapper pulls out the 1-iron.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

See my sig! As long as it is legal, whatever gets you around the best.Β  (I confess, my old Wilson putter may be illegal due to the grip-original leather with flat section on front)

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 SΒ Β Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;Β Β Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts-Β TT AMT Red S300Β ;Β WedgesΒ Vokey SM8Β 56-10DΒ Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5Β Β Ball:Β Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

This golfer is probably smarter than the rest of us. If all of us with higher handicaps used clubs that are easy to hit and analyzed which clubs we use most often, we could probably carry half the clubs we do now. I carry a gap wedge but only hit it a few times per season. I rarely hit anything lower than a 5 iron as I have 2 hybrids yet there is a 3 and 4 iron in my bag.

I don't see what the big deal is about a 1 iron. I have an old Taylormade 1 iron in the bag which is a great club for me. I use it for narrow fairways because I can hit it straight off the tee for over 200 yards. I think 1 irons have gotten a bad rap. They're not hard to hit.

I also have an old Taylormade 3 wood which works great for me on long fairway shots. Since I always walk I only keep the clubs I feel confident with in my bag. I'm thinking of dumping a couple of my longer irons (6 and 4) and replacing them with wedges. I find that on most par 4s I'm hitting driver, wedge anyway so why drag a bunch of iron around I rarely use?

My hats off to the guy who doesn't let the crowd dictate what clubs he carries in his bag. Your clubs should be as individual as your game is.

Originally Posted by Strike One

I don't see what the big deal is about a 1 iron. I have an old Taylormade 1 iron in the bag which is a great club for me. I use it for narrow fairways because I can hit it straight off the tee for over 200 yards. I think 1 irons have gotten a bad rap. They're not hard to hit.

I also have an old Taylormade 3 wood which works great for me on long fairway shots. Since I always walk I only keep the clubs I feel confident with in my bag. I'm thinking of dumping a couple of my longer irons (6 and 4) and replacing them with wedges. I find that on most par 4s I'm hitting driver, wedge anyway so why drag a bunch of iron around I rarely use?

My hats off to the guy who doesn't let the crowd dictate what clubs he carries in his bag. Your clubs should be as individual as your game is.

You're a 2 handicap, that's why you can hit a 1 iron. For me a 1 iron might as well be a lightning rod. I have much better luck hitting my 3 hybrid.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

sean_miller always says, be prepared for a slow round when a high handicapper pulls out the 1-iron.

Or hide your wallet!

Regards,

John

Originally Posted by MSchott

You're a 2 handicap, that's why you can hit a 1 iron. For me a 1 iron might as well be a lightning rod. I have much better luck hitting my 3 hybrid.

I wish I was a 2 handicap. "2 hi" means too high . I don't even have a handicap. I got all excited last week because I broke 90. Nevertheless, a 1 iron is no more difficult to hit than a 2 hybrid. The shaft and weight is roughly the same, and they both have a similar feel, to me anyway.

It's all about confidence. If you don't think you can hit a certain club then you can't. I have that type of relationship with my 60 degree wedge. If I don't get mental, everything goes smooth. If I start doubting her, she rewards me with chunks and tops. She's the temperamental bitch in my bag.

Originally Posted by Strike One

I wish I was a 2 handicap. "2 hi" means too high. I don't even have a handicap. I got all excited last week because I broke 90. Nevertheless, a 1 iron is no more difficult to hit than a 2 hybrid. The shaft and weight is roughly the same, and they both have a similar feel, to me anyway.

It's all about confidence. If you don't think you can hit a certain club then you can't. I have that type of relationship with my 60 degree wedge. If I don't get mental, everything goes smooth. If I start doubting her, she rewards me with chunks and tops. She's the temperamental bitch in my bag.

Ah, I should have figured that out. But the truth is the longer the shaft and the steeper the angle of the face on an iron the harder it is to hit for most high handicap golfers. Some of it is confidence the rest is hand/eye coordination. I am very confident with my 3 and 4 hybrid but then again they have shorter shafts and are much more tolerant of mishits than a long iron. Also, you are supposed to hit down with an iron while you can sweep with a hybrid.

Last, congrats on breaking 90, it's a fine accomplishment. If you can do this regularly you are better than the average golfer.

Originally Posted by Dormie1360

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Or hide your wallet!

I'm pretty sure a high handicapper using a 1-iron would not be concerned with my wallet. Unless he wanted me to spot him some money for more golf balls at the turn. Actually it's not hard to find a tee shot when it bounces and rolls < 100 yards down the middle of the fairway.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by MSchott

Ah, I should have figured that out. But the truth is the longer the shaft and the steeper the angle of the face on an iron the harder it is to hit for most high handicap golfers. Some of it is confidence the rest is hand/eye coordination. I am very confident with my 3 and 4 hybrid but then again they have shorter shafts and are much more tolerant of mishits than a long iron. Also, you are supposed to hit down with an iron while you can sweep with a hybrid.

Last, congrats on breaking 90, it's a fine accomplishment. If you can do this regularly you are better than the average golfer.

Thanks, 80 is next.

I only use the 1 iron on the tee: on short par 4s, into a head wind, on narrow fairways or a dogleg. It has a natural draw, so it's good for left hand turns. The only time I'd use it on the fairway is to hit out from under trees.

Most people probably come close to hitting a 1-iron, its called todays 3-iron :p

Honestly, for me i could play a hole round with just the 3-wood off the tee. Depending on how i play the ball in my stance i can vary the yardage and work it from left to right a lot better than my driver. Damn thing is a beast i tell you.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Note:Β This thread is 3880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!