IGNORED

Missing Tee Markers

cipher
Note: This thread is 3925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you do if you get up to a tee box and the tee markers you have been playing are missing?  This happened to me this morning.  I was playing the middle tees.  The spot where they should be had nothing.  I looked and they were not placed with the back tees and they were not placed with the front tees.  I just decided to tee off where they normally should be.  What should I have done?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by cipher

What do you do if you get up to a tee box and the tee markers you have been playing are missing?  This happened to me this morning.  I was playing the middle tees.  The spot where they should be had nothing.  I looked and they were not placed with the back tees and they were not placed with the front tees.  I just decided to tee off where they normally should be.  What should I have done?

Been there, and I did the same thing. Not sure about the ruling though...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Since it was a casual round, there wasn't much else you could do.  If it had been a competition, then you'd have had to contact the committee for assistance.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Since it was a casual round, there wasn't much else you could do.  If it had been a competition, then you'd have had to contact the committee for assistance.

Ok to post the round to the HC system or no?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Quote:

Ok to post the round to the HC system or no?

I'd say yes.  At worst you would take that hole as unplayed and score par plus any handicap strokes you would receive there.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'd say yes.  At worst you would take that hole as unplayed and score par plus any handicap strokes you would receive there.

Ok, thanks for the help!

Nate

I play often early in the morning (6am) at a local par 3 course.  The maintenance guy is out there at the same time getting everything ready for the day and the tee markers are often sitting off to the side on several holes.  Granted, its not even a rated course so I don't have to worry about posting, but what I do is what you did.  I just tee up near the plaque, or where the markers are sitting with the assumption that that is where he's going to place them when he's done mowing.

If it were a rated course, I'd have no problem posting the score while playing that way.  Or, you could always do what fourputt said too.  (I have a bit of a fear of ever being labeled as a sandbagger so I'd always err on the vanity side.  So perhaps, if you play the hole poorly, go with fourputt's plan, but if you play it well, play it as scored. ;))

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I play often early in the morning (6am) at a local par 3 course.  The maintenance guy is out there at the same time getting everything ready for the day and the tee markers are often sitting off to the side on several holes.  Granted, its not even a rated course so I don't have to worry about posting, but what I do is what you did.  I just tee up near the plaque, or where the markers are sitting with the assumption that that is where he's going to place them when he's done mowing.

If it were a rated course, I'd have no problem posting the score while playing that way.  Or, you could always do what fourputt said too.  (I have a bit of a fear of ever being labeled as a sandbagger so I'd always err on the vanity side.  So perhaps, if you play the hole poorly, go with fourputt's plan, but if you play it well, play it as scored. ;))

Yeah I went fairway, green, three putt, bogey on it.  Haha!

Nate

Yeah I went fairway, green, three putt, bogey on it.  Haha!

LOL, if it was one of the top 4 handicap holes then it's probably a wash anyway!

At my league course last year, on one par three, the tees were reversed with the second to last tees behind the tips.  We felt that someone had moved them on us, but we hit from there anyway.

In the fall, another course I play a lot will only have one set of tees, the whites (second to last).  Of course, I play with my wife and other women friends, so we just have them hit from where they normally would.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

LOL, if it was one of the top 4 handicap holes then it's probably a wash anyway!

Yeah it is number 3. I think it is really number one. Says it plays 430 from the blues but if I measure it out, ATCF it is 457. It always seems to play into the wind. Today it was driver 3 iron for me, and it left me a ridiculous chance to two putt. Below is the hole and the red line is where I played from and the ATCF measurement. I was tempted to play the whites. ;)

Nate

One of the courses my leagues likes to play every year is an interesting place.  The have a really nice course but amenities are no existant.  No snack bar, no beverage cart, no driving range, not putting green and apparently no money to paint the tee markers.  Some of their tee boxes are not right together.  On a couple of holes, there may be tees to the far right and 50 yards behind some bushes to the left is another set of tees.  Since none of the tee markers are painted, it is a crap shoot as to where you should be hitting from.  We had a real situation occur in our 2 day league championship because it was one of the courses that had been voted in to play. They had 5 sets of tees.  Normally, we would be playing the middle set of tees for regular men (2 up from back or 2 back from front),the seniors would play one up from there and the ladies the front set of tees.  Well damn, on one hole, a set of tee markers were missing.  Since most of the players are regular men players, many of them played from different tees than did the other men.  And, on the hole with the hidden tee markers, even more people played from the wrong place.  It was a mess.  We elected to let the score stand and not penalize anyone.  "In equity" hard to penalize someone because of the course screwup.  We play early in the AM so it is not like we have a full committee who can go out, inspect and mark the golf course before we play it.

Since people do like to play there, now every time we play there, I print out large red, white, gold (18 each) blocks on paper, put an officer in the very first group out, hand him the paper, a bag of tees and have him stick those in the ground next to the markers where the remaining groups will be playing.  It is all we can do...short of buying paint and donating it to the golf course.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Originally Posted by boogielicious

In the fall, another course I play a lot will only have one set of tees, the whites (second to last).  Of course, I play with my wife and other women friends, so we just have them hit from where they normally would.

There could be a maintenance reason not to have more than one tee available off-season. But if this was the case, they should put all tee markers in the same box. This way there would not be confusion.

Same story different day. Missing middle tee markers on the same hole.

Nate

Yeah it is number 3. I think it is really number one. Says it plays 430 from the blues but if I measure it out, ATCF it is 457. It always seems to play into the wind. Today it was driver 3 iron for me, and it left me a ridiculous chance to two putt. Below is the hole and the red line is where I played from and the ATCF measurement. I was tempted to play the whites. ;)

Cipher pressing the Print Screen button may work to take screenshots of your monitor.

Originally Posted by RickK

One of the courses my leagues likes to play every year is an interesting place.  The have a really nice course but amenities are no existant.  No snack bar, no beverage cart, no driving range, not putting green and apparently no money to paint the tee markers.  Some of their tee boxes are not right together.  On a couple of holes, there may be tees to the far right and 50 yards behind some bushes to the left is another set of tees.  Since none of the tee markers are painted, it is a crap shoot as to where you should be hitting from.  We had a real situation occur in our 2 day league championship because it was one of the courses that had been voted in to play. They had 5 sets of tees.  Normally, we would be playing the middle set of tees for regular men (2 up from back or 2 back from front),the seniors would play one up from there and the ladies the front set of tees.  Well damn, on one hole, a set of tee markers were missing.  Since most of the players are regular men players, many of them played from different tees than did the other men.  And, on the hole with the hidden tee markers, even more people played from the wrong place.  It was a mess.  We elected to let the score stand and not penalize anyone.  "In equity" hard to penalize someone because of the course screwup.  We play early in the AM so it is not like we have a full committee who can go out, inspect and mark the golf course before we play it.

Since people do like to play there, now every time we play there, I print out large red, white, gold (18 each) blocks on paper, put an officer in the very first group out, hand him the paper, a bag of tees and have him stick those in the ground next to the markers where the remaining groups will be playing.  It is all we can do...short of buying paint and donating it to the golf course.

Rick what course is this?

Huh.....  I'm curious, what did they say in the proshop?

Play from the center of the box, or hell, anywhere you like.  Since the spot you choose is consistent for each competitor (your happy little group) it makes no difference.  From a hcp posting perspective, the tees on individual holes make no difference at all as long as they're not located so far away from where they would normally be that it would change the rating/slope of the course itself.  Not likely.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by TJBam

Cipher pressing the Print Screen button may work to take screenshots of your monitor.

Rick what course is this?

I tried but I cannot get it to work.  I can capture it but when I paste, it is just a white box.  Something must be up with my browser settings.

Originally Posted by David in FL

Huh.....  I'm curious, what did they say in the proshop?

Play from the center of the box, or hell, anywhere you like.  Since the spot you choose is consistent for each competitor (your happy little group) it makes no difference.  From a hcp posting perspective, the tees on individual holes make no difference at all as long as they're not located so far away from where they would normally be that it would change the rating/slope of the course itself.  Not likely.....

I forgot to ask them.  If I remember I will ask them tomorrow morning.  For whatever reason this is just a weird hole it says it should be 466 from the back and it measures out ATCF from the back at 495.  I can hardly even reach that with a good driver and a perfect 3w.  I play it from the middle box where they have the blues even though it still measures out at 457 instead of the 430 on the card.  I always play the blues on this nine if I am just doing nine holes because of this silly hole.

Nate

Pasted it into a paint doc and then saved it and loaded it.  Here is a better picture of the hole and the measurements.

Nate

Note: This thread is 3925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!