Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dkling8

A Physics Puzzle - Uphill vs. Downhill Putts

35 posts in this topic

So I was thinking about the difference between uphill, level, and downhill putts. I found this paper , and decided to make a quick simulation. You give it stimp, grade, and putt speed, and it finds the rollout of your putt.

Here's the puzzle:

I'm on a green where my level putt rolls 12ft, and my 4% grade uphill putt rolls 7.5 ft. How far does the same putt go if it's hit down the 4% grade???

Hint: the stimp is 12 (Augusta National?).

Initial Speed % Grade Rollout of Putt
6 ft/s Level 12 ft
6 ft/s 4% Uphill 7.5 ft
6 ft/s 4% Downhill ???

Any guesses?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

It's all about gravity, size of ball, friction of the grass, temperature and humidity, angle of the dangle, and so forth. And about 11 feet past the hole, there you will find the ball.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

19.5 feet

Too lazy to look it up.....can you show your work?  Thks!

College physics was a loooooong time ago.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12ft + 7.5ft = 19.5ft

No idea what the answer is, just trying to throw out what seems to me a logical possible answer to the question.  The uphill putt stopped 4.5 feet short of the hole.  So I assumed the downhill putt wouldn't stop 4.5 feet past the hole, it must be more because of the downhill.  I didn't think it would go double the distance, so I just added the two lengths of the other two putts. IDK

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much grain?  Which way is the grain?  Most of the time the grain will lean downhill, thus increasing the speed of the downhill putt even as it kills the pace on the uphill putt.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If a putt goes 7.5 feet uphill, and goes 12 feet on level ground. Then that is a 4.5 feet difference. Since potential energy is the same, downhill versus uphill, if you hit the same initial speed, your looking at the putt going 16.5 feet.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hmmm...4% grade. 12 on the Stimp. Hit the putt with the same force as a 12 foot level putt.

Answer: Until it hits the fringe or the rough on the other side of the green (however far away that might be). Ha ha!

Calculated from hole number 4 at the course in Trenton Ga. Probably about a 4% grade that if you hit the ball hard enough to go a foot on level ground you might as well go back to the bag and get your wedge for the next shot, because you're not going to be putting. If you just touch the ball enough to move it an inch you might get lucky and only have a 5 footer back up the hill for the next putt.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the USGA: "Physical Qualities of the Green The USGA suggests that at least a 2-foot radius surrounding the hole “should be as nearly level as possible and of uniform grade.” The hole shouldn’t be placed on a steep slope on which a missed putt from above the hole will roll a long distance past the cup. “ A player above the hole should be able to stop the ball at the hole ,” according to Rule 15-3(iii). Additionally, the hole shouldn’t be located on a former hole’s spot until the old location has healed completely." Of course there are diabolical greenskeepers who thrive on torturing the players. So to the OP, it should stop AT the hole.... IF you hit it on line- it will stop at the bottom of the cup. If not, work on your putting. :-D
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uphill you have two things stopping the ball. Gravity and Friction. Without friction it would eventually stop and come back the other way.

Downhill only friction is acting on it. Obviously without friction it would roll forever much as it does at the Masters at times.

The point is it will not roll past the hole downhill the same distance it stopped short uphill.

Don't have the exact numbers right now. I'd have to dust off my slide rule. Who am I kidding, I mean my TI-86.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 feet

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Stimpmeter downhill, St(dn)

St(dn) = 0.82 ft / (CF - sin Φ cos Φ)

12ft St CF = 0.82 / 12

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by MS256

Hmmm...4% grade. 12 on the Stimp. Hit the putt with the same force as a 12 foot level putt.

Answer: Until it hits the fringe or the rough on the other side of the green (however far away that might be). Ha ha!

Calculated from hole number 4 at the course in Trenton Ga. Probably about a 4% grade that if you hit the ball hard enough to go a foot on level ground you might as well go back to the bag and get your wedge for the next shot, because you're not going to be putting. If you just touch the ball enough to move it an inch you might get lucky and only have a 5 footer back up the hill for the next putt.

You say that jokingly, however, I don't think you are that far off.  When I took my Aimpoint class I learned that 4% is basically the steepest a green can be where a ball will sit.  Anything steeper than that and you have "rolloff."  I have no idea what the actual answer is, but I would suspect it is way higher than any of the answers given so far.

I also think that there is not enough info to get the answer.  Like Hendog said, gravity and friction are the only outside forces acting on it after the putter hits it.  I think we need to know the friction factor of the green to figure it out.

My wild guess ... 45 feet.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS256

Hmmm...4% grade. 12 on the Stimp. Hit the putt with the same force as a 12 foot level putt.

Answer: Until it hits the fringe or the rough on the other side of the green (however far away that might be). Ha ha!

Calculated from hole number 4 at the course in Trenton Ga. Probably about a 4% grade that if you hit the ball hard enough to go a foot on level ground you might as well go back to the bag and get your wedge for the next shot, because you're not going to be putting. If you just touch the ball enough to move it an inch you might get lucky and only have a 5 footer back up the hill for the next putt.

You say that jokingly, however, I don't think you are that far off.  When I took my Aimpoint class I learned that 4% is basically the steepest a green can be where a ball will sit.  Anything steeper than that and you have "rolloff."  I have no idea what the actual answer is, but I would suspect it is way higher than any of the answers given so far.

