IGNORED

My Swing (nevets88)

nevets88

I'd get the shaft to lay down a bit (higher, "less deep" hands will help), but really work on the hips and shoulders being more open. The shaft laying down will keep your path OUTward even if you are rotating more aggressively.

Ah, thanks iacas. By lay down, you mean shallow out from the top?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Ah, thanks iacas. By lay down, you mean shallow out from the top?

Yes, more the green line.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This feels like Jim Furyk to me. Clubhead outside hands @ A2, hands high @ A4. Laying dow n just a tad more maybe? I thought the higher hands would make it happen easily.

This feels more comfortable, less up.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

The second swing was pretty good. Watch the setup a bit - knees a bit saggy, weight a bit back on the heels. But better.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Full follow through - I rarely turn all the way, but I can. Head going back and up around A6. Hands nowhere near thigh at A6, throwing out some speed here I think. Probably need to get those hands going karate chop forward more. I notice when I feel less of the head going up move, I get crisper shots.

Think I'm a bit shallower on the right.

And more open on the left?

Cannot reproduce the left position when going at faster speeds. Sad face... That's a 4 iron on the right, 6 I think on the left.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Still working on getting hands off the chest faster, trying to get hands at P6 more forward of where they are now. Still can't figure out why my head is translating back on the backswing. Straightening right arm too much, throwing out angles from the top I think.

Steve

Head movement in the backswing is because you you don't have enough spinal extension relative to your rotation and side bend. Need to feel the right side of the body stretching out much more -- like you're trying to create as much distance as possible between your right hip and right shoulder. Downswing looks pretty good to me.

Red: Right shoulder movement. Yellow: Left shoulder movement. See how much more Rob's right shoulder has gone back and around as his spine stretches out? And how yours can't do that because you don't release your forward (address) flex?

You would see this best from a rear view. Look at the right shoulder and the glove in the right rear pocket relative to the alignment sticks in this example.

Can you see what I mean about the right side stretching? Your picture would look quite different to this at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Still can't figure out why my head is translating back on the backswing. Straightening right arm too much, throwing out angles from the top I think.

Make some swing with the right side of your head against one of those posts at the range. You'll notice the difference right away and come up with a feel. Like @Stretch said, you'll feel more "stretch".

Would also recommend turning your right foot out to help.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

Head movement in the backswing is because you you don't have enough spinal extension relative to your rotation and side bend.

It might actually be more in the right hip, but it's tough to say from the picture. I'd look at the right hip before I felt too much in the spine.

• Upvote 1

Could be, although from the earlier DTL views in the thread the knee linkage and trail leg/hip action look good to me?

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Thanks to all for the tips. I used to overdo the tilt/left shoulder down, so it's something that I really try and stay away from and maybe that may be influencing me. Also, my backswing thought right now is to get the left shoulder behind the ball, which I'm probably overdoing some aspect of. If I can get the left shoulder behind the ball and keep my head in one place, that would be perfect.

I'll try the post, hip and right shoulder tip and post a rear-on view.

I'm beginning to rethink my philosophy of the importance of impact, there's more to it than just impact, how you get there is key as well.

Steve

• Administrator

Could be, although from the earlier DTL views in the thread the knee linkage and trail leg/hip action look good to me?

I don't think you can accurately tell from that camera view. I'd put a lot more weight on the likelihood of it being more in the right hip joint. The knee can extend without extending the hip joint.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried everything, still can't get rid of the head translating back. Errr, maybe I'm just not flexible? Anyways, doing short, slow and specific here, trying to get the hands closer to the ball at A6.

Steve

I tried everything, still can't get rid of the head translating back. Errr, maybe I'm just not flexible?

2 feels that really helped me with this:

• make sure that you really feel that right side stretching out from A3 onwards, A3 is where I will start to drift back if I'm not careful, maybe do some slow-mo mirror work just from A3 to A4 with that feeling
  • when feeling your left shoulder going down it sometimes help to also feel your right should coming up and around

YMMV but these two thoughts are what solved my key#1 issues, at least for now. ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

2 feels that really helped me with this:

make sure that you really feel that right side stretching out from A3 onwards, A3 is where I will start to drift back if I'm not careful, maybe do some slow-mo mirror work just from A3 to A4 with that feeling

when feeling your left shoulder going down it sometimes help to also feel your right should coming up and around

YMMV but these two thoughts are what solved my key#1 issues, at least for now.

Thanks. Yeah, A3, or just a little before it is where it all starts to go downhill. I'm fine before that.

Steve

Thanks. Yeah, A3, or just a little before it is where it all starts to go downhill. I'm fine before that.

Maybe just try to feel like your head is pushing forward at that point? The stretching of the right side might feel like your head (and upper body) is pushing forward towards the target.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Maybe just try to feel like your head is pushing forward at that point? The stretching of the right side might feel like your head (and upper body) is pushing forward towards the target.

I'll try that. I overdid the shoulder down many moons ago and my head went too forward. A little gun shy of that.

Steve

• Administrator

I tried everything, still can't get rid of the head translating back. Errr, maybe I'm just not flexible? Anyways, doing short, slow and specific here, trying to get the hands closer to the ball at A6.

Don't over-think it - just clean that up at home and work on downswing pieces when you get the chance to hit balls outside.

• Upvote 1