IGNORED

Not trying to be a jerk but seasoned short hitters, what is keeping you from hitting it over 250 on your drives?

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 3800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm 39 and very close to hitting it 250+.  The reason I can't do it now is because I can't get the clubface closed on my driver.  I've been playing seriously for around 3 - 3.5 years.  I have increased distances with all irons to something approaching respectable - but I slice my driver every time.  If I could make a solid connection with the driver - I have no doubt that I could hit it 240-260.

A short drive for me is normally about 235-240. I've gotten to the point where I typically hit it between 250-260. In the beginning of the season a long drive for me would go about 245. I believe my problem was growing up (I'm 20 now) I was always taught to hit the ball straight and not worry about how far the ball goes. While that is all fine and dandy that's all I ever learned was to hit the ball straight and not how to generate speed and hit it far. I am just now at the age of 20 after playing golf seriously for about 9 years learning how to generate speed. I used to swing around 97-99MPH. Now I have no problem getting into the 100s.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

Swing flaws is the problem I see, in myself and others. It's rare I don't hit it at least 250 but if I don't I feel it and it's usually mishit that travels far less than that. IMO in an attempt to hit the ball straight I see guys out there moving in strange ways with golf clubs. This is my first year back to golf after a decade+ long layoff and I see more people out there doing their own thing than I did before. Strikes me as odd considering the wealth of info and tools out there now. Though much of it seems to be limited to those with flexibility problems. The younger guys I see with bad form struggle with trying to hit too hard.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Swing flaws is the problem I see, in myself and others. It's rare I don't hit it at least 250 but if I don't I feel it and it's usually mishit that travels far less than that. IMO in an attempt to hit the ball straight I see guys out there moving in strange ways with golf clubs. This is my first year back to golf after a decade+ long layoff and I see more people out there doing their own thing than I did before. Strikes me as odd considering the wealth of info and tools out there now. Though much of it seems to be limited to those with flexibility problems. The younger guys I see with bad form struggle with trying to hit too hard.

This was what I was getting at. I see a lot of people with absolutely no weight shifting which kills any chance for distance but you can hit a reasonably straight all be it short drive. I do not believe that much flexibility is needed to shift weight.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

For me, personally, I typically average in the 260-270 range (I obviously don't have the time or need to track that into a solid decimal like PGA statisticians do). What keeps me from gaining additional "power", or distance, is a broad array of conditions. I am not that flexible as I a have the frame of a linebacker (I played that position for 16 years) and I also have 2 herniated discs with severe sciatica and spondylolisthesis.

I am not able to generate any more speed than I do right now. I also see my drives being more consistently in the fairway when I'm averaging 245-250, which can happen based upon how my body feels when I crawl out of bed (sometimes, crawling is literal...). In most cases and on most courses around my area, I have the distance with my irons to be on any Par 4 GIR and sometimes GUR on Par 5s (though that is not common by any means).

Most of the people I play with average 240-250 (very honest distances) and play to a 3-5 HC.

Distance is a marketing scheme that will never go away and is overly sought after by golfers of almost all levels, in my opinion.

Maybe one day I'll stop self medicating ( ) and opt for corrective surgery. The self-medicating part of my game probably adds a few strokes alone!

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

This was what I was getting at. I see a lot of people with absolutely no weight shifting which kills any chance for distance but you can hit a reasonably straight all be it short drive. I do not believe that much flexibility is needed to shift weight.

Nope but you need to have good timing for the weight shift to be a big factor in gaining a lot of distance. It also contributes to why a lot of average will randomly hit a drive that is longer than their normal drive. Most average golfers either have no weight shift or bad timing with their weight but it's still only one factor to why they don't hit further. There is literally a ton of variables that could be the reason people don't hit further but trying to find a reason they don't is almost impossible.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I still don't get the point of this thread.    I could understand it if you were asking for ways to increase your own distance but asking others why they haven't increased theirs seems to have no useful purpose unless it is to gloat over how much further you hit than they do (and I don't get that vibe from your post either).   You have mentioned several people with relatively decent handicaps that aren't hitting it past 250.   Are they complaining to you?   Are you seeking answers for them?

As Spyder said, distance is a marketing gimmick and it seems golf companies have the majority convinced it is the primary thing.  It is not.   The object of the game is to get the ball in the hole in the least number of strokes.   I have seen many a player who hits much shorter than I do that ultimately used less strokes than I did because their second shot, while physically longer than mine, was played from the fairway, rather than around a tree in the deep rough.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I'm not sure I need to hit a driver any further and doubt I could without a leap in technology. I swing pretty hard with a driver in my hand and always have.  I'd sure like shorter first putts though, so I'll be working on wedge accuracy next season. I get streaky and knock down flags then find myself in the next round flying the ball 20 paces over the flag. Maybe driving shorter and leaving myself a 6 or 7-iron would be a good thing!!!

Originally Posted by teamroper60

I still don't get the point of this thread.    I could understand it if you were asking for ways to increase your own distance but asking others why they haven't increased theirs seems to have no useful purpose unless it is to gloat over how much further you hit than they do (and I don't get that vibe from your post either).   You have mentioned several people with relatively decent handicaps that aren't hitting it past 250.   Are they complaining to you?   Are you seeking answers for them?

As Spyder said, distance is a marketing gimmick and it seems golf companies have the majority convinced it is the primary thing.  It is not.   The object of the game is to get the ball in the hole in the least number of strokes.   I have seen many a player who hits much shorter than I do that ultimately used less strokes than I did because their second shot, while physically longer than mine, was played from the fairway, rather than around a tree in the deep rough.

