IGNORED

Google Glass and uses in golf

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It'll be awhile before it becomes practical for the masses, but I think it has potential:

No effort capturing golf swing videos.

Ball flight spotter - like the trailing tail thing chasing the puck in hockey broadcasts.

Keep track of score.

Traffic cop director to mitigate slow play.

While you can do some of this with existing technology, it makes the tasks way more effortless.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It will definitely make using your GPS easier. The only thing that would get annoying for me is the HUD. I saw the prototype video of these things about 6-8 months ago and was wondering if the HUD would distract the wearer in anyway or would you just get used to it? $1500 pricetag would definitely not be for the masses. How cheap would they need to get for you to buy them?

• Administrator
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

It will definitely make using your GPS easier. The only thing that would get annoying for me is the HUD. I saw the prototype video of these things about 6-8 months ago and was wondering if the HUD would distract the wearer in anyway or would you just get used to it? $1500 pricetag would definitely not be for the masses. How cheap would they need to get for you to buy them?

If someone paid me $1500 I'd consider wearing one. For an hour a day or so. Maybe.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Only if they can find a way to integrate it into my actual glasses. And not make me look like a cyborg. And bring the price down below two arms, a leg, and half my left kidney.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Only if they can find a way to integrate it into my actual glasses. And not make me look like a cyborg. And bring the price down below two arms, a leg, and half my left kidney.

I was thinking the same. They will need to make it work with sunglasses and prescription glasses to make it for the masses. I'm sure they have thought of that and are working on it.

i would love to have the ball flight tracker.  i have a degenerative retina disease so i have massive blind spots in my field of vision.  sometimes i have no idea where the ball went if i dont have a good feel for where on the club i mishit it.

Colin P.

I tried in a prototype a few months ago ad the display was not very good. The display would need to get much better for to consider it. I worry for google that the glasses are a solution looking for a problem. Currently I don't see the use case yet.

Michael

I was thinking the same. They will need to make it work with sunglasses and prescription glasses to make it for the masses. I'm sure they have thought of that and are working on it.

Of course. The ones currently available are a first-generation product, obviously. They're only going to get better. But I definitely don't need them, and in not so sure I'd want Google Glass even if they were perfect. I am not conpletely against a(n?) HUD integrated into my glasses, but I would much rather touch a few buttons on my iPhone than speak to my glasses. Like mchepp below I think they're finding a problem where one doesn't exist, but I also think they're not solving that problem very well. [quote name="mchepp" url="/t/65092/google-glass-and-uses-in-golf#post_813430"]I tried in a prototype a few months ago ad the display was not very good. The display would need to get much better for to consider it. I worry for google that the glasses are a solution looking for a problem. Currently I don't see the use case yet.[/quote]

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

When it becomes mainstream they will be banned from tournament or handicap play. Im sure there will be so many fancy apps for it that it would make it impossible for someone to know what kind of info a player was getting from it. I play on the gcatour and they dont allow cell phones during a round.

This thread makes me think back to when the Apple rumor mill was brewing about the iPad - or iSlate - or iTablet... or whatever the rumor mills were calling it at the time.  I was an avid user of another forum, and I posted on there the day that the iPad was available for order, that I ordered one for my wife.  And the thread took off, and dozens of users laughed and thought I was an idiot for spending at the time, $600+ on an iPad when the primary use would be for my wife to read her books, surf the web and check email.  Nearly all of the haters said I should've bought a $200 netbook or $500 notebook, etc. etc...  I look back now, and my wife is still using her iPad (1st gen) nearly nightly.  She loves it.  She bought me the iPad2 when it was launched, because there was times when I would ask her if I could use hers! LOL

So the Google Glass... I don't see a particular use case for it at this stage... But I think if they get the display technology and GUI nailed down... Then it could definitely be a game changer.  There are a lot of apps - like driving mode that I think would be useful.  Especially if they were able to overlay a GPS map over what you were looking at - out of your cars windshield.  I think that would be cool.  I have a GPS in my car, and the GUI is not great.  The car is a 2008, so I'm sure GPS GUI's have advanced since I bought the car, but I hate how the exit ramps are done - especially when you have an exit you're unfamiliar with - and you need to exit right - but then merge into the left exit lane as there are more than one exit on the same ramp.  That is always confusing with the way it is displayed... And things like that could be improved by Glasses IMO.

Personally, I hope these type of devices take off... Because we need to continue to push the edge on mobility and personal computing (says the guy in the technology sector).

• 7 months later...
This isn't golf, but I thought it was kind of neat. Julian Edelman catching punts while wearing Google Glass. [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnBQdHrZnV8[/VIDEO]

In my bag:

Somehow, having Google keeping tabs on my golf shots currently seems even more unappealing than having Google and/or the NSA keeping tabs on other parts of my life.  However, maybe I'll change my tune after a bit more assimilation.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Somehow, having Google keeping tabs on my golf shots currently seems even more unappealing than having Google and/or the NSA keeping tabs on other parts of my life.  However, maybe I'll change my tune after a bit more assimilation.

Yep.

Butch

This isn't golf, but I thought it was kind of neat. Julian Edelman catching punts while wearing Google Glass.

They kept switching away from GG right when I wanted to see the POV a couple of times when he was dodging tackles, but that was cool. I have a feeling in the far future this tech might be used for refereeing.

Imagine if you attached a miniature camera right on the top of the clubhead. That would be cool. Probably useless, but cool.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I think the best application for these is having the ability to watch your own live swing from a couple of positions at a time. Imagine if you could see a DTL view and face on view in real time. Get some proper instantaneous visual feedback going on in those practice sessions. Much much easier than using mirrors.

Note: This thread is 3836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!