IGNORED

Late for a hot date.

SouthernBuckeye
Note: This thread is 4136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have noticed a lot of complaining in the forums about slow play.  I was wondering how you feel about people who want to play on a crowded course and play on a dead run or as I would say,  playing like they are late for a hot date.  I do not advocate slow play and I know my capabilities and I can usually walk to my ball and hit without much decision making.  However sometimes the course will bog down, not so much with slow play but just crowded.  I will adjust my pace according to the group in front of me, especially when I can see they are adjusting for the several groups in front of them.  There are times I will have issues with playing partners because I will not hit while I think that it may interfere or bother a person playing in front of me.  It just aggravates me when I am getting ready to hit and I hear a ball land close behind me, I don't like it and I will not do someone else that way.  It actually does slow down play because I then am compelled to go back to the group behind me and explain it to them, and sometimes that can be time consuming.  It just seems that the world is a race track anymore and courtesy is a thing of the past.  Just my thoughts.

I bascially agree 100%.  I don't understand how people can go to the course and play slow like they are Tiger Woods putting for some type of championship.  I think the courses should just kick out the slow people or maybe set up a different course where they can play as slow as they want, and just stand their and stare at each other.  Prolly wouldn't even help.  Also, I just read the first sentence of your post.  I plan on reading the rest on my lunch break.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Gilberg

I bascially agree 100%.  I don't understand how people can go to the course and play slow like they are Tiger Woods putting for some type of championship.  I think the courses should just kick out the slow people or maybe set up a different course where they can play as slow as they want, and just stand their and stare at each other.  Prolly wouldn't even help.  Also, I just read the first sentence of your post.  I plan on reading the rest on my lunch break.

That's funny.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some guys I know play with a guy that runs to each shot.I don't know that he hits into groups or is that serious about golf but likes the "exercise" of running to his ball every shot. I find it odd.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I am a big hater of slow play but I basically agree with you . .it makes no sense to rush or be impatient when the course is backed up.  The thing I hate is when there is a slow group with open holes ahead.  That I can not stand.  When the course is all backed up, though, there really isn't much anybody can do about it and being impatient or pushing the group ahead of you (who is stuck behind the group ahead of them) is just rude and annoying.

Still . .I can't help but feel like way up there somewhere is a slow group with open holes ahead . .I just can't see them because they are backing up so many groups.  They are the jerks . .everybody else is fine.

BTW - I played at a really tough course today - hardest course I've ever played.  I shot over 120 -  took at least 8 penalty strokes.  We still finished in 3:45 so there is absolutely no excuse for slow play!

Originally Posted by SouthernBuckeye  It just seems that the world is a race track anymore and courtesy is a thing of the past.  Just my thoughts.

People who play slow and think they own the golf course just because they paid their greens fees are just as inconsiderate.  Personally, if I want to play a quick round I either playing during the week or early in the morning.

Otherwise, I set my mind to the fact that Im going to be waiting on the group ahead of me and am not in a hurry.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by Deckard

Agree! Nothing more irritating when a group behind you is shooting close to you even though there is a group in front, stresses me out.

Thats an instance where you need to wait for them on the next tee, let them play through and say, "oh, by the way, the group ahead is really slow, so you can play through if you want but you'll still be waiting."

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Like I have said before, people that want to play really fast need to adjust when they play. I can't stand rounds longer than 4 1/2 hours (I prefer less than 4) so I play 95% of my golf early in the morning. I make sure to get tee times in the first 30 minutes of the day so I don't have a packed course in front of me. Showing up at the packed local muni at noon because you slept in and then bitching about a 5 hour round is just stupidity.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Every one hates slow play and my 4some tries to alter the pace to the group in front of us too , but sometimes it doesnt always work .

But I feel alot has to do with courses ( Public mostly ) making the play slow , 4-6 inch rough along fairways when 2-3 inches will do , riding or walking to the ball makes for finding the ball faster , you dont have every guy stomping around trying to find a lost ball for 15 minutes , or better yet  widen the fairway cut   , as most weekend warriors have problems with 2 inch rough , cut the fairways all the way to the front of all greens so a ball has a chance to either roll up to the green , or if it comes up short he can at least putt it from off the green , not every hacker can chip and fly the ball onto the green over the rough , they either hit it fat or skull it across the green therefore taking more time to putt out . Not everyone can play a PGA style set up course , but thats just my take on slow play .

I am TRULY VERY SORRY if I offend anyone, but I can't focus on golf for more than 4hours and 30minutes which is why I like a "fast pace" (which is actually the recommended pace).

I have been trying to read articles and watch videos on the mental game to calm me down, help me focus, and play better no matter what the pace of play is. Since the recommended pace of play is rarely enforced,  ("marshalls" don't want to anger slow golfers because they may not come back and many slow golfers appear to be oblivious to how slow they really are (and don't care) and will not speed up anyway),  I started walking as a way to calm me down so that I wouldn't have to wait as much when I got to my ball. I play better that way (walking) because I'm thinking of my shot as I approach the ball. Set up and hit, staying in rythm. When I am allowed to play that way (on courses with 126 or less slope) I score low 80's and occasionaly break 80.

Some group, (sometimes my group) is going to have a bad day and the pace is likely to be a 5 hour pace or slower on the affordable courses we play on the weekend.

There is no solution to this problem. It's all luck.

So I'm stuck unless I want to find a new hobby, but I love golf too much to quit for slow play.

Note: This thread is 4136 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!