IGNORED

losing your game?

Note: This thread is 6104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I was wondering, is there such thing as losing your game?
It seems to have happened in the past month or two, where my iron play has gone from my best part of my game, to a truly awful part of my game?
Is it due to a lack of confidence or is there some other reason for this?
Thanks.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

Every golfer has his ups and downs. There's days where one day you can't break 150, and another you'll be on your A game and shoot the round of your life. It really comes and goes.

What's the problem with your iron play? Hitting it off the toe, hitting it thin, shanking it, or what? If it's all over the place then a lesson may be in order to find out what's going on, but if it's one particular miss over and over again, that can usually be fixed easily.

I was in a slump for most of the spring - spending three months in the hospital will waste away your muscles to nothing - so I struggled to get back to where I was last year, and finally have done so, more or less, but it took a long time.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I know what you mean. i just a post up about an hour about this. it feels like i'm in the movie space jam and some alien stole my talent. thats the best i can describe it.

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6624

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

even pros have an off day or week!
It will pass.

In the Wilson Stand Bag

Driver:........Ping........G5 Reg shaft
3 Wood:......Mitsushiba.........M575-15°

Irons:.........Taylormade RocketBallz......3 Hybrid - PW..Stiff Shafts

Wedges:....Cleveland CG16 56 & 60

I know exactly what you mean. I was playing great up until about a month ago. I was at the range one day and just started hitting terrible iron shot after terrible iron shot. It's been in my head for the past 3 weeks. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me!! I think it's mostly mental but have no idea how to fix it. I know that doesn't help you at all, but at least you know you are not alone.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

Yea, I definitely know where you're coming from. I just got out of a slump where every iron shot headed at a 45* angle to the right in regards to where I was aiming with a tailing slice. It seemed easy to cure, but was not. I was horrid for a long time, went from consistently shooting low 90s (irons were best part of game) to not breaking 105. I can't speak specifically about your case, but for me a mental problem turned into overcompensating in my swing, which then led to a mechanical issue along with the demons in my head .

Again, I don't know what you're having trouble with, but for me one thing that really helped was to approach the ball, no waggling, no looking around, NO THINKING, and just take a pretty hard swing. This led to some straight shots to greens, some confidence, and eventually better iron play. I'm now back to where I was, although it did take a few weeks and a grip change. Doubt this helps lol, but I felt compelled to share and you're definitely not alone.

Driver: R7 Quad 8.5°
3 wood: A10
Hybrid: 20° DWS Baffler
4-GW: FP Irons
SW: 06 Big Bertha 56°LW: A10 60° Putter: White Steel 2-ball

For me, it's been my driver. I still have my distance (250-260) but it goes right like CRAZY. With help from my coaches, I've figured out my problem and it's swinging better then ever (still need to buy a stiffer shaft). But they also changed my stance and grip. But give it time, it will pass.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

Yea, I definitely know where you're coming from. I just got out of a slump where every iron shot headed at a 45* angle to the right in regards to where I was aiming with a tailing slice. It seemed easy to cure, but was not. I was horrid for a long time, went from consistently shooting low 90s (irons were best part of game) to not breaking 105.

I'd hate to be the bringer of bad news but it seems you have a case of

el hosel . You know, the S-word.

2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I think this is why NO ONE will ever perfect the game. Its also what keeps us coming back for more. A horrible round will push me to play more and go to the range even more than usuall to try and fix the problem. And a great round, well, that hasn't happened to me yet, but a decent round will do the same thing to me.
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

I'd hate to be the bringer of bad news but it seems you have a case of

Haha, so true. I've almost corrected things, it is so related to confidence. The other day I hit a perfect drive on the first tee and ended up shooting a 41 after my nine (par 35) despite one shank, and one tee shot that went about 20 yards lol. So it depends, but I still mess up with my irons and shank one at least once a round, which tells me I haven't corrected things YET (someday hopefully).

Driver: R7 Quad 8.5°
3 wood: A10
Hybrid: 20° DWS Baffler
4-GW: FP Irons
SW: 06 Big Bertha 56°LW: A10 60° Putter: White Steel 2-ball

For me, it's been my driver. I still have my distance (250-260) but it goes right like CRAZY. With help from my coaches, I've figured out my problem and it's swinging better then ever (still need to buy a stiffer shaft).

Unless you're left handed a stiffer shaft will likely make you go even more right.

And to the OP, welcome to golf! Chris
What's in the bag?
Taylormade R7 Superquad
TaylorMade Burner 3W & 5W
Hogan Edge Hybrid 21*
Mizuno MX20 4-PWCleveland 588 GW & CG10 SWOdyssey 2-Ball Center ShaftTitleist NXT Tour

Hey guys, I was wondering, is there such thing as losing your game? It seems to have happened in the past month or two, where my iron play has gone from my best part of my game, to a truly awful part of my game? Is it due to a lack of confidence or is there some other reason for this? Thanks.

Work more on putting chipping and pitching, then two things should happen:

1. You will be very confident over approach shots, knowing you'll make par no matter what. 2. Your irons will improve. Chipping and pitching practices makes your full swing better for two reasons: you can't consistently chip well without a flat left wrist at impact. You can't hit consistent irons without a flat left wrist. Also, the pressure will be off your irons so you'll hit them better.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

• 2 weeks later...
Yup the passed 2 weeks I have not hit my driver. Usually the best part of my game, making over 80% of fairways, with the driver.

All of a sudden *for no reason* I now duck hook it, and it only goes about 150 yards. I am swinging to fast, and my shoulder's are turning too fast, and my head is moving all over the place.

I started to hit my 5 wood off the tee, and discovered it goes on average the same distance as my driver.

But I now have started hooking that too. The passed 3 weeks I am averaging 90, my handicap has gone from 9 to 11.

Just today I hit my driver half decent, by slowing to what I feel is WAY TOO SLOW (but it's not)

I need a lesson.

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Stock Stiff
5 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Aldila NV Stiff
7 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Stock Steel
4-PW: TaylorMade R7XD Stock Stiff Steel48* Wedge: Callaway Forged52* Wedge: Founders Club60* Wedge: Founders ClubPutter: Odyssey DFX 6600Balls: Titleist ProV1 & DT SoLo

I'm in a slump right now, and it seems I have one every summer. I don't mind though, because I always come out of slumps, a better player. It forces me to hit the range and work on my game.

Driver: Titleist 907D1
3W: 906F2 15
5W: Cobra SZ HS
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 21
Irons: Taylormade Rac LT2 Wedges: Vokey SM 52 + 56 Putter: Some old piece of crap

I'm never in a longer-term slump, but there are days where the wheels fall off my game. Last time that happened, I couldn't hit the ball to save my life - carded in a 61 for 9 holes, and decided to call it a day to nurse my battered and bruised ego.

Without fail though, there's at least one part of my game that always lets me down. If my driving's good, my iron play is bad. If my iron play is on fire, I can't make a putt. And if I can putt, I'm spraying my drives into the wrong area codes.

Currently my biggest issue is duck-hooking the driver - I do that five or six times a round, and it's just throwing away strokes. That's followed by inconsistent ballstriking (I have more than my share of absolute duffs in the middle of the fairway), lag putting, and sand play. I can get the ball out of fairway traps with no problem, I can chip out of sand, I can even putt out of sand. Hell, I'm better with a putter out of a greenside trap than any of my wedges.

idk whats up with my game right now. my irons were going to hell and yesterday they were fine. shot a 43 back nine (par36) but couldn't putt for sh*t. driver seems to be going to hell right now as well. idk

In my stand Bag:

R7 Superquad 10.5* Fujikura REAX 65-S
Hi-Bore XLS 19* Hybrid Dynamic Gold S300
MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

I have found that when going through some swing problems to the extent where the dreaded "S" virus pops up, I've learned to just take a few days off. Its hard because I do play every day either a round or practice but when I've stepped away for a few days and return with a basic swing thought. Everything falls back into place.

I've also found that the Inside Approach is a big help (for me anyway) to fixing any swing flaw. If you dont have access to a Pro for lessons, its a very helpful training tool.

What's in my bag
Driver: Callaway FT- I 9 degree Tour Stiff Fujikura Speeder Shaft
3 Wood: King Cobra LD F-Speed 15 degree Stiff flex
Hybrids: Nickent 4 (23 degree) & 5 (26 degree)
Irons: Callaway X-20's (PW thru 6) Uniflex shaftGap Wedge: Cleveland Tour Action 52 Sand Wedge: Cleveland CG 10 56 degrees

Note: This thread is 6104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!