IGNORED

Verizon Rant

dak4n6
Note: This thread is 3915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's getting to the point where I would rather walk into a car dealership than a Verizon store.

My son's cell phone firmware got stuck so that when he turns it on it just cycles endlessly through the intro pages. This happened about 6 mo ago, and since it was under warranty they wiped it clean and re-installed the OS. This time it was out of warranty but the rep said that he has a "free" upgrade coming.

So I ask to see the "free" upgrade phones, and she starts showing me the phones that would cost $$ saying how much better they are. So I steer her back to the "free" phones, and then she starts playing dirty, asking my son what he would like. I steer her back and she shows us 3 "free" phones. I pick one, and then comes the $30 upgrade fee. $30 does not sound "free" to me. So I'm like whatever, I just want to get the f*ck out of there by now, and then comes the "to get the "free" upgrade, you have to buy an accesories package for $60". I said, "What??? I'm dropping $90 here, that doesn't sound very "free" to me." She just shrugged her shoulders and said that if I bought a more expensive phone I wouldn't have to buy an accessories package.

WTF is this bullsh!t? Then of course came the hard sell for the insurance. I remember going through pretty much the same sh!t when I added my wife to my account. I'm already paying $250/mo for two cell lines and one internet line. That's a f*cking car payment. I felt like just handing her my debit card and telling her to have Verizon just take whatever they feel they need to make their bottom line. These big telecom companies are getting f*cking ridiculous...

• Upvote 2

dak4n6

Well said, I agree. I have been thinking about changing to one of the pay as you go companies like straighttalk or net 10. I'm so tired of contracts......

Originally Posted by Midway

Well said, I agree. I have been thinking about changing to one of the pay as you go companies like straighttalk or net 10. I'm so tired of contracts......

That's what I did... I went with Virgin Mobile. I got a decent Android phone (HTC One X) for $100 and pay $35/mo. That gives me unlimited data and text and 300 minutes, which is more than enough because I really don't talk on my cell phone too much. For me and my wife it comes to $70 each month as opposed to roughly $140 we were paying for our Sprint service. The phone isn't quite as nice but it works just fine. I really do want an iPhone but I can't justify the added cost.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OP... I feel the same about our Cable.  I'm paying $200+ a mo for Cox cable + Internet.  We are moving next week, and I'm going to go back to DirecTv (we don't have line of sight in our current apartment - thus why I don't have them now)... But looking at the breakdown with DirecTV - I'm still going to be in the $200/mo range when it's all said and done.

Big Telecom/Communication/Broadcasting companies #ape and pillage.

Everything's expensive, and you get what you pay for. Don't want an expensive phone bill, then don't have a phone or get a cheap phone like Tristan. If you think cable is too expensive then try and remember that local channels are free.

Personally I like Verizon, but I also don't go into the Verizon store with the only intention of spending as little money as possible. I like my iPhone 5 and I realize I will pay a little more for the service.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Originally Posted by NM Golf

Everything's expensive, and you get what you pay for. Don't want an expensive phone bill, then don't have a phone or get a cheap phone like Tristan. If you think cable is too expensive then try and remember that local channels are free.

Personally I like Verizon, but I also don't go into the Verizon store with the only intention of spending as little money as possible. I like my iPhone 5 and I realize I will pay a little more for the service.

What are the alternatives when your phone breaks out of warranty (like a month after the waranty expires of course - don't even get me going about my conspiracy theories on that one)?

It's just that I recognize these low-life sales tactics and I think they are demeaning and insulting esp when I am already being reamed on my monthly service.

dak4n6

I work in Telecom - landline not wireless, and I know what you are talking about, extra fees, hidden charges etc. That being said some of that crap is from the government(taxes & fees).  I work and receive service from the company I work for and I can't even hardly read the damn bill. Customer service for these large Telecom/Cable companies sucks because they have so much turnover. I catch sh*t everyday while out doing installs/repairs but the complaints are well warranted.

On the cell phone issue. I have friends that have bought phones off ebay which by-passes having to re-up your contract. I am doing this as soon as my current contract is up. It sucks to have to sign for 2 years everytime I want/need a new phone. Also have seen some of the larger cell carriers are starting to have a pay-as-you-go type service as well.

I have stories about Verizon worked at GTE then Verizon for 13 years don't even get me started. Was in distribution working on the computer systems trained all the EC as well at Canadian Tell folks. I have story's!

