• Announcements

    • iacas

      Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

      Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cipher

Missing Tee Markers

22 posts in this topic

What do you do if you get up to a tee box and the tee markers you have been playing are missing?  This happened to me this morning.  I was playing the middle tees.  The spot where they should be had nothing.  I looked and they were not placed with the back tees and they were not placed with the front tees.  I just decided to tee off where they normally should be.  What should I have done?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Originally Posted by cipher

What do you do if you get up to a tee box and the tee markers you have been playing are missing?  This happened to me this morning.  I was playing the middle tees.  The spot where they should be had nothing.  I looked and they were not placed with the back tees and they were not placed with the front tees.  I just decided to tee off where they normally should be.  What should I have done?

Been there, and I did the same thing. Not sure about the ruling though...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since it was a casual round, there wasn't much else you could do.  If it had been a competition, then you'd have had to contact the committee for assistance.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Since it was a casual round, there wasn't much else you could do.  If it had been a competition, then you'd have had to contact the committee for assistance.

Ok to post the round to the HC system or no?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by cipher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Since it was a casual round, there wasn't much else you could do.  If it had been a competition, then you'd have had to contact the committee for assistance.

Ok to post the round to the HC system or no?

I'd say yes.  At worst you would take that hole as unplayed and score par plus any handicap strokes you would receive there.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I'd say yes.  At worst you would take that hole as unplayed and score par plus any handicap strokes you would receive there.

Ok, thanks for the help!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play often early in the morning (6am) at a local par 3 course.  The maintenance guy is out there at the same time getting everything ready for the day and the tee markers are often sitting off to the side on several holes.  Granted, its not even a rated course so I don't have to worry about posting, but what I do is what you did.  I just tee up near the plaque, or where the markers are sitting with the assumption that that is where he's going to place them when he's done mowing.

If it were a rated course, I'd have no problem posting the score while playing that way.  Or, you could always do what fourputt said too.  (I have a bit of a fear of ever being labeled as a sandbagger so I'd always err on the vanity side.  So perhaps, if you play the hole poorly, go with fourputt's plan, but if you play it well, play it as scored. ;))

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I play often early in the morning (6am) at a local par 3 course.  The maintenance guy is out there at the same time getting everything ready for the day and the tee markers are often sitting off to the side on several holes.  Granted, its not even a rated course so I don't have to worry about posting, but what I do is what you did.  I just tee up near the plaque, or where the markers are sitting with the assumption that that is where he's going to place them when he's done mowing.

If it were a rated course, I'd have no problem posting the score while playing that way.  Or, you could always do what fourputt said too.  (I have a bit of a fear of ever being labeled as a sandbagger so I'd always err on the vanity side.  So perhaps, if you play the hole poorly, go with fourputt's plan, but if you play it well, play it as scored. ;))

Yeah I went fairway, green, three putt, bogey on it.  Haha!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by cipher

Yeah I went fairway, green, three putt, bogey on it.  Haha!

LOL, if it was one of the top 4 handicap holes then it's probably a wash anyway!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At my league course last year, on one par three, the tees were reversed with the second to last tees behind the tips.  We felt that someone had moved them on us, but we hit from there anyway.

In the fall, another course I play a lot will only have one set of tees, the whites (second to last).  Of course, I play with my wife and other women friends, so we just have them hit from where they normally would.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

LOL, if it was one of the top 4 handicap holes then it's probably a wash anyway!

Yeah it is number 3. I think it is really number one. Says it plays 430 from the blues but if I measure it out, ATCF it is 457. It always seems to play into the wind. Today it was driver 3 iron for me, and it left me a ridiculous chance to two putt. Below is the hole and the red line is where I played from and the ATCF measurement. I was tempted to play the whites. ;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Since it was a casual round, there wasn't much else you could do.  If it had been a competition, then you'd have had to contact the committee for assistance.

One of the courses my leagues likes to play every year is an interesting place.  The have a really nice course but amenities are no existant.  No snack bar, no beverage cart, no driving range, not putting green and apparently no money to paint the tee markers.  Some of their tee boxes are not right together.  On a couple of holes, there may be tees to the far right and 50 yards behind some bushes to the left is another set of tees.  Since none of the tee markers are painted, it is a crap shoot as to where you should be hitting from.  We had a real situation occur in our 2 day league championship because it was one of the courses that had been voted in to play. They had 5 sets of tees.  Normally, we would be playing the middle set of tees for regular men (2 up from back or 2 back from front),the seniors would play one up from there and the ladies the front set of tees.  Well damn, on one hole, a set of tee markers were missing.  Since most of the players are regular men players, many of them played from different tees than did the other men.  And, on the hole with the hidden tee markers, even more people played from the wrong place.  It was a mess.  We elected to let the score stand and not penalize anyone.  "In equity" hard to penalize someone because of the course screwup.  We play early in the AM so it is not like we have a full committee who can go out, inspect and mark the golf course before we play it.

