IGNORED

What is your best shot ever played??

tomvk77
Note: This thread is 3412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was playing Eagle Green GC * in Denton, TX.  No. 9 is a 495-yard uphill par 5 with a terraced green. The flag was on the lower terrace, about 3 feet below the terrace shelf.

My drive caught the corner of the rough, and I took a 5W to about 60 yards out, just short of two fairway bunkers. I took a half PW, and landed short of the pin, but the ball released and ran up about 6 feet onto the upper terrace.

A long hitter I was playing with drove farther, and had bounced a 3W shot to the back fringe of the green. He hit a long putt from the back fringe, hit the terrace and rolled all the way to the front fringe.

Seeing this, I took a 7i and decided to hit a bladed chip shot. The ball checked just above the terrace, and trickled over the downslope and into the cup for a birdie.

My last two months in Denton, I played the course eight times. I charted No. 9: I got five bogies and three birdies - never did par it that year.

=====================

* Unfortunately, Eagle Green GC got subdivided about 5 years after I left town.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My only ace holds will always hold a special place in my heart, but my longest hole-out came from 228yds with a 3-iron.   It was a 451yd par4 and I hit a tree with my tee shot....the ball was knocked down and the rest is history!  JARRED IT..........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I was playing 18 holes today. On this particular par 5, I slice driver into water. Driver still went good distance I think... We had been looking for the ball briefly, but it must have gone into water obviously. Anyhow, for my next shot I take the drop, and the lady in our group answers to my inquiry, that the distance is about 195 meters to the green. This was GPS distance.

So, I choose 4-iron for my third shot. I hit a perfect strike, with max power. The ball goes in a perfect line towards the flag...

Except that I overshoot the green by something like 5 meters. So that's 5 meters outside the green, in rough. I'm thinking that the distance to the green, must be to the green's center point. Flag was in center, also, though.

I definitely chose too much club there. There had been another water hazard in front of the green also, but it seems my new yardages are improved with my new swing change, especially the irons. I think a 5-iron would have been  better choice there.

'dat was about 224 yard 4-iron, total distance. (195m to green's center + 5m outside of green +5m green in between)

Then I proceed to thin my chip shot into bunker... then I barely save from bunker... then I proceed to threeputt

But let's not talk about the SCORE... LOL :dance:

My best shot ever was my 2nd from the par 5 9th at Cedar Ridge Golf Course in Gettysburg PA. I'll never forget it. Hit my drive right in the middle of the fairway and I had anywhere from 185-200 to the green. Just as I pulled my 6 iron out of the bag two sprinklers came on just before the green (it was late in the day and the marshal then apologized) so without being able to actually see the green at all I figured if anything I'd come up short so I let it rip. It felt great but I had no clue where it ended up. My partner played his shot and as we drove to the green there was ball, literally 2 inches to the right of the cup. I was flabbergasted. The course owner happened to be sitting on the patio and saw the whole thing. Tapped in for eagle and ever since that day he's recognized me as Mr Eagle. Hence my username :D As a high handicapper this may be the greatest shot I'll ever hit haha
Titleist 910D2 Titleist 910F 19* Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW Top Flite Tour Wedge 56* Cleveland Smart Square Putter

It was a drivable par 4, and I drove the green and made the eagle putt. The putt was about 20 feet, and it was in front of three of my buddies, so it was pretty awesome. That was a few years ago and remains my only eagle :(

I gotta start posting here again since I've made like two posts in the last two years...

-Rich

Best shot was back in the late 90's, par 3 180 yds, slight down hill. Hit a 5i within 10 inches of the hole. That's all I got...lol

My first eagle... Which has yet to happen but I've been close. Don't care if its an ace a two or a three when it happens THAT will be my best shot. Fingers crossed. ;)

Titleist 910 D3, Cobra f speed 3 wood, Cobra f speed 7 wood, Ben hogan 35th anniversary Legend irons 2-E Wilson staff lob wedge, scotty Newport mid slant 2.5. Or 3-sw mizuno tzoid pro 11 blades " Golf is a strange game played by strange people in strange clothes then all of a sudden it's not" rap 2014

I've never had an ace, but I've holed out from over 150 yds 6 or 8 times.......go figure.  Regardless, those, while the result of a good shot, involve as much luck as anything, so I think of something else for the "best shot I've played".

