IGNORED

Dropping Cable TV

neophytea
Note: This thread is 4099 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I cut the cord in 2007, when OTA HD broadcasts were available in my area. Back then it wasn't for everyone, you had to sacrifice some. Still today, but there's much more variety now. Figure I saved close to five thousand dollars and the content I bought I can re-watch, without commercials.

There's lots to learned - you can see what people are doing on: http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Been with DirecTV since 2001. Did it then for NFL Sunday Ticket, and have never had any sort of issue since then. Lots of HD content, Golf Channel, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've tried cord cutting without actually cutting it to see if it would really work for me, and it just hasn't.    While there is a lot of content over the internet, I found that it wasn't as convenient, subject to a lot of glitches, and much of the acquisition is sufficiently user unfriendly that my wife doesn't want to have to deal with it.

I've had DIRECTV since first day it started in 1994 (my account number is actually 3 digits!) and just can't beat the convenience, choice, and quality.

Originally Posted by neophytea

How many of you are dropping cable TV because of cost or because internet does good enough? The following article was on msn newspaper.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/arti...ernet?page=all

Smart move..I cut the cord last year.  At first, I was extremely hesitant as I would miss the GC and some other shows.  In reality, I really didn't watch either of them on a regular basis.  I got rid of my cable (still have internet service though..obviously).  I have kids too, 9 and 7, but they weren't into TV also.  We have a ROKU player and they get enough entertainment out of that with Netflix.  When the golf season kicks off, OTA HD is plenty good, just buy a cheapo HDTV antenna (heck, mine cost $9.95 from Radio Shack) all the main ones are on CBS and I that is free HDTV.  It is just as clear as DirecTV or cable too.

I dropped my $120 package down to $30, essentially losing most channels. I got Netfix which I really love. I had also planned to get an entena for OTA HD, but found out I'd only get a couple channels. The plan was to get rid of cable all together.

After a month I was dying to watch the golf channel. I cave in and all of a sudden I don't have Boomberg anymore. Buggers took it away, even though I pay more. I really, really hate the cable company!!!

In the Bag

Cobra Amp Cell Pro Black Tie 7M3 Stiff  |  LS Hybrid Kurokage Stiff  |
 Nickent 4DX KBS Hybrid Stiff 3,4  | Cobra S3 Pro 5-PW Project X 5.5  |
 Scratch 53*, 59*  |  Odyssey Backstryke  |  Srixon Z Star

When I had my first job out of graduate school, I got cable. I noticed that most of what I watched was either available over the air (mostly sports, some shows like [i]Simpsons[/i] or late night if I'm up), was ESPN, was Golf Channel, or was available from (legitimate) streaming sites (there's also some legitimate streaming in other categories, such as from Golf Channel's website or NBC for Sunday Night Football). When I moved for my second job, I got internet, hooked an old desktop up to my television, and didn't get cable.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

There's cordcutting. There's also cordshaving. Getting rid of some cable channels and replacing those with streaming.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Did this last year. Netflix + Hulu is WAY cheaper than cable, and I still get 95% of the content I want. Plus, given the fact that all my TV's have HDMI plugs, I can just plug my comp in and watch pretty much anything =)

Also, threw a HD antenna up in my attic, so I still get local new, etc.

F U Cable company!

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

• 4 weeks later...

I have been without cable for going on three years now.  In general, it's not a problem.

A lot of the new shows are on Hulu for free, such as The Daily Show, and most new sitcoms.  I also used Netflix a lot to watch older series' as well as some movies.  ESPN has a free app to watch a lot of sports, too

At some point I will go back to TV, but in my current apartment my only option is ComCast cable and they rip you off big time.  A basic package is $70+ and when I said I wanted the Fox Soccer Channel, they were requiring me to get the premium package at $130+/month.

For me in Ontario what I would save in Cable costs I would end up paying back in Internet usage charges for streaming all of the HD and movies. We do not have a lot of unlimited data packages and the ones that do exist are insanely expensive per month.

Originally Posted by CanuckAaron

For me in Ontario what I would save in Cable costs I would end up paying back in Internet usage charges for streaming all of the HD and movies. We do not have a lot of unlimited data packages and the ones that do exist are insanely expensive per month.

Have you tried Teksavvy (if they're available in your area)?  I dumped Rogers for them and I have unlimited bandwidth for about what I was paying Rogers just for internet.

Brad

Originally Posted by bradsul

Have you tried Teksavvy (if they're available in your area)?  I dumped Rogers for them and I have unlimited bandwidth for about what I was paying Rogers just for internet.

Thanks I will look into it. It is pretty sad when my TV/Internet (Cogeco) bill are more than I pay for Gas/Hydro and Water combined.

My friend recommended boxee . I am thinking of doing this plus apple tv. My biggest worry is college football games on ESPN and the Golf Channel. I watch my share of the Golf Channel in the summer.

Michael

I've been using a Roku box for about a year; primarily Netflix, but also HuluPlus and some paid Amazon content (since we're Amazon Prime subscribers), plus OTA local broadcasting.

The Boxee looks nice with the cloud DVR capability. Alas, they don't yet support Amazon or Hulu.

Bob E.

Dallas, TX

Alas, they don't yet support Amazon or Hulu.

Completely agree. The lack of amazon is the main thing holding me back. I thought I could use the apple tv to cover, but I might wait for amazon to be supported. Hulu and Vudu are pretty similar from what I can tell.

Michael

I have a resolution this year to move in this direction, I've started by reviewing information on this page: http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters

I hope to get rid of all the extra stuff while getting what I want. Just as a side note: is there any limit to the number of cooking competition shows that you can find on TV? My wife is drawn to them like a moth to the flame.

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Note: This thread is 4099 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!