I can say there wireless is the best out there, I know I travel a lot to the EC as well as my wife is in Texas traveling for a lot of years. You get what you pay for that is for sure but to deal with them and there prices are high and the people in the stores are less then adequate being nice here.

You can also no longer get unlimited text and data plans from them they have teared pricing for this because they know they can make more money.

There warranty you have to fill out all these forms I hope they told you that the replacement is not free. If still on a new warranty they give you a replacement that is reconditioned it is not new.

My family still has Verizon I use my company phone from sprint but we still pay over $200 for the three.

Regarding free phones or discounted phones you still have to pay the tax on the suggested retail value so if you get a suggested retail value phone that is $500 and you only pay say $99.99 you still pay tax on the $500. If the phone is free and sugged retail was $500 you still pay tax on the $500.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

If you check Verizon's website they have used phones and cheaper phones than you will find if you walk into the store.   Check out their website before you buy a phone.

I am one of the few that are still grandfathered into the unlimited plan.   When I have to change the plan or a phone, I will seriously look around for a new carrier.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

A few years ago I had my phone die on me, post-warranty, with a few months to go before I was up for a renewal. I ended up buying a cheapo $50 flip phone and just lived with it for a while. When I got my iPhone 5 I bought Apple Care. The extra $100 wasn't fun to fork over, but I get two years of coverage, including two accidental damages (with a neat $50 surcharge, of course). It's been rock-solid so far even though the case I use is pretty minimal, but it's nice to know that I can get a new one if needed. Plus, it helps that once my contract is up and I can buy a new one, I'll be able to recoup a lot of that cost by trading the phone in. Going through phone after phone that became still-functioning bricks less than two years after I paid several hundred dollars for them got old, fast. Also, FWIW, I generally try to avoid salespeople. I make sure to educate myself on whatever I'm buying, so that, unless they have a deal that completely blows me away, I know I'll leave the store with exactly what I want.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Also, FWIW, I generally try to avoid salespeople. I make sure to educate myself on whatever I'm buying, so that, unless they have a deal that completely blows me away, I know I'll leave the store with exactly what I want.

This is something I try to do also. I don't like being upsold and just get everything over and done with. You can probably do the salesperson a favor anyway by saving their breath and not blurt out all their sales jargon and benefits.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

if you live in a place where cows outnumber people it wont work, but I pay $120/month for 2 lines of everything unlimited with T-mobile (they do not do contracts anymore - you just are not getting a free phone)

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by dennyjones

If you check Verizon's website they have used phones and cheaper phones than you will find if you walk into the store.   Check out their website before you buy a phone.

I am one of the few that are still grandfathered into the unlimited plan.   When I have to change the plan or a phone, I will seriously look around for a new carrier.

I was too wait to, but when you have to get a new phone and renew your contract thay do not offer this any longer. We just went to the store a few weeks ago and was told that. Now they get you, I beleive the family gets 5 gig somthing like that of txt and data but with two teenagers they really have to watch what they are doing out side the house. Once in the house they auto connect to our wireless set up that it does not count against the usage.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

I've had most of the big cell companies over the years and Verizon is by far the best. I will say that the in store sevice is pretty bad only becasue they try to nickle and dime you like crazy but these days who dosen't? I still had my unlimited plan from years ago but once we went from I-Phone to Galaxy S3 last year we lost the unlimited. I was pissed but it turns out we're now paying less each month and my wife and I dont even use half of our alloted data each month. Right now we have 4 GB's and turns out thats plenty for both of us. It's pretty nice also that my job offers a 27% discount off my bill every month.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

dak, what kind of phone is it?  I may be able to help you resuscitate it.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• 3 weeks later...

I have a company phone, so I am 100% for sure going the no contract or pay as you go route when my wife's VZW contract is up in January. I think you can even move an iPhone to some of them now.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted by dak4n6

Quote:

Originally Posted by NM Golf

What are the alternatives when your phone breaks out of warranty (like a month after the waranty expires of course - don't even get me going about my conspiracy theories on that one)?

It's just that I recognize these low-life sales tactics and I think they are demeaning and insulting esp when I am already being reamed on my monthly service.

What is wrong with your phone now? I am a bit of a phone geek too and can probably get the one you have working again if it is starting up at all. The other option is to buy an unlocked phone outright on ebay or from tigerdirect. They are not as confusing as they seem.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 3915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!