IGNORED

Putter Promiscuity

bjwestner
Note:Β This thread is 4043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I thought that I had finally found THE putter that was going to work for me when almost two months ago, I purchased a SC Select Newport 2.Β  I had some success with it and things were going well.Β  Then I picked up a Odyssey Versa 1 Wide as a backup putter and really liked it.Β  I'm not a big fan of inserts though, they are okay but I prefer no inserts.Β  What I found out though was how the style of the 1 Wide fit my putting stroke much better than anything else I had putted with before.Β  My putting stroke is considered to be SBST (or as close to that as you can get, I am not trying to debate whether that is real or not).Β  The 1 Wide featured less offset and a shaft that went right into the putter instead of having a plumbers neck.

Thus I purchased a Newport 2 Notchback that arrived last night and it felt like butter.Β  I also purchased a SC Studio Select Newport 2.7 because it is designed similarly.Β  It should arrive today.Β  I can only hope that this is finally the end of the road because I have blown so much money on putters, it's not funny.Β  Every time I think that I finally found the putter that I have been looking for, after a few weeks or months, I am lured to something else that seems and performs better.

Is anyone else out there a "putter playa"?Β  I am ashamed in a way to admit, but since I started golfing just 9 months ago, I have owned the following putters:

1)Β  Maxfli Mallet Putter that was my first putter, purchased at Dicks Sporting Goods

2)Β  Odyssey Rossie II Dual Force, I obtained from my Aunt as it was her old putter from the 1990's

3)Β  Odyssey White Ice 330 Mallet

4)Β  Odyssey White Hot XG 2 Ball

5)Β  Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback

6)Β  Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman

7)Β  Taylormade Ghost Spider S

8)Β  Scotty Cameron Select Golo

9)Β  Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

10) Scotty Cameron Studio Select Kombi-S

11) Odyssey Pro Type Tour Series Number 7

12) Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

13) Odyssey Versa 1 Wide

14) Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

15) Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.7

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's almost two a month. Maybe more if you've had any time away due to winter weather. How can you determine what works and what doesn't in that short time? I didn't tally it up but that's easily a couple grand spent on putters. No doubt you've sold a few to fund the purchases on your putter journey.Β Have you ever been in for a fitting?

Dave :-)

Wow. Just Wow.

You sir, are a hoe. And I thought I was bad with iron sets. Although, the flat stick is a very important club, andΒ it is all about confidence and feel. To answer your question, no I'm not a putter hoe. I did just acquire a W/S 8813 though, but it's working great for me and I think I'll be bagging it for a long time.

dak4n6

I thought I'd had my share of putters but I haven't had half that many in the 10 years I've been playing.

Do you keep them all or do you resale them/trade them in?

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment:Β 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5Β°) Β· PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15Β° and 21Β°)Β Β· PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22Β°, 25Β°, and 28Β°) Β· PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) Β·Β Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50Β°, 55Β°, 60Β°) Β·Β Edel Classic BladeΒ Putter (32") Β· Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour Β· Pinned Prism RangefinderΒ Β· Star Grips Β· Flightscope Mevo Β· TRUE Linkswear Shoes Β·Β Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
AnalyzrΒ Pro

I say hoe!Β  I've have several putters (8-10) over the years, but that is like 30 years of playing!Β  I think I have found "the one", a Scotty Cameron Fastback.

CraigΒ 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Maybe you should go the Edel route.... you'll get a putter that you KNOW fits you so you can stop switching back and forth. They aren't exactly the cheapest but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment:Β 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5Β°) Β· PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15Β° and 21Β°)Β Β· PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22Β°, 25Β°, and 28Β°) Β· PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) Β·Β Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50Β°, 55Β°, 60Β°) Β·Β Edel Classic BladeΒ Putter (32") Β· Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour Β· Pinned Prism RangefinderΒ Β· Star Grips Β· Flightscope Mevo Β· TRUE Linkswear Shoes Β·Β Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
AnalyzrΒ Pro

Been a recovering putter addict for four years, I haven't touched another putter since I bought an Edel

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

It's the quickest diagnosis I have ever made...total hoe.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*Β  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100Β 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S |Β Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro PlusΒ Β 

Wow! lots of SC on that list.Β  Has to be over a couple of grand.Β  I have had 3 putters in my entire golfing career.Β  Had a cheap o from walmart when I started at 14 then at 16 I got a Scotty. Used it every since until I just recently bought a new SC.Β  Went with the same head and everything.Β  Just wanted a longer shaft, and heavier head after borrowing one for a day to try out.Β  I would suggest ask to borrow a putter and find a length that you like.Β  Then find a head shape that you like.Β  From there find a putter and play with it for at least 6 months and see how you do.Β  Def go get fitted.