Since people do like to play there, now every time we play there, I print out large red, white, gold (18 each) blocks on paper, put an officer in the very first group out, hand him the paper, a bag of tees and have him stick those in the ground next to the markers where the remaining groups will be playing.  It is all we can do...short of buying paint and donating it to the golf course.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by boogielicious

In the fall, another course I play a lot will only have one set of tees, the whites (second to last).  Of course, I play with my wife and other women friends, so we just have them hit from where they normally would.

There could be a maintenance reason not to have more than one tee available off-season. But if this was the case, they should put all tee markers in the same box. This way there would not be confusion.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by cipher

Yeah it is number 3. I think it is really number one. Says it plays 430 from the blues but if I measure it out, ATCF it is 457. It always seems to play into the wind. Today it was driver 3 iron for me, and it left me a ridiculous chance to two putt. Below is the hole and the red line is where I played from and the ATCF measurement. I was tempted to play the whites. ;)

Cipher pressing the Print Screen button may work to take screenshots of your monitor.

Originally Posted by RickK

One of the courses my leagues likes to play every year is an interesting place.  The have a really nice course but amenities are no existant.  No snack bar, no beverage cart, no driving range, not putting green and apparently no money to paint the tee markers.  Some of their tee boxes are not right together.  On a couple of holes, there may be tees to the far right and 50 yards behind some bushes to the left is another set of tees.  Since none of the tee markers are painted, it is a crap shoot as to where you should be hitting from.  We had a real situation occur in our 2 day league championship because it was one of the courses that had been voted in to play. They had 5 sets of tees.  Normally, we would be playing the middle set of tees for regular men (2 up from back or 2 back from front),the seniors would play one up from there and the ladies the front set of tees.  Well damn, on one hole, a set of tee markers were missing.  Since most of the players are regular men players, many of them played from different tees than did the other men.  And, on the hole with the hidden tee markers, even more people played from the wrong place.  It was a mess.  We elected to let the score stand and not penalize anyone.  "In equity" hard to penalize someone because of the course screwup.  We play early in the AM so it is not like we have a full committee who can go out, inspect and mark the golf course before we play it.

Since people do like to play there, now every time we play there, I print out large red, white, gold (18 each) blocks on paper, put an officer in the very first group out, hand him the paper, a bag of tees and have him stick those in the ground next to the markers where the remaining groups will be playing.  It is all we can do...short of buying paint and donating it to the golf course.

Rick what course is this?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh.....  I'm curious, what did they say in the proshop?

Play from the center of the box, or hell, anywhere you like.  Since the spot you choose is consistent for each competitor (your happy little group) it makes no difference.  From a hcp posting perspective, the tees on individual holes make no difference at all as long as they're not located so far away from where they would normally be that it would change the rating/slope of the course itself.  Not likely.....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by TJBam

Cipher pressing the Print Screen button may work to take screenshots of your monitor.

Rick what course is this?

I tried but I cannot get it to work.  I can capture it but when I paste, it is just a white box.  Something must be up with my browser settings.

Originally Posted by David in FL

Huh.....  I'm curious, what did they say in the proshop?

Play from the center of the box, or hell, anywhere you like.  Since the spot you choose is consistent for each competitor (your happy little group) it makes no difference.  From a hcp posting perspective, the tees on individual holes make no difference at all as long as they're not located so far away from where they would normally be that it would change the rating/slope of the course itself.  Not likely.....

