IGNORED

Is this a dumb thought process?

turtleback
Note: This thread is 4148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a 4-hybrid that is easily my favorite club.  I hit it really well.  I also have a gap between it and my 6-iron.  I do NOT hit my 5-iron well so I took it out for an extra wedge (PW, GW, SW, and LW).  But I find that I hardly ever use my SW because the sand here is too hard and either the GW or LW work better.  So now I would like to take the SW out of the bag and replace it with a 5-hybrid of the exact same brand/model, which is a Taylormade mid hybrid.  But this is an older club so I have to find one used.  I haven't had any success online as mostly what I can find is ladies clubs or clubs with a still shaft.

I did find one at a local golf shop for an excellent price, but the problem is that it has a stiff shaft and I use regular flex shafts. But it is such a good price that I am considering buying it and try to see how well it works for me and if it doesn't work well because of the stiff shaft get it reshafted.  I just have no feel at all of what the difference would be with playing this one club with a stiff shaft.  Even if I end up getting it reshafted it will be a decent deal, but not as good as if it is workable with the stiff shaft.

Thoughts?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by turtleback

I did find one at a local golf shop for an excellent price, but the problem is that it has a stiff shaft and I use regular flex shafts. But it is such a good price that I am considering buying it and try to see how well it works for me and if it doesn't work well because of the stiff shaft get it reshafted.  I just have no feel at all of what the difference would be with playing this one club with a stiff shaft.  Even if I end up getting it reshafted it will be a decent deal, but not as good as if it is workable with the stiff shaft.

Thoughts?

Go for it. The used club can't cost so much that even if it's a total failure (which is unlikely), it won't put you out more than a couple of bucks. Right?

I carry three wedges, fwiw: PW, SW, LW. Works pretty well for me.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Why do you have to pull the wedge? Just replace the 5 iron with the hybrid and you're done....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Why do you have to pull the wedge? Just replace the 5 iron with the hybrid and you're done....

Because he pulled the 5 iron for a wedge.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Originally Posted by turtleback

I have a 4-hybrid that is easily my favorite club.  I hit it really well.  I also have a gap between it and my 6-iron.  I do NOT hit my 5-iron well so I took it out for an extra wedge (PW, GW, SW, and LW).  But I find that I hardly ever use my SW because the sand here is too hard and either the GW or LW work better.  So now I would like to take the SW out of the bag and replace it with a 5-hybrid of the exact same brand/model, which is a Taylormade mid hybrid.  But this is an older club so I have to find one used.  I haven't had any success online as mostly what I can find is ladies clubs or clubs with a still shaft.

Thoughts?

These decisions are always fun.  I sometimes think that I should still have a 4I for certain situations, yet I hit my 2 hybrids ( I have older model 22° and 25° TM Rescues) too well to take them out of the bag.  I often need an iron that I can keep low to get out of the trees (yeah... my driver sometimes has a wild streak ), and my 5I is hard to keep low enough, even played well back in my stance.  I played  for a long time with a 2I which I used for tee and trouble shots.  Now I really don't have any equivalent, yet I can't think of a club I'd rather do without, so I just live with it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

See what they will charge you to have it reshafted and go for it. I find that if there is something I think is off on one of my clubs it just bugs me until I get it "fixed" or changed, weird. I think it is more in my head than anything else. I drive myself nuts with clubs, I buy and sell a lot. I have a friend in the golf business who builds clubs, reshafts them, grips, and buys and sells himself so he feeds my insanity (while I feed his family, $$$). Just traded in a perfectly good Cobra S3 driver for an older S2, why, because I felt I could hit the S2 better, go figure (I do hit it well though). Anybody else got this problem?

Note: This thread is 4148 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!