IGNORED

Rhythm and Sequencing for Solid Impact Alignments: Key #3

Note: This thread is 3944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Nice video by James, builds upon what is being discussed in this thread

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love this video. I don't know if I ever really fully understood the importance of rhythm until watching it.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Isn't that a very similar movement to the pitching video posted on this site? were you create that float loading?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Nice video James, and thanks for posting Mike!  Ahhhh... Another issue I'm battling.  Tempo, and slowing down the thrust really helps clean up some of my heel side hits.

Originally Posted by saevel25

Isn't that a very similar movement to the pitching video posted on this site? were you create that float loading?

Different sequencing.  For pitching the float loading happens because of the way the club loads, and as the hips are turning the club is almost "behind" you.  Very lazy feeling.  For what James is describing, more of what Sergio tends to do, almost delays the loading of his wrists, then loads it on the downswing as he transfers.  Mostly comes down to getting the turning rates right, when the pivot stops, ideally the arms will stop.  If the arms run on, mostly due to the golfer stalling the pivot, that's when you'll tend to see the wrists unload too soon.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
Originally Posted by saevel25

We kind of refer to them both as a "float load" type feeling, but as Mike said they're pretty different in terms of how they're achieved.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Nice video James, and thanks for posting Mike!  Ahhhh... Another issue I'm battling.  Tempo, and slowing down the thrust really helps clean up some of my heel side hits.

Shawn, with love: stop with the massive checklists of swing errors. Things clean themselves up when you fix things. You can't - because not even Mike, Dave, James, nor I can - work on more than one or maaaaaybe two things at a time. Throw out your stupid checklist of 37 errors and work on one thing at a time.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

This is the exact movement one makes in cracking a whip or throwing a ball. The wrist cock increases at the start of the downswing. It doesn't reach full loading capacity on the backswing.

Constantine

Just so we're totally clear here:

James isn't just referring to an overloading of accumulator #2. He is also (and mostly) referring to the right wrist flying wedge overloading/too much right wrist dorsiflexion in the backswing. Correct or incorrect?

Therefore, that initial increase of "the angle" in the transition is in fact not just an increase in radial deviation, but also an increase in right wrist dorsiflexion. This is a primary aspect of "steep-to-shallow" that we often discuss here when talking about backswing vs. downswing shaft planes. Yes? No?

I ask because if I am correct, then referring to these things as just "the accumulators overloading" is not the best way to state this (unless we're including PA5 into the mix) because the flying wedge is not an accumulator (since PA5 is rarely discussed or even accepted, even though I myself know about it and accept it).

Thanks, guys.

Constantine

I read something recently that made me want to make this video here to ask you guys a basic question about the video in the OP, as well as Mike's video of how to create lag effectively.

My video's primary message : An introduction of a mental image to help someone understand how to get 1) pressure forward 2) their arms down more efficiently in the early to mid downswing and 3) how to feel an increase in the wrist angles in the transition.

What do you guys think? I realize this isn't a very hot topic since I seem to be more or less talking to myself here haha (as evidence by my three posts in a row over a period 10 days), but still, I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this feel I talk about in my video. Thanks!

• Upvote 3

Constantine

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I read something recently that made me want to make this video here to ask you guys a basic question about the video in the OP, as well as Mike's video of how to create lag effectively.

My video's primary message: An introduction of a mental image to help someone understand how to get 1) pressure forward 2) their arms down more efficiently in the early to mid downswing and 3) how to feel an increase in the wrist angles in the transition.

What do you guys think? I realize this isn't a very hot topic since I seem to be more or less talking to myself here haha (as evidence by my three posts in a row over a period 10 days), but still, I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this feel I talk about in my video. Thanks!

I think this is a great mental image. The pulley and weight idea immediately clicked with me. I think that is a great way to explain what I feel like I'm doing.

Hey, thanks! I'm glad you liked it. I probably should have posted this on Mike's creating lag thread, as it may be a bit more relevant to that conversation than this one, but oh well. Too late now.

This "feel" I talk about isn't something I invented of course, but I did incorporate how it can be used to bring the arms down and get pressure forward while also controlling one's shoulders. I dunno, I've struggled with that kind of stuff, and just doing phantom swings with this imagery seems to be beneficial.

Per the OP here though, understanding that the wrist angles have to load at a certain rate has been really important for me... and I know a lot of golfers out there just try to load and load and load those angles on the way back and then try to hold onto them for dear life on the way down -- clearly James has shown us that that really just makes the whole thing a lot harder than it has to be.

• Upvote 1

Constantine

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

JetFan - nice!

Yes, I have to agree. Jet, you need to have your own master thread. Call it "Sweeter than Yoo-Hoo".

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

JetFan - nice!

Yes, I have to agree. Jet, you need to have your own master thread. Call it "Sweeter than Yoo-Hoo".

Haha that'd be fun. I dunno if I can complete with the TS Blog though!!!

Shoot, I hijacked the crap out of this thread... really sorry about that... probably why I should start a different one, TS, haha.

If I can just hijack one last comment , and it's that the right arm plays a bigger and bigger role in that pull (or push, punch, or kung fu style palm strike, whatever feel makes sense) as the arms get lower and lower and then up and through the ball. I just wanted to add that since -- and Mike talks about this in the video on creating lag -- the right extension/piston firing of the right arm also fixes a left shoulder that raises too much.

Sorry for the hijack... I thought I should add that. And I've veered off topic... again... sorry, Mods. I'm even more sorry if what I'm saying isn't correct too and uses too many feel-related descriptions.

Constantine

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Haha that'd be fun. I dunno if I can complete with the TS Blog though!!!

Shoot, I hijacked the crap out of this thread... really sorry about that... probably why I should start a different one, TS, haha.

If I can just hijack one last comment, and it's that the right arm plays a bigger and bigger role in that pull (or push, punch, or kung fu style palm strike, whatever feel makes sense) as the arms get lower and lower and then up and through the ball. I just wanted to add that since -- and Mike talks about this in the video on creating lag -- the right extension/piston firing of the right arm also fixes a left shoulder that raises too much.

Lol, just one more hijack comment. Classic JetFan!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 3944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!