I forgot to ask them.  If I remember I will ask them tomorrow morning.  For whatever reason this is just a weird hole it says it should be 466 from the back and it measures out ATCF from the back at 495.  I can hardly even reach that with a good driver and a perfect 3w.  I play it from the middle box where they have the blues even though it still measures out at 457 instead of the 430 on the card.  I always play the blues on this nine if I am just doing nine holes because of this silly hole.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pasted it into a paint doc and then saved it and loaded it.  Here is a better picture of the hole and the measurements.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • There are several statements that I disagree with which I feel are important to discuss: All golf balls do not go about the same distance.  A low compression, 2-piece Surlyn covered model will launch higher and with less spin than a 5-piece, high compression urethane covered model which will result in a noticeable difference in distance off the tee.  Dean even stated in another answer "The soft golf ball market has taken off due to the lower spinning balls means players can be longer in distance." Regarding balls for different swing speeds and compression:  3) Bridgestone (and I think Callaway) has come out with tour caliber balls for players who swing under 105mph. Is it possible to design a tour caliber ball for a specific segment of swing speed or is this just mostly a marketing thing?  DEAN: The whole swing speed story to me is one of the most over-rated stories in golf. Companies force or teach golfers to play low compression balls so their low swing speed can compress the ball. The problem with this is that low compression balls have the lowest spin in all shots, so they are pushing players to play a ball with no performance at all… and when you need that spin around the green, it's not there…            I almost don't know where to start on this one.  The concept of designing golf balls based on swing speeds doesn't teach or force players to use a low compression ball...it's about using a ball that has the appropriate compression for your swing speed.  Some players will have better results with a higher compression ball, others will have better results with a lower compression.  Keep in mind, there is a difference between "lower compression" and "low compression".  Most of the urethane tour balls have a compression rating somewhere between the mid 70s to mid 90s.  Tour models like the Chrome Soft, B330-RX and B330-RXS are in the mid 60s, which is lower.  Balls like the Supersoft and e6 are in the upper 30s and 40s, which is considered low.  Dean's statement that "low compression balls have the lowest spin on all shots" is somewhere between a little misleading and flat-out wrong.  It's true that a lower compression ball will spin less (and launch higher) than a firmer ball on full shots.  But on short game shots around the green, the ball is not compressed.  On pitch shots, chip shots, and greenside bunker shots for example,    the only part of the ball that is being activated is the cover. Notice on this chart that the lowest compression ball is very close to the highest spinning, and the lowest spinning ball has almost the same compression rating!  The point is, compression has little to no affect on short game shots...the cover is the main factor.  All 4 of these models have a urethane cover, but the two that provide the most spin have softer covers.  To put this in context, the chart below was a test Golf Digest did in 2015 which shows the performance on a partial wedge shot (I think it was 40 yds) with most of the balls on the market at the time The different colors represented the price point.  These results don't match the first chart I posted exactly which can happen when player testing (this one shows the B330 has higher spin than the RXS). Is there a difference between the lower spinning "red dots" and the highest spinning?  Sure.  There should be though.  Golf balls are designed to have different types of performance for different types of players.  The B330-RX has the lowest spin among the red dot models, but that doesn't mean it's lacking in performance...it spins exactly how the ball designers intended it to, because not everyone wants/needs maximum spin.  Notice the e7...this is a high compression ball very comparable to the B330, but has very different spin characteristics. So again, higher compression doesn't mean higher spin around the green and lower compression doesn't necessarily mean low spin.  About the only thing that I could agree with Dean's comment on would be that all the ultra-low compression balls are Surlyn covered models designed for distance, so it's true that these balls have low spin on all shots and will not offer the same level of performance around the greens, but again, that has more to do with the cover than the compression.  The fact is, there are lower compression balls that perform at the highest level. The B330-RXS is the same type of ball as the Pro V1 in many respects, and performs just as well as, or even better for many players, so I'm surprised by his comments that fitting for swing speed is over-rated and lower compression balls have no performance.  That's like saying getting fit for the correct shaft flex is over-rated, and softer flex shafts don't perform as well as stiffer shafts!  Does anyone consider the Dynamic Gold S-300 to be a lower performing shaft than the Dynamic Gold X-100?  No, of course not. They are designed to do the same thing, but because some players don't swing as fast as others the softer flex will give them better results, just like the B330-RXS is the equal to the B330-S, but will fit players who don't swing as hard better. I'm also not on-board with the opinion that fitting with a driver is a "mistake" and when testing to choose a ball based on 100 yds and in.  I'm not saying that short game performance isn't important, but wow...to claim that testing with a driver is a mistake is ridiculous.  I'll make a simple point on this...anyone can hit good wedge shots with a Pro V1 or B330 or Z-Star.  Fast swingers, slower swingers, high handicappers, low handicappers...it doesn't matter, they can all get good results on wedge shots.  Does that mean that's the ball they should play, and it will work equally as well for the other aspects too?  No.  A wedge can mask any issues in performance because of the loft and backspin, but the driver exaggerates issues.  The same players who hit respectable wedge shots with various tour balls might struggle to keep shots in play or lose potential distance. And before anyone tries to use the old "the driver is used 14 times a round, but half of the shots are inside of 100 yds" argument...save it.  If you play a high spin ball and you're struggling to hit the fairway with your tee shots, that ball will not help you save shots around the green.  Too much spin for players who can't control it is worse than a lower spinning model. Sorry Dean...not trying to blast you or anything, just putting in my two cents.  Ok, maybe more like four cents!
    • So......Is this your point @Jack Watson?
    • https://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/titleist_716_ap1_review My review for the site is above. I've been using them since writing this review. Excellent clubs. One watch out is with short game shots with the PW and GW. They will go a bit farther than a corresponding chip or pitch with the equivalent wedge. The ball feels like it jumps off the face with good contact. So be careful with that.
    • Thanks for all the comments. I realize change is always hard but single length, lie and weight make so much sense to me. I am going to build a set of Value Golf clubs and see what happens. As improve I may go back to normal but who knows.  I think it will be better for learning the overall game. Which in my opinion and observance needs a lot of help. In my other hobbies that required learned skills it was easy to find groups to help you with the skills and drills to improve them. Businesses that the hobby supported held seminars and workshops covering all aspects. Trying to find help, other than paid lessons, is impossible, at least in my area. 
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Golfgirl10543
      Golfgirl10543
      (43 years old)
    2. jkettman
      jkettman
      (28 years old)
    3. old man1953
      old man1953
      (64 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon