IGNORED

Do old balls damage new clubs?

Note: This thread is 4109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently got a new set of clubs and have played a few rounds with them, but only with old balls that I had. I am inconsistent with my rounds, and lose quite a few balls in some rounds, so I prefer to play with cheap and secondhand balls. I heard from a friend that old balls can cause a lot of damage to clubs. I was wondering if this is true and if I should rather play with new balls.

Old balls? Any ball can/will cause damage depending on the condition the ball is in. Golf balls that still have dirt and sand on them, driving range balls that have dirt and sand embedded in them, and scuffed balls with foreign material on/in them will definitely cause wear on a golf club. If you do a image search on worn out grooves you can see the results of this. Less than quality swings, IE hitting too close to the crown on the driver causing the paint to chip, or hitting the ground way behind the ball causing shaft/club head damage, are all factors too.Taking divots on less than plush lies and taking divots with painted club faces all cause wear. Using the wrong equipment and techniques to clean your clubs will also cause wear.  In the "spirit" of what your friend told you, I "agree" with him.

Check out the article below.

http://golf-patents.com/2011/03/25/do-golf-clubs-wear-out.aspx

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by colin007

now think about this, do old clubs damage new balls?

Haha new clubs are the ones that damage new balls. I use to have a Cleveland 56* wedge that tore golf balls up pretty good for the first few months.

• Upvote 1

I have hit 1000s of old shitty balls at the range and I don't see any wear or damage. Not to mention the rounds of golf hitting new balls, old balls, dirty balls, the big ball (earth), roots, water, mud, you name it. Again no damage to my clubs. Are the bottoms of the clubs scuffed up, yes, but I wouldn't call that "damage". Don't worry about it, just play golf.

• Upvote 2

Originally Posted by cooke119

I have hit 1000s of old shitty balls at the range and I don't see any wear or damage. Not to mention the rounds of golf hitting new balls, old balls, dirty balls, the big ball (earth), roots, water, mud, you name it. Again no damage to my clubs. Are the bottoms of the clubs scuffed up, yes, but I wouldn't call that "damage". Don't worry about it, just play golf.

Someone that "gets it"

I love it.

• Upvote 1
Driver: R7 425,  3-wood: V-Steel
3H Burner,  4-pw: R9 TP
SW: Vokey, 56-10
Putter: Cameron

Originally Posted by cooke119

This is the definitive post in this thread.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

This is the definitive post in this thread.

I agree 100%.

"Don't worry about it, just play golf"

Should be the signature line for most all of us.

• Upvote 1
Driver: R7 425,  3-wood: V-Steel
3H Burner,  4-pw: R9 TP
SW: Vokey, 56-10
Putter: Cameron

Any club can damage old balls if they hang down far enough, or you don't tuck them in.  Thank goodness for soft spikes.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A computer mouse/track ball will dent  a club face....I don't want to say how I happen to know that.

• Upvote 1

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Note: This thread is 4109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!