IGNORED

Music, iPod, or Headphones While Golfing

fairwaysngreens
Note: This thread is 4743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went out solo today and thought about it. But didnt have my headhphones with me.

Runing the cord up my shirt wouldnt hinder my swing. I would think?
Maybe next time.

I went out solo today and thought about it. But didnt have my headhphones with me.

it doesnt i do it when im practicing

x

Driver: D1 9.5 stiff (grafalloy blue)
Fairway: 975f 14.5 (stiff)
hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 degree
Iron: 690MB 3-PW (S300 dynamic gold)
Wedge: Vokey RAW 54, 60Putter: studio design 1Ball: ProV1 (or any found balls)Bag: Areo 2 (2.5lb ideal for carrying)Home course:...

I tried but as soon as a rap song came on a huge beat came on when I started my backswing.. well.. I immediatly shut it off.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

As long as it doesn't disrupt. I'll probably be talking crap though hahaha

"You only live twice, this might be your second time."

907D2 8.5degree, UST V2 Stiff
F50 3wood
19degree rescue 3-pw Burner TP 56degree zip wedge, low bounce c56 putterI have PROV1's for sale, contact me!

• 2 years later...

I have mine on at the range all the time, it is so noisy there it blocks out all the people talking and the super loud driver cracks.  I have the volume cranked!!!   I have blue tooth cordless headphone's, when it's cold out they double as ear muffs.  Haven't played with them on, I have to agree would be kind of anti social.  I have had the very unpleasant experience of playing with a 3 some that only spoke Chinese amongst themselves, except when they wanted to ask me something then spoke in English,  if I had them with me I would have put them on, they barely said 2 words to me the whole round.

I use the mp3 player when hitting balls on the range. I do it just because I like listening to the music as I work on my game. For me it has absolutely nothing to do with rythym. I'm out there for +2 hours on the range when I practice so the tunes are just a cool fill in! Give me some Zepplin, Stones, and Randy Rhoads and I can hit balls all day(yes, I'm old,,,lol)!

I never listen to music on the course, that is a time to focus purely on my game.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

• 2 months later...

If I'm playing alone or practicing at the range I'll listen to my ipod, but I like to keep the music the same style (tempo) throughout as change of music style meant I'd speed up or slow down my swing too much. I find it helps me relax and swing smoothly and more consistantly. It stops me thinking too much. Wouldn't use it in a comp though as I do think it would help me relax unfairly and never use it when playing with others as that's just rude.

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

Originally Posted by fairwaysngreens

I have noticed an increased number of young guns listening to their ipod while hitting range balls. Are they doing this for rhythm, to look cool, or what?

Do any of yall do it?

Well, I'd ASSUME they were doing it to just listen to music. I don't know what more of a reason there is. I'm not sure how music would help rhythm
and it's not like headphones instantly make someone look cool.

During practice in high school, sometimes when my team was all on the range and there were no patrons, I would turn on some classical music on a small boombox.

We like music. That's why.

I listen to my iPod 40+ hours a week (probably because I can wear it while I work)

Bottom line, it helps me relax.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Originally Posted by fairwaysngreens

I have noticed an increased number of young guns listening to their ipod while hitting range balls. Are they doing this for rhythm, to look cool, or what?

Do any of yall do it?

I carry a portable Sirius/XM satellite radio receiver with me - I usually just use it to listen to baseball or football games when it's a slow day on the course.

Never played a round with the headphones in.  Never really thought of it.  Maybe when I go to the range next I will try it.  Play with my buddy as a twosome most of the time.  If it is just the two of us, one of us turns our phones on Pandora and lets it play in the cart the whole round.  If we play with anybody else, we turn it off.  I have noticed I play much better when I have music going in the background.  Helps relax me.

We even have a set of the small battery operated speakers.  If I paid money to join a club and have them ban my phone on the course, we would have a problem.  I use my phone for GPS and stat tracking.  The courses I play are usually on the cheaper side as I can't see spending 70 to a 100 bucks for a round of golf.  20 to 40 is about right for me, maybe up to 50 if its a nice course.

My sticks:

Ping I15 irons

Ping G5 hybrid

Ping K15 3 wood

Ping G15 driver

Odyssey Whitice Sabertooth putter with extra large Winn grip

I sometimes use my ipod while I'm at the range. It keeps me from caring about/paying attention to what those around me are doing. I'm only thinking about the drill(s) I'm doing.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It might not be music they're listening to. It could be PGA radio, an audiobook, a podcast, a tv show, a textbook, something related to school, Harvey Penick. Yeah, most likely music, but not always.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I listened to music when I played yesterday because of this thread. It actually made my round more enjoyable b/c I played 1-8 by myself. The music helped me not worry about the logjam I ran in to on #9 when I grouped up with 2 others. I would pull out one of the headphones when on the tee box and the green, so I could hear what any of my playing partners had to say.

My swing was in no way impeded by the headphone cord. I didn't have it tucked in my shirt. Whenever I play by myself, I'll most likely have the tunes going from now on.

I listen when I'm practicing or playing solo.  I don't do it for rhythm or for calming, I just can't stand dead silence.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

Originally Posted by WorkerOfTheBall

Personally I don't believe this would work for me. I feel it would detach me from the environment ....I love the sounds and senses I have on the course ....I think music would interfere with that. Don't get me wrong ..I love music as much as anyone, but I don't think it would help my game.

On another note, I could see how one could listen on a slow day on the course, (e.g. waiting for groups in front of you). But I would think one's tempo could be jeopardized.

I agree with this.  I love music and listen a lot of the time.  But on the course I think it would just feel like yet another thing to block out to try to keep focus.  Haven't tried it on the course but have practicing short game and didn't like it.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 4743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!