2 come to mind.....

1.  My first time shooting an even par round.  Needed to make a 20 foot putt.  Not a horribly difficult putt, a bit right to left and fairly flat.....but it was for my only even par round in 40+ years of playing golf.  Probably the most pressure I've ever felt on a single putt.  Good firm stroke that snuck in the left center.

2.  Again on 18.  Short sided, buried at the bottom of THICK rough with a deep, big lipped bunker right in front of me.  Pin only about 15 feet on.  We won't talk about the terrible shot that resulted in being there in the first place..... :8) Not a shot you'd ever even try to get close.....put it on the green and accept your likely 2-putt and move on, but I had no choice.  It was the last hole of the match and we were tied, with a couple of presses riding on the hole, and my buddy has 20 feet for birdie.  I HAVE to make 4 at worst, or lose it all.  Wide open lob wedge and a full swing bunker-type explosion shot out of the nastiness.  Flies high, hits, turns over twice and falls into the center of the cup.  Buddy is crushed.....doesn't even come close with his putt to tie.  Damn the beer tasted good after that win!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

My best ever resulted in my only eagle ever.  I hit driver and 3w to reach front bunker on a down hill, 470 yard par 5.  Lip was high (probably 4' or so), and I was just trying to get it on the green.  Hit the perfect bunker shot, ball came out nicely, and dropped..

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Ok - best shot ever.

playing with a friend from work (same round I got my first eagle, though not on that hole -

Hole 3 - Par 4 about 410-430 yards I think.  Slightly uphill and not a lot of trouble except for a tree on the left at the 260-270 yard mark.

Nice drive but a little bit of a pull so, of course, ends up under the branches of that tree - restricted swing.  NOT the best shot ever

I try to punch out low and shank a 6i off to the far right - still 110 yards away.  Green has a ridge across the face and the hole is high and to the left rear.  NOT the best shot ever.

Standing with my friend, I call the next shot to my friend (he's learning, so we discuss our shots).  "I want to try and land this GW about 5 yards to the right and a bit short so it rides that ridge left towards the hole.  Hopefully that will get it close"

Clean hit, it lands "about 5 yards to the right and a bit short" and rolls into the ridge and starts to track left to the hole......and it disappears.

My favorite to date - lucky and called it at the same time.

I played that hole a birdie the hard way, parred the next par 3 and then my first eagle on the next par 5.  Never got to score down 3, 3, 3 before on a 'real' course...yes, I still have that score card.  Saw it yesterday in my 'etc' bin of golf junk.

I hope for a lot more of these in the future.

Bill - 

91 yard SW dunk from the fairway. Never touched the green, dropped right into the hole. Tremendous traj, almost straight up and then straight down. Sight to see. 91 yards is my new goto yardage, so much confidence when the rangefinder reads that number. Choke up and inch and go. Fun.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I've never had an ace, but I've holed out from over 150 yds 6 or 8 times

I once holed out from ~120 on a par 5, but it was after hitting my second shot OB (hit my fourth shot to ~120 out). Not my preferred method of making par, but I'll take it! The green was a bit elevated so I couldn't actually see it hit the green. It was on a perfect line though, and the foursome on the next tee all turned around when it hit the green, so I figured it was a good shot. It's a pretty cool feeling to just walk up to the cup and take your ball out, and not actually have to putt.

The closest I've gotten to an ace was on a short par 3 where I hit the bottom of the flag stick and ended up a foot away from the hole. I did make the birdie putt, though!

-Rich

• 4 months later...

Without a doubt, the  best shot I ever played occurred a few years ago at Peachtree Golf Club in Atlanta. On the 18th hole, presses all accumulated,  I found myself

on the left side of the green 45 feet from the hole. One of our opponents, the club pro, was in front of the green. All I had to do was tie him to win all the presses.

He chipped in from 15 feet off the green  for a three ( birdie).

They started  dancing around ,yelping like they had won the Super Bowl.

