IGNORED

"At least I am pin high."

trackster
Note: This thread is 3928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[QUOTE name="geauxforbroke" url="/t/68732/at-least-i-am-pin-high#post_873471"] When someone tops one down the left side of the fairway on a hole with a back right pin, I like to say " that's a good angle". a3_biggrin.gif [/QUOTE] Now that you mention it, I really hate that quote as well.  What difference does it make?  Most people aim right at the hole anyway and hope for the best.

It can make a huge difference.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Similar to what the OP describes, it always cracks me up when someone hits a shot, it lands 10 yards in front of the green, and bounces and rolls onto the green. They may have hit to a pin 150 yds away and used a 7 iron. So, they say their 7 iron is their 150 club. Those are the folks that will most likely double bogey every hole that has any trouble guarding the front of the green...

Now that you mention it, I really hate that quote as well.  What difference does it make?  Most people aim right at the hole anyway and hope for the best.

You say "most people" but I would tend to think that golfers that know how manage a course don't do that at all. If you know how to manage a course/your game you will aim for the "no trouble spot" with a shot shape towards this pin if you hit it perfect. So I'd have to agree that it can make a huge difference... I was playing a couple weeks ago with a guy that hit his 5w really thin then proceeded to say that it was a good stinger when he clearly just hit it thin.

Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r

Similar to what the OP describes, it always cracks me up when someone hits a shot, it lands 10 yards in front of the green, and bounces and rolls onto the green. They may have hit to a pin 150 yds away and used a 7 iron. So, they say their 7 iron is their 150 club. Those are the folks that will most likely double bogey every hole that has any trouble guarding the front of the green...

lol

Seen this a lot. Knowing the carry of your clubs is probably even more important than their total distance.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I do think about being pin high, but I don't mention it to anyone on a bad shot. Knowing your carry distance is very important, so I always evaluate my shots in terms of how far I hit it, even if I missed the green. If I'm pin high, it means I probably chose the right club and hit it somewhat solid, but didn't hit my target.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Yeah, I laugh at people when they hit a ball on the green too.  silly chops.

(I do agree but thought the wry response was more productive on a thread where it appears people should just hit, say nothing, and not make eye contact or talk, maybe wear a nice watch -

I define my club mainly as to the typical carry distance.  Not my absolute 'pure' distance, not my carry plus roll on hard ground, etc etc).

Bill - 

Originally Posted by MEfree

I only hit 3 fairways but hit 14 GIR (15 if you count a pin high fringe)-

You count pin high fringe as GIR.  ("that's so annoying")

HOW DARE YOU?

Bill - 

In that case "I took a low loft to get some roll out of it because I wanted to roll up to the green to take advantage of the good putt it left me."

Uhhh huh

Originally Posted by TJBam

Quote:

In that case "I took a low loft to get some roll out of it because I wanted to roll up to the green to take advantage of the good putt it left me."

Uhhh huh

Or "I'm practicing my links golf".

Tyler Martin

I say it to describe where I hit a shot, i.e. "I was pin high right and was able to get up and down". But I don't use it as justification for a bad shot. A miss is a miss.

Same here. I just get mad. Haha. [quote name="MS256" url="/t/68732/at-least-i-am-pin-high#post_873412"]I might change my mind sometime in the future (if I ever start hitting the ball straight) but since about 95% of my misses are left or right (usually left) I couldn't care less if they are "pin high", and would trade all of my pin highs for straight shots. When I miss left the only things I'm thinking or saying from the minute I hit it would be R Rated. At least when I hit the ball straight I get the thrill of rooting for it in the air. [/quote] Haha same here.

Maybe its looking at the "glass half full" mentality.  As much as these platitudes may get on your nerves I can say that playing with someone who rants/raves/throws clubs, etc. because in reality they are a high handicapper and in their mind they are Tiger Woods is equally as irritating.  I have a buddy (6'5" / 280lbs) that is a high handicapper and has huge meltdowns on the course - to the point folks won't talk to him or make eye contact.  I've seen him break a rented pull-cart in half because he hit into the same water hazard twice (funny as hell).

I enjoy golfing with him but I'd prefer a few more "at least (insert half full comment here)...." than the hulk he turns into at times.

"Golf is a game in which you yell 'fore', shoot six and write down five." - Paul Harvey

I don't know what's wrong with saying it was "pin high" or "the right club"? There are plenty of times that I've used those phrases because it was the correct assessment. I don't count pin high as "I can see the pin" I count it as I'm straight out to the side of the pin. Also, knowing you hit the right club for the distance is useful for the next time you have the same distance shot. There are a lot of times other people will tell me these things also. Something like, "that was perfect distance, look you are sitting pin high with a lot of green to work with".

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I don't know what's wrong with saying it was "pin high" or "the right club"? There are plenty of times that I've used those phrases because it was the correct assessment. I don't count pin high as "I can see the pin" I count it as I'm straight out to the side of the pin. Also, knowing you hit the right club for the distance is useful for the next time you have the same distance shot. There are a lot of times other people will tell me these things also. Something like, "that was perfect distance, look you are sitting pin high with a lot of green to work with".

"On the dance floor, but can barely hear the music..."

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I think the OP was more annoyed with the fact that the guy used the phrase when it didn't apply, not so much the phrase itself.

I do the same as you do.  I like to know that I had the correct club had I hit it straight.  I usually point it out when the ball is only 10-20 feet away from the hole (so already a good shot) but is literally perfect distance to within inches.  That is when I'll say something.

Originally Posted by TJBam

"On the dance floor, but can barely hear the music..."

Rofl, I'll have to remember that one.

When someone has a long putt and leaves it way short I'll always tell them to put down their purse next time and they'll hit it further.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Or "I'm practicing my links golf".

Did you guys see Phil with his Trophy on CNBC today? Maria asked him something about growing the popularity of the game and he talked about opening up the fronts of greens so women and JRs could roll the ball up.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Pin high doesn't mean anything, I would rather be below the hole if I have an uphill put rather than a downhiller.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

Note: This thread is 3928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!