IGNORED

Official 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3977 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

FYI, at noon EST: http://thesandtrap.com/b/pga/2013_us_open_at_merion_live_chat

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rowlf

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

why does wincing bother you?  I am sure it does not bother his playing partners as you suggest.  They probably don't even notice.  If he has an injury and it hurts, he will wince.  It is human nature.  He is not Vulcan.  Have you played with an elbow injury?  I have and it hurts.  But you push through it.  And you wince.

Even tough hockey players wince.  Nathan Horton of the Bruins was wincing last night every time he drove his injured shoulder into a Blackhawk.  Should I tell him to stop?  Should I tell him he is distracting the other hockey players with his nonsense?  Geez.

Have you played golf with a guy that would wince every single time he hit a golf shot? Yes, it does bother me. I haven't played through serious injury because I knew the best thing to do is to rest and recover if I have one.

To put it in parallel example with tennis, this is the reason why players were so annoyed with Djokovic earlier in his career. He would look sick every time he is losing a point and feel like he is going to lose a match just to put his opponent off or maybe find himself an excuse. He literally looked like he was dying.

Well I have, and yes, I probably winced a few times playing 14 holes with a broken bone in my left wrist.  I also shot my personal best for that course that day, so I guess it's okay if you want to be a wuss, but you have no business criticizing anyone else because they do choose to play through pain.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Saw Poulter and Watney last night at dinner at a place outside Merion. Might I say Poulter is reallll personable....or not. You stay classy Ian.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I actually like Day and Stricker today. Pulling for either one of them. Both great guys who deserve a W.

And my gawd so nice of Graeme to show up this week. I love this course and how sobering it has been for many big names.

Not a huge Phil phan, but I wouldn't mind seeing him break through and win the US Open.

I'd love to see Hunter Mahan win, though, if only because we share a name.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Well I have, and yes, I probably winced a few times playing 14 holes with a broken bone in my left wrist.  I also shot my personal best for that course that day, so I guess it's okay if you want to be a wuss, but you have no business criticizing anyone else because they do choose to play through pain. z7_no.gif

I agree with what Erik said ... It's not the wincing during/ immediately after the shot, it's the shaking his wrist and stretching it out all the way down the fairway. It's like he's trying extra hard to remind us he's hurt. That's not necessary.

Head over anytime to the chat on the TST blog homepage, or at: http://thesandtrap.com/b/pga/2013_us_open_at_merion_live_chat

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Well I have, and yes, I probably winced a few times playing 14 holes with a broken bone in my left wrist.  I also shot my personal best for that course that day, so I guess it's okay if you want to be a wuss, but you have no business criticizing anyone else because they do choose to play through pain.

I agree with what Erik said ... It's not the wincing during/ immediately after the shot, it's the shaking his wrist and stretching it out all the way down the fairway. It's like he's trying extra hard to remind us he's hurt. That's not necessary.

When have you ever seen Tiger look for an excuse for playing poorly.  He comes right out and says that he played poorly, no beating around the bush or making excuses.  The media is what makes all of the excuses for him.  We see Fred Couples stretching his back all the time between holes, yet nobody tries to accuse him of inventing an excuse.  Why the total reversal of reaction when Tiger tries to shake off a twinge?  I'm always amazes that no matter what he does, if Tiger isn't perfect in the eye of the beholder there has to be some subterfuge or hanky-panky going on.

• Upvote 2

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The telecast has been on for almost an hour. I have never seen so much BS instead of actual golf on telecast. I think I have seen 3 or 4 shots by Tiger, the hole in one by Stefani, and that is it. Mix in the sappy Father's day stories with all of the other crap, and I am about to throw up. And if I see that Samsung commercial one more time......I need a beer.

• Upvote 1

I JUST SAW TIGER TALK TO A RANGER!!! Omg golfers don't talk to rangers....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by rowlf

I believe most if not all elite sports person work very hard and most are carrying some sort of injury one way or the other going into a competition. You are unlikely to find anyone 100% fit with no injury whatsoever.

My gripe with Tiger is that why does it have to be one person who would make the field feel like they are winning only because the No.1 man is injured? Why can't he carry on with a bit more dignity? It wasn't the first time he was injured. He has been injured more seriously with a freaking potential career ending ACL and he did not wince once and in spite of that, and he won the Open and a lot of hearts in the process. I just find it so below him to do that and it frustrates me.

In any game and any competition, I am unlikely to enjoy playing with an opponent that display his injuries true or fake. It just put me off and made any potential victory feels hollow and unworthy. Similarly, I wouldn't want to put my opponents in the same situation. I think the game and opponents deserve a lot more respect than that.  If I am unfit, sick and ill, I will withdraw politely.

I tend to agree that we are talking Tiger to death.   He'll be back, and respect to him for grinding along instead of slamming his trunk on Sat and jetting off to the Bahamas with Vonn.

As for the wrist shaking, maybe I wouldn't shake my wrist if it or my elbow hurt.   Possible that Tiger has an ingrained habit going back to the time when he was a kid trying to emphasize to his dad that he hurt and wanted to stop.  Pop psychologizing...

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

When have you ever seen Tiger look for an excuse for playing poorly.  He comes right out and says that he played poorly, no beating around the bush or making excuses.  The media is what makes all of the excuses for him.  We see Fred Couples stretching his back all the time between holes, yet nobody tries to accuse him of inventing an excuse.  Why the total reversal of reaction when Tiger tries to shake off a twinge?  I'm always amazes that no matter what he does, if Tiger isn't perfect in the eye of the beholder there has to be some subterfuge or hanky-panky going on.

Fair point ... He could just be trying to stretch it out. It's hard to convey my lack of passion about the subject properly online, but my first thought when I see that, (and when Couples does the back thing, and when guys adamantly tap down a spike mark after a missed putt, and when football players writhe on the ground until the trainer comes out then somehow they jog off the field, and don't even get me started on South American soccer players), is that they're trying to subtly announce to the world that "it's not my fault." It doesn't bother me, I would just rather they didn't do it, I guess. :)

http://thesandtrap.com/b/pga/2013_us_open_at_merion_live_chat

In my bag:

http://thesandtrap.com/b/pga/2013_us_open_at_merion_live_chat

Stop pestering me, ill be there in a minute! I had a big breakfast and lots of coffee, what else can I say???

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Or he's just sore and it feels better to stretch if a bit after a painful impact.

Tiger is not a factor in this tournament anymore, we should really stop talking about him.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

One iron question.   Just saw a 1-iron handed across the table to Bob Kostas with the comment that that was the 1-iron hit by Hogan at Merion in 1950.  But I've read that that 1-iron was stolen from Hogan's bag not long after and that Hogan never replaced the club.   Which story is correct?

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

Note: This thread is 3977 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!