I also think that there is not enough info to get the answer.  Like Hendog said, gravity and friction are the only outside forces acting on it after the putter hits it.  I think we need to know the friction factor of the green to figure it out.

Seems like we should be able to calculate friction since it's the only unknown in the uphill putt scenario. I.e., gravity is a constant, % grade is a constant (at least we're assuming it is), and we know initial speed and total distance - so we have an algebra equation with friction as the only unknown. Also, friction is basically stimp, which has been given.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A flat 12' putt on stimp 12 goes 12 feet. According to the AimPoint app a 12 foot putt needs to be hit with 20.7 feet of speed (equivalent to flat ground) to go 12 feet. Ditto for the downhill putt, 4.5 feet. Stimp 12 is pretty fast, and 4% is pretty steep.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Interesting... we have answers ranging from 16.5 ft to ball-rolls-forever.

I had this idea because I recently realized how I always go long on downhill putts, but I'm rarely short on uphill putts. It not obvious to me how much I need to change my stroke for an uphill putt vs a downhill putt, as compared to a straight putt of the same length.


I posted this as a fun experiment so people could give a general guess as to what as to what an steep-ish Augusta green might do. I linked the paper, so anyone could work it out if they really wanted to, but that wasn't really the intent. Maybe I'll wait til tonight to post the simulation result.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Is there a conveyor belt involved?

Why, yes. Actually I forgot to mention this "green" is inside the cabin of a lifting off 747!

Originally Posted by Fourputt

How much grain?  Which way is the grain?  Most of the time the grain will lean downhill, thus increasing the speed of the downhill putt even as it kills the pace on the uphill putt.

The equations assume grain has no effect...I'm just going by what the simulation spits out.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I also think that there is not enough info to get the answer.  Like Hendog said, gravity and friction are the only outside forces acting on it after the putter hits it.  I think we need to know the friction factor of the green to figure it out.

Like sacm3bill said, everything you need to know about friction should be wrapped up in stimp. When you roll the ball down the stimpmeter on flat ground, it goes 12 feet. That tells you how much friction there is.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • Didn't know if I could mention it by name, but we know who. Many people share this experience.They promise a check instead of credit to use. Send in my clubs 2 months ago. They were accepted and approved 6 weeks ago. I emailed about the check 2 weeks ago. "Oh, it's on the way tomorrow".  I will call tomorrow.  However, they either have a cash flow problem, or they wait to sell your clubs before paying you out.  Said to see because the umbrella companies are awesome. Just be honest and tell me it may take two months
    • Here in USA, the KBS Tour S-flex shafts go for about $27 each new. If you get AP2 714 model, a 4-PW (?) reshaft would require $189 + tax to get shafts. Add $15 per club for shaft swap, and $10 per for new grips, and it's about $365 + tax. The KBS Tour stiff would be a few grams lighter and slightly stiffer than the S300 which often come as stock for the AP2. OTH is on target, consider this too.
    • I had a big long post going and lost it. The game of golf has only one set of rules per continent. The equipment used is well defined as far as legal, or illegal. The other sports you mentioned are dealing more with different age groups, physical sizes, and skill levels. Sure, golf has players of all ages, sizes, and skill levels too. Golf also has one set of rules, and one playing field with differences in length. Difference is baseball has tee ball. Football has different leagues based on age groups, and it's the same  for basketball. These sports cater to the needs of their players based on their age groups, and skill levels. This also includes the playing fields, and equipment they use. So in that respect I have no problem with what other sports are doing. 
    • 2/23: Feeling encouraged. I think I've got the (worse than usual) weight-shift/head movement mystery solved, or at least "identified" with a much better understanding of it (and a confirmation that it's always been there ). Getting better at the process I think...(1) noticing a problem but not knowing the why, (2) Slowing down and checking keys 1-3, and (3) "going back to my first lesson" so to speak by reviewing old video and my swing posts, and slowly "backing up" from the problem to try and identify the (chain of) cause(s). Today's practice: 10 minutes of good ol' wall drill, with original focus of getting my right hip away from the wall but with added attention paid to my upper body and (actually getting some) secondary axis tilt. Several slow and medium-speed reps of this pausing for feel and thinking about and practicing how I'd transition into the downswing. Then 6-8 minutes outside... Just two "reps" of 3-4 minutes slow-motion back- and downswings (hip, axis tilt, weight shift (and resulting proper better club path ) and then an easy-swing full shot with my 56o. So I only hit two shots and both were perfect, high draws.
    • Cobra Bio Cell + set at 15 degrees I am very confident with this club.  My 4 iron goes about 190 and my 3h goes 200-210.  Anything more than that (in the 220-230 range) is this club.  I have hit some very accurate shots with it and feel very comfortable with it.  In the first round this season, I have plopped one from 225 out within 15 feet from the pin.  I may change my driver this year but I get the feeling this club along with my hybrid (also a Bio Cell +) will be around for a long time
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. bluebaws82
      bluebaws82
      (35 years old)
    2. g30rg35m1th
      g30rg35m1th
      (17 years old)
    3. Otis2014
      Otis2014
      (54 years old)
    4. Phil Marsh
      Phil Marsh
      (46 years old)
    5. SMOOTH1
      SMOOTH1
      (55 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon