IGNORED

Who Is Your All-time Favorite Golfer?

dfreuter415
Note: This thread is 2892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by saturday

I didn't miss that, I'm just saying he's not a constant dick like tiger. Every golfer will have his ups and downs but just that he's more down to earth.

Agree that each golfer will have ups and downs.  And I agree he's probably currently more down to earth.  I'm curious to see how well he deals with 10+ years of top-ranked-player-in-the-world scrutiny though.  It may take it's toll on him.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I guess you missed what Rory did a couple months ago.  His "bad mood" rivaled nearly anything we've seen from a golfer on the course.

Please tell me you're not talking about walking off a course? Its not a good example to set, its rude to lots of people but come on "rivaled nearly anything seen from a golfer on a course"? really.

Spitting at holes, snapping a couple of clubs, being directly rude to fans, busting sprinklers etc etc are all much worse than wandering off the course because of poor play. My personal pet peev is not shouting fore and hoping for a favourable ricochet off the crowd.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Armygolfer4life

Your comment borders on unfair.  Phil definitely spends more time with the fans than most other golfers.  I have seen enough of the press...I avoid at all costs.  Most were RUDE and INTRUSIVE when I played with Tiger or while I was in Afghanistan as a Soldier.

It can't be unfair because it's just a fact. It simply is what it is.

Your opinions of the press are irrelevant in this context.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Please tell me you're not talking about walking off a course? Its not a good example to set, its rude to lots of people but come on "rivaled nearly anything seen from a golfer on a course"? really.

Spitting at holes, snapping a couple of clubs, being directly rude to fans, busting sprinklers etc etc are all much worse than wandering off the course because of poor play. My personal pet peev is not shouting fore and hoping for a favourable ricochet off the crowd.

Oh, I'm absolutely referring to walking off the course AND the mood swings he was having on the course before he walked off.  Yes, really.  He had a bad day and was in a horrible mood and he cursed, beat clubs into the ground, sand, etc, and eventually quit.  Yes, that rivals all but the most extreme golf course behavior, even if it doesn't surpass it.  I stand by the statement.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I think if we are saying that a 23 year old's temper tantrum is amongst the worst things ever seen on a golf course then the game must be played by saints and angels.

Originally Posted by goliver

I would pick a mix:

- the elegance as Ben Hogan

- the skill and strength as Sam Snead

- the power and aggressiveness of Arnold Palmer

- the tenacity of Gary Player

- the technique of Jack Nicklaus

- the coldness of Tom Watson.

- and, as Ben Crenshaw said, “He plays shots I don´t even see in my dreams”

Of course, the one who had it all:    Seve Ballesteros,

... who other could have made the miracle in Medinah?

goliver - I like your concept of a mix. As for Seve, I would characterize him as the ultimate swashbuckler on a golf course.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Bubba's Day Off (ESPN video where Bubba and Friend show up at a local muni and goof around w/ members).

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9130948

Already posted here......

http://thesandtrap.com/t/65960/bubba-and-his-hover-cart

Pretty cool though.  Our local track over here.  Know it well.  Would have been a blast to be there!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Wow, a lot of arguing about two guys that play a game that none of know a thing about. Who cares who talks to the press and others? This is still America ( last I checked) and you have the right to talk to the press or public if you wish or not. I still cannot fathom the public's demand for autographs and such. You have the right to sign them or not to sign them. A player's choice is exactly that. I personally watch golf more intently when Tiger and Phil are in the hunt, they are just that good. I do not know any of them personally, but those are my two favorites to watch.

Originally Posted by jmurder

Wow, a lot of arguing about two guys that play a game that none of know a thing about. Who cares who talks to the press and others? This is still America ( last I checked) and you have the right to talk to the press or public if you wish or not. I still cannot fathom the public's demand for autographs and such. You have the right to sign them or not to sign them. A player's choice is exactly that. I personally watch golf more intently when Tiger and Phil are in the hunt, they are just that good. I do not know any of them personally, but those are my two favorites to watch.

It's a discussion forum ... that's the whole point.  You don't seem to have particularly strong views about players you don't know personally, and I am the same way.  But others aren't, and that is their right.  Nobody's opinion is more correct than anybody elses when it comes to these type of topics.

And I wouldn't say that "this" is America either.  "This" is the internet and there are people on this forum from all over the world.

I like a number of players for different reasons:

Phil – His creativity and courage to go after it. It’s hard not to like him (see the video of him explaining his shot off the cart path at the Cadillac)

Miguel Angel Jimenez – I just like the Mechanic’s personal style and play. If I were a pro hopefully I could be as interesting.

Ernie Els - Being the same size as Ernie I watch his game closely. When I need to slow things down and get my game back on track the last thought of my pre-shot routine is “The Big Easy”.

Tiger – One of the greatest of all time and part of my generation. I feel the same way watching Tiger as generations before might have felt about watching Jack or Arnie come up.

TaylorMade R11 Driver

X-20 Irons

Fusion FT-3 Driver

White Hot XG 9 Putter

I don't know where to put this but......

Sorry Mr. Jacobsen.  It's GOLF, when someone says "Freddie", you won't be the first person we assume they are talking about.

nope

not one bit

Bill - 

Payne Stewart

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

My "All Time Favorite"?

When I marshaled at The Buick Open in Grand Blanc,MI one year, Chi Chi was playing and all of us marshals were told to watch for him because he always had huge crowds. He came to the tee, hit the ball, and we never saw him in the fairway! Where did he go? We started to get worried. Then as the players got closer to the green, there he was, walking along the cart path with about 4 or 5 children tagging along, each carrying one of his golf clubs. They each had the biggest grins I ever saw. He was talking and making everyone laugh. That is a true professional. Always appreciated the fans who supported him.

That's a tough one.  Growing up I always like David Duval, but at the same time I'm a lefty and have to lean towards liking Phil.  Since David Duval is out of the game I'll go with Phil by default

Though he still wrecks many a round , when in the crap Ive got to stop thinking what would Seve do .

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

Note: This thread is 2892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!