IGNORED

Long Putter are you going to stop using it? If so when?

inthecup
Note: This thread is 3954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As long as it's legal, it's legal.  Picking on close personal friends is, of course, a different situation, but I can think of only one person I know that anchors.  Once anchoring is no longer legal I'll still not say a thing unless there is some sort of actual competition going on, and even then I would be more inclined to point out what I perceived as an infraction to the powers that be than to confront a fellow competitor.  I don't complain if somebody takes a mulligan when everyone's out having fun and drinking a couple of beers on a sunny afternoon, what do I care what kind of putter they whip out?

In fairly short order this will become a non-issue anyway.  Now the clubs are illegal the manufacturers won't be making them and I would expect that most of the tour pros will be more than willing to use the clubs their sponsors want them to help promote, no matter the stand of the PGA.  The PGA is important, but it is not the tail that wags the dog.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Originally Posted by meenman

While I dont agree with any of your views, I do believe if they were going to ban one form of anchoring, it all should have gone.

Since I am pretty sure you were not around when the game was invented, you really have no idea how it was *meant* to be played.

I guess we could go back to wooden clubs and featheries. Ha ha!

I have no opinion on anchoring one way or the other. If I thought it would be to my advantage I would have already been doing it.

It is a shame that they didn't close that door a long time ago, if they were ever going to close it, before so many people learned to putt that way.

Originally Posted by PirateJim

In fairly short order this will become a non-issue anyway.  Now the clubs are illegal the manufacturers won't be making them and I would expect that most of the tour pros will be more than willing to use the clubs their sponsors want them to help promote, no matter the stand of the PGA.  The PGA is important, but it is not the tail that wags the dog.

Yet again, it must be repeated - The clubs are not illegal! They are not going to be illegal.  Stop trying to perpetuate this myth.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can tell you one thing. The people that putt with these strange looking putters look dumb. I am sorry but that is how I see it.  I wish they would have banned them years ago.    I think many of these tour players will have to take up fishing or something when the ban takes place. I hate it for a few who know nothing else. Some have played with these strange putters since taking up the game. I also see more heckling coming when players continue to use these until the ban. I say start the ban now and not wait. I have tried the long putter and belly putter. I could not get over the fact on how stupid it looked to be putting with one. The yips is something you have to deal with. When the yips take over your golf game then its time to move on to something else in life

Originally Posted by jerkputter

I can tell you one thing. The people that putt with these strange looking putters look dumb. I am sorry but that is how I see it.  I wish they would have banned them years ago...

I’m pretty sure this thread pertains to people who currently like using an anchored putting stroke and what they plan to do when this ban takes place three years from now. Not more piling on to why it should be banned, looks ugly, etc. There are hundreds of pages of that elsewhere if you care to join in.

For me, I’ll continue to use my belly putter until 2016. It’s my favorite way to putt and see no reason to shorten my enjoyment. At that point, I’m not sure. Probably toy with the forearm anchor putter (I have yet to see one in any golf shop) or simply go back to a standard putter with a non-anchored stroke.

Look, I’m a 10 handicap and obviously don’t make a living at golf and it won’t be the end of my world. Will the ruling make the game less enjoyable to me? Certainly.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I'm curious as to other than the players that compete in USGA events, how many weekend golfers will actually give up their long putters. These same golfers don't follow the rules anyway, poor drops for out of bounds, take gimme's inside the leather, move the ball if they don't have a perfect lie, so what's difference would it make if they use a long putter?

I used a belly putter last season and when I went to it because I was struggling with my putting. It helped most of the year, made a bunch of putts. But, starting out this years was a different story and now I'm back playing a 35" putter and back making putts.

Originally Posted by jerkputter

I have tried the long putter and belly putter. I could not get over the fact on how stupid it looked to be putting with one.

Oh sure, blame the putter,

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Yet again, it must be repeated - The clubs are not illegal!  They are not going to be illegal.  Stop trying to perpetuate this myth.

My deepest apologies.  Fourputt is quite correct, the clubs themselves are not illegal, it is only going to be against the rules to use them as designed.

