IGNORED

My Swing (cipher)

cipher
Note: This thread is 955 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lookin good @cipher .

Nice practice area as well.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nice.. is that your warehouse.. too big to be a garage right?  :)

Yeah it is a warehouse/storage space attached to a shop.

Looks good to me, but I'm not sure that is worth a lot. I need a winter set up like that.

Lookin good @cipher .

Nice practice area as well.

Thanks guys.  I still have some work to do.  Path seems to have improved a bit, and I like A4 better.  Less narrow but can be better.   I want to get it shorter yet and FO view still needs some attention.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

• Administrator

VERY nice Nate. I think your goals are within reach.

A picture:

On the left, some EE caused by some slower hip motion than you will want eventually (eventually you'll snap the hips forward, up, and open more).

On the right, feel that your chest is "caved in" and your shoulders more "rounded" and that you're staying in more of your forward tilt, particularly in the mid- and upper-back area, so that your head isn't forward and thus needs to drop back and down to where the arrow is pointing during the downswing.

A7 is really good FO, but your head dipping back is causing more chaos than necessary.

I'd work on that first.

And by that, I mean if you're truly just making "natural" swings right now. If you're still working on something, keep on that for a bit until it's the "natural motion."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just a check to see where things are at right now.  This is my new winter set up btw.

I love the winter setup but the swing is better. Keep up the good work bud.

VERY nice Nate. I think your goals are within reach.

A picture:

On the left, some EE caused by some slower hip motion than you will want eventually (eventually you'll snap the hips forward, up, and open more).

On the right, feel that your chest is "caved in" and your shoulders more "rounded" and that you're staying in more of your forward tilt, particularly in the mid- and upper-back area, so that your head isn't forward and thus needs to drop back and down to where the arrow is pointing during the downswing.

A7 is really good FO, but your head dipping back is causing more chaos than necessary.

I'd work on that first.

And by that, I mean if you're truly just making "natural" swings right now. If you're still working on something, keep on that for a bit until it's the "natural motion."

Thanks, yeah I am confident going into this season that the huge issues I was dealing with last year are mostly behind me.  I am excited about playing golf this year.  I have a good natural feeling into A4 now with the hands.  I did notice the head movement from A4 to A7 the most and also that I was maybe still a bit too narrow.  I went back and watched the video that @mvmac made a page or two back on that and feeling that more "rounded" and "caved in" look.  I will work on that.  Thank you very much!

I love the winter setup but the swing is better. Keep up the good work bud.

Yeah I am very happy with the work that we did last year.  I think it is fairly close to what I am looking for.  A few more little things and then I just need to learn how to putt. ;-)

Nate

Trying to reduce the head tipping back away from the target in the downswing by changing what I do in the backswing.  This is causing some bad turning rates coming down for sure but the head movement does appear to be better.  I can fix the downswing pretty easily.

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to do this at the end of the season so here it is.

FIR GIR PPR U/D Avg Score Index Sand Saves
2011 46% 33% 32 N/A 82.8 6.2 N/A
2012 70% 44% 31.1 44% 79.4 4.5 N/A
2013 59% 49% 31.8 47% 78.2 3.8 N/A
2014 54% 46% 31.8 52% 78.1 3.6 5% :-D

U/D = Green side up and downs from roughly 20 yards to the green edge and in.

Some stats are probably going to get worse this year as I am switching to mainly playing a much tougher course.  I feel like my full swing is in a much better place than it was last season.  I struggled badly with overdraws but managed to keep the ball in play most of the time.  I will work on a few things this spring and then for most of the year try to just play,and begin to gain confidence in my pattern.  That is unless I have any major issues.  I am going to keep track of my putting stats this year, because I think I really need to work on putts 5-10'.  I am terrible at those putts.  Sand saves need some work! :-D  My green side sand shots were actually okay, I just missed a number of putts in the 5-10 foot range included the one bad one on the vlog from earlier last year.

The greens I will be playing on this year are quite a bit smaller, harder, stimp at about 11-12(depending on the day) and are well guarded with bunkers. The fairways are tight and lined with trees so it should be an interesting year.  I understand my stats may get worse, but I think playing the course more will really help me become a better player over time.

Nate

• Administrator

Some stats are probably going to get worse this year as I am switching to mainly playing a much tougher course.

You may surprise yourself… Some players focus more and play smarter (GamePlan better) on tougher courses. They're not as annoyed by pars because there aren't holes they feel they "should" birdie, etc.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You may surprise yourself… Some players focus more and play smarter (GamePlan better) on tougher courses. They're not as annoyed by pars because there aren't holes they feel they "should" birdie, etc.

I was annoyed by a par once ...it was terrible. :-D

That's some pretty good data you've kept there. Pretty cool to see...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

If that does happen it would be great. I just won't get down on things if that does not happen. In time I think it will help me become a better player. It really forces me to pay attention to my start lines, shot zones and the shading. You also need to hit the ball high to be able to hold greens.

Nate

I think once you have played H2Otown CC more you will do well there. Your a little bit to critical of yourself IMO. When we played there you didn't seem to struggle even with watching my hideous swing :banana: . Once you get comfortable on the greens you will be tearing it up there just like you do at ironwood.

I was annoyed by a par once...it was terrible.

That's some pretty good data you've kept there. Pretty cool to see...

Thanks, yeah it helps me see how what I am working on is or is not making a difference.  Clean contact and power was the best it has been last year, but I developed some pretty major key 4 and 5 issues that held me back in FIR and GIR.  However I can see that the short game work that I did with some guru dude out in Erie at the end of 2013 really paid some dividends.

I think once you have played H2Otown CC more you will do well there. Your a little bit to critical of yourself IMO. When we played there you didn't seem to struggle even with watching my hideous swing . Once you get comfortable on the greens you will be tearing it up there just like you do at ironwood.

Yeah I think the full swing will be fine this year.  A big thing this year is to be able to hit my lines on the 5-10 footers.  I am really bad at that.

I like the H2Otown CC reference btw @Jakester23 .

We will make it out there again this year.  I will save a pass for you.

Nate

• 1 month later...

In two days it will be two years of posts in this thread and improving the swing.  Overall, I am very happy with the progress that has been made.

Still working on feeling my head kinda moving back away from the target a bit in the backswing so as to get the head at A4 closer to where it wants to be at A7.  It looks and feels a bit awkward, but does appear to move less overall.  At the same time I have been trying to continue to feel more width in the backswing.

Nate

• Administrator
In two days it will be two years of posts in this thread and improving the swing.  Overall, I am very happy with the progress that has been made.

Still working on feeling my head kinda moving back away from the target a bit in the backswing so as to get the head at A4 closer to where it wants to be at A7.  It looks and feels a bit awkward, but does appear to move less overall.  At the same time I have been trying to continue to feel more width in the backswing.

I said a bit of this in PMs, but…

• Looking VERY good.
  • Make some full-speed full swings now and then. They won't be good, but it's important for the really hard workers not to sort of "forget" or "lose" your speed, or your sense of your full-speed, normal rhythm.
  • Feel free to let the hips go forward a bit to help the head go back a bit. Still maintains the 55/45 weight distribution you might "feel" without making your head actually go too far back. You do this a bit already, you can do a little bit more.
  • Great stuff with the width.

I said a bit of this in PMs, but…

Looking VERY good.

Make some full-speed full swings now and then. They won't be good, but it's important for the really hard workers not to sort of "forget" or "lose" your speed, or your sense of your full-speed, normal rhythm.

Thanks!  I will hit some full speed ones today and also I will get some on camera this week as well and add it here.

Feel free to let the hips go forward a bit to help the head go back a bit. Still maintains the 55/45 weight distribution you might "feel" without making your head actually go too far back. You do this a bit already, you can do a little bit more.

Great stuff.  I will feel a bit more of that.

Great stuff with the width.

I really like how it feels, my only tendency if I get a bit carried away with it is to hang back and hit a fatty but I know why it happens when I do and I can work that out.

As always, thanks for the help!

Nate

WOW, the Key #1 stuff on the backswing and transition looks great! Especially this pic. Keep up the good work.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 955 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!