IGNORED

Cleaning irons after every shot.

Motley01
Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yeah I carry a wet towel and brush for this purpose. I may not do it right after each shot, just depends on pace of play.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I wet the end of my towel before every round and sometimes at the turn so I can wipe my clubs off. I generally do it after every shot as I'm walking to my next shot. This way I don't have to clean them after a round.

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

I thought tests have shown that a non-grooved club will spin the ball just as much as a grooved one, and that the grooves were only necessary to channel grass/water/etc away on shots in the wet or from the rough... I could be wrong...

I tend to disagree with that as an owner of 3 Vokey wedges... The grooves definitely do something. I can see how they may also double as a way to channel stuff away from the ball, but when you buy a new wedge Vokey/Cleveland etc. you can see proof that the grooves do something about every third shot with it, when you have to retire another scuffed up ball!

Bag:

DriverG25 or  XCG5 11.5* 3++ fairway wood

3w:  XCG6 15*

*5w: XCG6 18* (out if I bag my 3-iron)

Irons: Rocketbladez tour  3-pw(47*) (I sometimes bag the 3 iron but usually the 5w) 

Wedges:   SM-4  52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Versa #7 (white on black)

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

I thought tests have shown that a non-grooved club will spin the ball just as much as a grooved one, and that the grooves were only necessary to channel grass/water/etc away on shots in the wet or from the rough... I could be wrong...

Yes, I have heard that same thing.  (Probably on here, LOL)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If there is dirt in the grooves, I clean it with the brush right before hitting.  And I'm a little shocked to hear everyone saying how often they do this.  I rarely see people cleaning clubs while playing.  People make fun of me about the little brush.

Maybe off subject - do you think the wire brush is bad for the grooves?

If there is dirt in the grooves, I clean it with the brush right before hitting.  And I'm a little shocked to hear everyone saying how often they do this.  I rarely see people cleaning clubs while playing.  People make fun of me about the little brush. Maybe off subject - do you think the wire brush is bad for the grooves?

The wire brush for cleaning clubs is made of a soft metal, such as brass. Since it is made out of a material softer than what a club face is made out of, there should be no issues with it damaging the club or grooves. Now, the 'finish' is another topic.

I clean them well after each round but keep a towel and brush with me so that I can clean them as needed while playing.  At the range I go to I have less grass than on the courses I play and so keep the water bucket and brush in sight so I can clean as the situation dictates while I'm practicing.  I try not to hit many shots with dirt or mud in the grooves.

I usually only clean the club I am about to use on a Par 3, for whatever mentally insane reason (there's plenty of mental insanity involved in golf.. especially in my game). I typically take a tee and scrape out the lower half of the club face's grooves.

If I really chunk one out of the rough, or out of a bare lie, I'll use a towel if the dirt/mud is wet. If it's a hot, dry day and I have compacted dry dirt in the grooves, I'll use a tee again if it is really distracting.

I really don't pay much attention to the grooves though, so it's rare that it catches my attention enough to validate cleaning.

I do enjoy my Friday routine of polishing up the clubs and washing them while having a few cold ones outside though. I do this every Friday between 10am-12pm.

...It's 5 o'clock somewhere you bastards... don't judge me!

Time permitting, yes.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

This is a habit i wish i could form, cleaner clubs not only improves their effectiveness but your confidence over the ball

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

Most of the courses around here have a club and ball washer on every golf cart. I use them. After every shot I dip my iron in for a quick couple scrubs and then wipe it with my golf towel. I've gotten so used to it that now I get upset when I play a course that doesn't have a club washer on the golf cart.

#firstworldproblems

:envy:

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

I've seen some club brushes you can stick in the ground when practicing on the range. I should try to get hold of one.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Spit, scrub, and wipe after every shot. Although I never actually sit down to clean my clubs off the course.

• Upvote 1

:titleist: 913 D2 8.75* Adilia Tour Green 65 Stiff Shaft

Rocketballz Stage 2 3Wood 15* Stiff Shaft

Victory Red TW Forged Blades 3-PW Dynamic Gold S300 Shaft

CG Forged Dark Chrome CC Gap Wedge 52*

RAC Black TP 56*

:cleve: 588 RTX 60*

White Smoke IN-12 Blade Putter     Penta TP5

I try to wipe my clubs with a wet rag every every shot and if it's really muddy or sandy, I have a Froggy brush attached to my bag that I just give a quick scrub with and then stick the club back in my bag.

To me, doing this with my clubs, keeps me at a calm consistent pace versus just throwing my club back in the bag and hopping in the cart. Doing that makes me feel like I'm encouraging rushing, which everyone knows it's the worst thing you can do in our game.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Robinson

If I'm playing a round of golf, I clean it off so the grooves are clear.  If I play a tournament round, I make sure the whole clubface looks good, I don't know how much it helps but mentally, it makes me feel like I'm ready to hit a ball without any distraction or obstruction.

When I'm practicing on the driving range, I clean the club but I leave the debris in the grooves BECAUSE I practice a lot and I don't want to wear out my grooves from hitting range balls when I don't care about spin.  I also don't have money to buy brand new sets every year so I need these babies to last!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeph

Will dirt and stuff in the grooves keep them sharp longer?

No, that's a strange notion.  Just the opposite.  Hitting balls doesn't hurt the grooves, although hitting balls fat does because then you have mashed an abrasive between the ball and the club.  And leaving the grooves dirty accomplishes the same thing with every ball you hit.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Adding to the above post, I think you would have a hard time wearing out a set of irons in 1 year anyways... I hear irons are good for 10 years. Got mine last year, barely a mark on them and I use them plenty.

Originally Posted by Motley01

OK I maybe picky with my shiny new clubs. I even have iron covers for my AP2s.

After each shot, I clean the iron thouroghly, so there is no dirt or grass can be seen in the grooves.

So lets ask the question to everybody here, do you clean your clubs after each shot?

I don't necessarily clean my grooves after every shot..............but I do before every shot!! LOL

.....every serious golfer makes sure the grooves are clean before every shot.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I don't even clean my irons after every round. :)

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Note: This thread is 3990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!