I  had to chip in to tie and win.Our opponents were already counting their winnings  as I lined up my shot. My ball was on the left of the green  which sloped down away from me. SO I had to hit my ball at right angles to the cup. Then allow the ball to make a right turn

and proceed down the slope.

I chipped the ball  and it went about 18 feet then took a right turn and went 35 more feet. It went right in the cup. Our opponents went silent. Not a word was said. My partner and I just smiled

and walked towards the clubhouse to collect our winnings.This was not  only  the best shot (especially considering  importance to the match) I have ever made. It is the best shot I have ever

seen by anyone anywhere.

Will R.

It's hard for me to say the best shot Ive ever hit, but I can think of 3 that really made me smile...

The first was at a driving range. I walk along to the centre of the range (so I have a reference to hitting straight/left/right etc) and there's an 'older' guy than myself, at the time, looking at me as I walked up to the bay and started stretching. I'm thinking he's thinking 'look at this idiot stretching' or 'what a street rat' as I was just in a pair of jogging bottoms and a hoody and rock up with a driver, 7 iron and sw. So, I continue to stretch and take a look over at him before I place the first ball on the tee and he's still looking... At this point I'm thinking wtf is he looking at? Anyway, I decide to pick the driver instead of the sw, and blast the first ball dead straight into the back fence, which was probably a minimum 220yd carry. So I look over at him and he quickly puts his head down towards his balls... B-) The next 2 did the same as well.

The second was about a 45ft putt I made when I was in France playing. I was only 17/18 at the time, but had a monster putt as my ball was just on the green and the pin was in the far corner. I say to my playing partners 'take the pin out...' for a laugh and as they're walking up to the flag I just hit the ball after barely lining it up, and it just rolls into the cup as one of them pulls the flag out. Needless to say I tried it again and didn't even get it within 5 ft!

The 3rd is most recent, and I hit a 221yd par 3 in one, landing the ball a little short of the hole and rolling out to about 5-10 ft past it. It wasn't the most spectacular shot by many peoples standards, but to hit the green with a slight fade over a tree (yes, off the tee you have to hit over a tree!) with a 5i I was pleased with. Even if i did miss the putt for birdie, but hey, that's golf.

Rob - London, England

:nike: VRS Covert Tour 2.0 Driver

:nike: VRS Covert Tour 2.0 3 Hybrid

:nike: VRS Forged Irons

:titleist: Pro V1

Best shot recently was on a par 3 of about 175 yards, from an elevated tee the pin is tucked in a right hand finger of the green with a fast left to right slope, I hit 7 iron just over the trap that hugs the whole right side of the green and the ball checked about 5 feet left of the pin and started it's trickle to the right I was told it rolled right over the back edge of that cup by the group in front and stopped about 5 feet below the cup, made the putt for bird.

Another some years back I put my second shot on a par 5 in the greenside bunker in the very top, I basically had to stand with one foot in and one out plus it was wet sand, I blasted out perfect the ball still had a chunk of dirt on it so it rolled tha thump tha thump right in the cup.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Since I never had a hole out from the fairway or Hole in One. I would say my best shot would have been this one,

300 yard par 4, probably 245 yards to the front of the green. The tee's were on the right side of that tee box, and trees on the right block a straight shot to the green. I hit a huge cut 3 wood that curved about 70-80 yards and ended up about 5-10 yards short of the green. Pulled off the shot I exactly envisioned.

Normally I wouldn't play this shot, but we were in a scramble. Two of the other golfers in my group already put the ball near the creek with an easy sub 100 yards shot in.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I holed a 4 iron for double eagle, but it really wasn't that hard of a shot, just got lucky with how it released.

A lot of memorable shots seemed to happen in match play.

I once hit a cut 5 wood(190ish) out of a fairway bunker to a back right pin on a  double tier green to about 4 feet. I made the birdie and it really shook up the opposition.

Playing a par 3 at Chester Valley, can't remember the hole # but its slopes severely from back to front. I hit my tee shot pin high right. The putt I had was 20 feet or so and I played 15-20 feet of break in this putt.  I almost putted it to the top of the green and then it just got in the slot  rolled all the way down and trickled in. That shook 'em up

I once holed a twisting 10 footer for my team to win $100 a man scramble

Note: This thread is 3412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!