Driver: :tmade:Β R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade:Β R11 3 (15.5 degree)Β & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade:Β R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade:Β ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron:Β 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist:Β ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell:Β Tour V2

Β 

Β 

haha, love the title!

You've got to control your wandering eye! Β Don't let yourself even touch another putter in the store.

Dan

:tmade:Β R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14Β 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron:Β Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by Clambake

Wow!Β Β  You, sir, are a true putter hoe.Β Β Β Β  A ****ty Scotty strumpet.Β Β Β  A brazen Odyssey hussy.Β Β Β  A putter of ill repute.Β Β Β Β Β  A flatstick floozy.Β Β  A Taylormade tramp. Β Β  A trollop who only says YES! Β  Β  A Kombi concubine.

There is probably an addiction program that would help you through this sickness.Β Β Β  Maybe something called "putting lessons"?

Wait, this thread can't go on without everyone recognizing the work of a true genius? This is the funniest thing I've ever read on the forums. "A putter of ill repute"...classic! Way to go Clambake!

I agree, pick one and work with it. Learn to feel that putter head swing. Tape some tees to the face so that you have to hit on the sweet spot every time. If you are on the sweet spot and swinging pure, then the putter might matter.

Why do they call golf "golf"?Β  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Originally Posted by 0ldblu3

Wait, this thread can't go on without everyone recognizing the work of a true genius? This is the funniest thing I've ever read on the forums. "A putter of ill repute"...classic! Way to go Clambake!

He has been recognized ... notice the 4 "thumbs up" reputation points he received for it?

I am just amazed at this.Β  How, or more importantly, why, wouldΒ buy so many putters?Β  I don't get it.Β  Pick one (the aforementioned Edel would be a good choice - or any one of the 15 you already have) and learn to use it.

Maybe you should go the Edel route.... you'll get a putter that you KNOW fits you so you can stop switching back and forth. They aren't exactly the cheapest but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

That might be the biggest understatement of the year. :)

For the record, I putt with a $50 putter that I purchased about 20 years ago.Β  It also happens to be the only putter I have ever bought.Β  I've dabbled occasionally with free putters given or loaned to me, but always come back to my Pal. :)

Yes, I know I have a problem.Β  I guess I have commitment issues too.Β  Obviously I'm not married, but that should surprise nobody.Β  I'm fortunate that I can afford to do this and it is fun.Β  Most important is that I've learned a lot about putting in general and my own putting stroke.Β  I think that there is a lot to be gained from this "trial and error" approach and I feel the same way when it comes to golf lessons as well which was reinforced to me when I went to a place once to check it out.

Maybe a "fitting" would work, maybe it would not.Β  The reason why I've gone through so many putters is finding the right feel.Β  I spend at least 7 hours a week just on my putting and statistically, I see the improvements from the practice in my putting during rounds.Β  I'm averaging just under 34 putts per round for 2013, which is good considering that the rounds I've played have been in very cold weather with greens (even at my country club) that are not in the best shape.Β  For 2012, I averaged 35 putts per round.Β  These putting numbers are actually better than they seem though because I count all putts in a round.Β  Thus my actual putts per round are probably at least 2 putts or more lower than the actual number since I'll have several putts per round from fringe or just off the green.

All of the putters have not been brand new.Β  About half of them or so were purchased used.Β  I have also traded many of them in and sold the others.

Given a few more years you would be a good candidate for the Golf Channel Reality Show, Putter Hoarders...Birdied Alive.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*Β  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100Β 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S |Β Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro PlusΒ Β 

You should either go back to Olney Golf Park for a fitting or the Golf Care Center in Bethesda. Β Bring all your putters with you. Β They can help you figure out which one fits you best and make any adjustments. Β Or, of course, they can sell you a new one. Β Or three.

• Upvote 1

Dan

:tmade:Β R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14Β 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron:Β Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Let me get this straight, you're recommending he buy another putter???

Note:Β This thread is 4043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!