I will try to restate more correctly.  It is my belief that now that the use of these clubs as designed (anchored) will become illegal under the rules, very few people will find any reason to wish to own a club that would (in my sole opinion) be rather awkward when not used as originally designed and offer little or no advantage over more conventional clubs.  Therefore, again in my opinion, club makers are quite likely to drop the designs from their product lines.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I guess now we will have controversy over whether a club was anchored or not. Somebody will see on TV that the putter or the hand holding it was touching the body and call it in, and the player will claim it was actually 1/16 inch away from the body.

Originally Posted by PirateJim

I will try to restate more correctly.  It is my belief that now that the use of these clubs as designed (anchored) will become illegal under the rules, very few people will find any reason to wish to own a club that would (in my sole opinion) be rather awkward when not used as originally designed and offer little or no advantage over more conventional clubs.  Therefore, again in my opinion, club makers are quite likely to drop the designs from their product lines.

Well if it's true that, as many have claimed, the long putters help golfers with bad backs because their use allows the golfer to not bend over so much, then it seems those golfers would continue to use long putters.  They'd have to move their hand a slight distance away from their body in order to not be anchoring, but that doesn't affect the posture at all. So if that market still exists, the manufacturers will keep making the clubs.

Bill

If you regret having to give up anchored putting in 2016, there's a simple solution. Don't give it up. A USGA handicap is not the be-all and end-all of recreational golf. I played for 40 years before I got one, and had lots of fun on the course in that time.

If you don't play in tournaments, if you just go out with your friends to have fun, anchor if you want to. Won't bother me.

I think this whole affair is a solution in desperate search of a problem.

BTW, I don't anchor. I tried it once and it was too much bother.

I just started using the long putter last year and it has made the game so much more enjoyable for me! I actually look forward to practicing my putting. I tried conventional putting for a few years when I first started playing, then moved to the belly putter on a whim, which felt really awkward, then tried the long putter. I will never give up my long stick! I will however, buy another conventional putter to practice with and hone my skill for local tourneys but will use the long putter for all recreational rounds.

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

If you regret having to give up anchored putting in 2016, there's a simple solution. Don't give it up. A USGA handicap is not the be-all and end-all of recreational golf. I played for 40 years before I got one, and had lots of fun on the course in that time.

If you don't play in tournaments, if you just go out with your friends to have fun, anchor if you want to. Won't bother me.

Thread winning statement.

If you are just out to have fun, anchor your putter.  Use a .900 COR driver.  Use a wedge with a sandpaper face.  If that is what it takes for you to have fun out on the course, have at it!  I'm not going to complain.

Unless you start to rub it in that you putt better than me.  Or can outdrive me.  Or if there is money on the line.......

Yes and lets get some of those extra long smaller Bandit golf balls, 600 cc driver by Bang golf and some Spin Doctor irons with extra deep groves. Screw you USGA. I am also going to start running out of the baseline when playing softball because it makes me "feel" good...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

For me, its not an option. I keep a GHIN handicap, the league I play in is by the rules and all the club events are by the rules.

Without playing by the rules and keeping legitimate scores its impossible to gage if you’re improving or not.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

For me, its not an option. I keep a GHIN handicap, the league I play in is by the rules and all the club events are by the rules.

Without playing by the rules and keeping legitimate scores its impossible to gage if you’re improving or not.

The ban will could certainly impact some peoples handicaps and potentially lead to sandbaggers taking advantage of the rule until 2016

Example,

Player using an anchored putting stroke has a -10 handicap currently and now decides to play with a unanchored stroke during non-tournament rounds.  The use of an unanchored putting stroke causes his official handicap to increase to -15 but when he enters tournaments he uses an anchored stroke which he's more proficient with.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

The ban will could certainly impact some peoples handicaps and potentially lead to sandbaggers taking advantage of the rule until 2016

Example,

Player using an anchored putting stroke has a -10 handicap currently and now decides to play with a unanchored stroke during non-tournament rounds.  The use of an unanchored putting stroke causes his official handicap to increase to -15 but when he enters tournaments he uses an anchored stroke which he's more proficient with.

That is not going to happen unless they spend a ton of time practicing with an anchored stroke.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by meenman

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Example,

That is not going to happen unless they spend a ton of time practicing with an anchored stroke.

He's talking about someone who already uses the anchored stroke.

But I would think anyone who would game the system that way is just as likely to simply miss some putts on purpose when playing non-competitive rounds... or just submit incorrect scores for that matter.

Bill

Note: This thread is 3954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!