I stated before, and I might have used a yardage too high, but I wanted to know what if people knew was holding them back from hitting a longer shot. I also would be curious to know why they haven't remedied it if they know. It is just that I see guys who are solid players hit short drives and post on this forum and as stated by another poster, there is a wealth of information here to help add distance without completely sacrificing accuracy.

I was interested to know peoples take on their game. I am not stating anything about how I do it or brag about anything. This is a forum in case you didn't know it and people can weigh in or not. I have quite a few threads that were not interesting enough for people to weigh in on and this one has some interest whether you see the point or not.

I stated before, and I might have used a yardage too high, but I wanted to know what if people knew was holding them back from hitting a longer shot. I also would be curious to know why they haven't remedied it if they know. It is just that I see guys who are solid players hit short drives and post on this forum and as stated by another poster, there is a wealth of information here to help add distance without completely sacrificing accuracy.

I was interested to know peoples take on their game. I am not stating anything about how I do it or brag about anything. This is a forum in case you didn't know it and people can weigh in or not. I have quite a few threads that were not interesting enough for people to weigh in on and this one has some interest whether you see the point or not.

Most guys take their career drive as their average and, thus, grossly overstate their distances.

Surveys have shown that the average golfer shooting between 90 and 94 drives his ball 192 yards carry and roll, yet insists he is hitting it 230/240.

To hit 250 yards on the fly you will need a swing speed of around 105 mph +/- depending on purety of impact and launch conditions. Doing that on a regular basis would put you in the realms of the seriously good golfers - and there are simply not too many of those around..

One thing I've notice in the experienced golfer thats not a big hitter and doesn't have significant swing flaws is their entire game seems more intentional. I've never sat down and talked to them about their distances but most have fluid swings and the predictable ball flight that goes with it. If they're not getting it beyond 250 it's not much less. Certainly not enough where trying to increase yardage would be worth the effort if they sacrifice even a little accuracy. I see them steering it away from trouble and towards what should be a good lie on the fairway.

Dave :-)

There is a lot of great information on this site, but that doesn't mean it translates into a reality for those that read it or even attempt to incorporate the tips.  We could ask why do we three putt or not hit every shot from 120 yards and closer within 15 feet of the pin.

Obviously if it was easy we'd eliminate all our swing flaws and inefficiencies and drive the ball 300+ yards and sink every putt from 15 feet and closer.

To your specific question, there's flexibility, weight shift, lag, strength, coordination and timing that all go into having a swing speed over 105mph.  Given the people I have observed over the past two years on the course, I'd say the majority cannot consistently hit a drive over 250.  The majority of those that could, couldn't consistently hit the fairway.

I'd be happy with 240 yards in the fairway every time, but I can't do that either.

Joe Paradiso

Those of you that have been playing for a while and are under forty, what is keeping you from hitting 250+ drives? With all the info on here and other areas about building power, why are you still hitting it short?

I know there is a laundry list of reasons distance is lost but I am not looking for those reasons, I want your reason. Thanks for humoring my curiosity.

Why can a skinny little HS kid who weighs barely 140lbs soaking wet nail it 290yds...........and a 300lb football player hits it 220yds.    IMO...the answer is simple........it's all about form and technique.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Maybe people who are consistent players are happy with consistent yardages but I heard it from guys on the course who are good players: "this guy can crush the ball, I wish I hard some of that power." Maybe it gets out of control when they do, idk, which is why I asked.

Why not? I don't see hitting long drives or longer shots anything but proper mechanics. Like I said, I am curious what the limiting factor is for guys who have actively tried to improve in this area.

Tour average is 289.3. I suppose the average for joe golfer could be 200-230 but that is a wide range so I am going to take your stats very loosely. There are a lot of golfers over 60 that hit less than 200 drives so the average is thrown off. I am talking about healthy prime of life golfers.

Are your expectations that they hit it in play? Because I know a lot of gorillas who are long and wrong and I take their money every week with my 230 or so average.

Bill M

Why? Because it just isn't that easy to hit it far and straight.  We do have jobs and lifes outside of golf.  And are you talking flying it 250 or hitting it 250 in the middle of august.  Two totally different things.  You need to play a bunch to play well IE hit the center of the club face consistantly and it the correct direction.  I'd take 230 and in play everyone instead of coming after it hard and being everywhere.  Flying it 250 is a big drive in real life, not on the internet.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

Why not? I don't see hitting long drives or longer shots anything but proper mechanics. Like I said, I am curious what the limiting factor is for guys who have actively tried to improve in this area.

Tour average is 289.3. I suppose the average for joe golfer could be 200-230 but that is a wide range so I am going to take your stats very loosely. There are a lot of golfers over 60 that hit less than 200 drives so the average is thrown off. I am talking about healthy prime of life golfers.

Are your expectations that they hit it in play? Because I know a lot of gorillas who are long and wrong and I take their money every week with my 230 or so average.

Not sure what you are talking about.

Why? Because it just isn't that easy to hit it far and straight.  We do have jobs and lifes outside of golf.  And are you talking flying it 250 or hitting it 250 in the middle of august.  Two totally different things.  You need to play a bunch to play well IE hit the center of the club face consistantly and it the correct direction.  I'd take 230 and in play everyone instead of coming after it hard and being everywhere.  Flying it 250 is a big drive in real life, not on the internet.

Why so angry

Note: This thread is 3800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!